How do I prevent this error message from showing?

By on October 10, 2012 9:13:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Kamidan

Join Date 03/2006

Hello,

I play a couple of older games and use some software that apparently must turn my Windows 7 Aero desktop into classic mode while playing the game or using the software.

Underneath my game just now I heard a couple of windows error sounds and so I quit my game and found a couple of Fences error messages telling me that it's folder portal feature is not available in classic mode.

That's fine and all, I don't really care, but I want to stop these messages without having to shut down Fences everytime that I want to play one of these games or use one of the software programs.

How do I go about making Fences not popup these error messages?  When I just tried playing a certain game again I ignored the error sounds and when I came out of the game I didn't have just 2 error messages as seen above, but rather my screen was flooded with the same error message over and over again.

Thanks

If turning off fences is my only option, then how do I go about disabling Fences while I'm using those games or software programs?  I would have thought it would be as simple as right clicking on my desktop and finding an option something that might say "disable Fences" but I don't see anything like that.

25 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 10, 2012 9:19:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I expect you'll have to close fences.

I'll probably soon know for sure...as running FSX disables Aero......

October 10, 2012 9:32:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Okay so how do I close fences?

I don't see any option to close fences down in my desktop right click menu, and I don't find fences in the task manager process list.

This is after like 2 minutes into the game.

October 10, 2012 9:47:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hopefully there will be a way to disable the error messages....I have a feeling I am going to NEED one too....

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 10, 2012 9:50:59 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

SO HOW DO I CLOSE FENCES?

October 10, 2012 9:55:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Open the Fences config and at the bottom of the home page is the option to enable/disable.

October 10, 2012 9:55:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Kamidan,
SO HOW DO I CLOSE FENCES?

Fences....tools....uncheck 'enable fences' ...

October 10, 2012 10:03:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We'll get that addressed.

Kris

October 10, 2012 10:05:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks, Kris......

You're a star....

October 10, 2012 10:08:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks folks, at least for now I can still play games and use the software by turning Fences off.  Thanks for telling me how to do it, I don't know why I didn't see that, maybe I didn't scroll down far enough on the home page of the fence config window I guess.

October 10, 2012 12:09:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yikes! Thanks for letting us know. Fixed this for the next update.

October 21, 2012 3:26:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I assume this fix will cover many different scenarios, but I routinely change users in Windows, without fully logging out, which triggers the same message. Very annoying.  Also, once this message is triggered, I often have to manually reorganize the icons, which have been unceremoniously dumped into the main desktop.  This is a showstopper for me.

October 21, 2012 4:34:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting JMB1984,
Yikes! Thanks for letting us know. Fixed this for the next update.

Great, thanks.  When will the next update be available and how do I download the update?

October 21, 2012 9:20:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Timothy_Hanna,
Great, thanks. When will the next update be available and how do I download the update?

Via Stardock Central....current update looks like 2.00.2 ....

November 23, 2012 1:11:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Isn't there a way to get it from the "my downloads" section of this stardock.com website?  I just went there and it still shows something like 2.01.0 as the download.

Edit: Derp, I guess 2.01.0 is newer than 2.00.2  My mistake, sorry.

November 23, 2012 1:14:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Another herp-a-derp moment.  Ignore this post.  No delete post button that I could find to get rid of this one, sorry.

November 26, 2012 5:08:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

OK, I want to add to this - although I have not tried it with Fences 2.x yet, one such game is Age of Empires III (by... Microsoft ).
So, maybe the Fences makers can test with that game too. 

December 15, 2012 4:56:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
After grabbing a couple of DOSbox games from GoG, Fences 2.01 is also interrupting me upon launch the games that turn Aero off. Could we get the ability to suppress the Fences error message with 2.02?
December 15, 2012 7:47:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Burningfeetman,
After grabbing a couple of DOSbox games from GoG, Fences 2.01 is also interrupting me upon launch the games that turn Aero off. Could we get the ability to suppress the Fences error message with 2.02?

I think that's the plan...though we'll need to wait and see...

January 7, 2013 11:21:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I get this message very frequently, and I do not run games, except the occasional Freecell.  Yes, I am running Aero / Windows 7.  Fences is ver. 2.01.

From the above, it looks like this should be fixed in this version, but it does not seem to be.  Any solution in sight?

January 23, 2013 6:53:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Further to this, lately I've been catching the train a lot, and I noticed this message also prompts when switching windows 7 to "Power Saving", as the Aero theme is disabled. Could we get confirmation from Stardock that this problem has been noted and is set to be fixed?

January 24, 2013 10:15:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

An internal beta build has a fix.

January 28, 2013 4:40:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This awesome news! Thanks heaps for listening Stardock! ^___^

October 11, 2013 3:04:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

So ... has this been fixed yet?

October 22, 2013 3:34:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Having recently returned to playing FSX after an absence of many months I can't believe this "feature" is still present. It's been over a year since this thread started, and nine months since the internal beta that supposedly included a fix, yet I'm still seeing it in v2.11. If there's an option to turn it off buried somewhere in the options, I've yet to find it.

Is there a registry hack or something we can do to stop this dialog from appearing? As it's an advisory rather than an actual error message it's particularly annoying that it can't be suppressed. And if you Alt-Tab between Aero and non-Aero apps the damned thing spawn another copy every time the Desktop redraws. Am I going to have to install RTVReco or something similar just to make this thing go away?

October 22, 2013 7:50:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting denali_uk,
Having recently returned to playing FSX after an absence of many months I can't believe this "feature" is still present.

FSX interferes with Aero.  It almost always dumps me out.....and since I skin the aircraft I almost always have FSX loaded ... 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000593   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.