Fences version 2.0 is now available, introduces folder portals and desktop pages!

By on October 9, 2012 12:27:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+597

Fences is a program that helps you organize your desktop. It can hide icons when they are not in use as well as make it easy to place icons into moveable groups called fences.

NEW IN VERSION 2.0

Make Your Desktop a Portal to Your Files

Expose folders containing documents or pictures onto your desktop in fenced areas making them easy to access.

Multiple Desktop Pages

You can now have multiple pages of fences on your desktop. To flip a page, just take your mouse cursor to the edge of your screen and click and drag a new page of fences onto your desktop.

FEATURES

Rope off Your Desktop

Create shaded areas call fences on your desktop in which you can place and organize icons.

Keep Your Desktop Clean

Double-click blank space on your desktop and all of your icons will fade out. Double-click again and they will return.

Automatically Arrange Your Desktop

Define rules for where your icons are placed and how they are arranged. When a new icon gets added, from an installer for instance, it will be automatically added to your preferred fence.

HOW TO GET IT

Visit: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/download.asp

Note: If you have purchased Fences Pro in the last 90 days, Fences 2.0 has already been added to your product registrations. Visit https://store.stardock.com/myaccount to access it.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

-Windows 7/Vista/XP (XP 32-bit only)

-Windows 8

15 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 9, 2012 1:13:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the notification of this update.

October 9, 2012 1:34:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks. Two threads...wow...this IS news!  

October 9, 2012 2:43:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just noticed that Fences 2.00.1 is available.

Let's start with this. I uninstalled Fences Pro and did a registry clean with CCleaner and Regedit.exe.

Removed all traces of the program and rebooted after uninstall.

Computer restarted and I went into Stardock Central and it listed both programs, Fences Pro and Fences 2.

I chose Fences 2 for the install. All went according to plan and as soon as the reboot finished.

I went back into Stardock Central and low and behold it said that Fences Pro and Fences 2 were available for installation.

I reinstalled Fences 2 and rebooted again.

Went back into Stardock Central and both programs are listed for installation. Last month I had the same problem with the Beta version and I contacted Customer Support (Aaron) and he was not able to figure out how to resolve the problem. I suggested to him (Aaron) that the Fences Pro installs into the Program Files\Stardock\Fences Pro directory. The Fences 2 installs in Program Files (86) Stardock\Fences directory for 32 bit programs.

Aaron from Customer Service said that was something that the developers did in creating the programs.

Why would one version be 64 bit and the newer one is 32 bit? This needs a resolution. Why put out software that has not even worked in the Beta version?

I use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with 8 GB of ram and an AMD HD 5670 Video Card with 1 GB of DDR3 ram. The computer is an older Intel i5, 760 CPU. Issues like these should be resolved before the software is ready for public distribution.

Need a lot of work here fella's........ Just noticed that both programs are listed in Stardock Central as installed.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 9, 2012 2:54:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CyberChief,
Issues like these should be resolved before the software is ready for public distribution.

Absolutely agree with CyberChief on this one ...im pulling whats left of my hair out trying to figure why its this way...I realize stardock central is still in beta and it could be something with that but unlikely. this could be a never ending task of update than reboot and so on, i even just downloaded the update from sd central and did a clean install with the 8 + meg update file and still wants to update and fences still shows it at ver 2.00

October 9, 2012 5:36:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This should be sorted now. Stardock Central needed to know precedence for Fences 2 over Fences Pro. I've also updated the version in SDC to 2.00.2 so it shows as an update and fetches a new installer that sets that in the registry.

Kris

October 9, 2012 5:55:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nakor,
This should be sorted now. Stardock Central needed to know precedence for Fences 2 over Fences Pro. I've also updated the version in SDC to 2.00.2 so it shows as an update and fetches a new installer that sets that in the registry.

Kris

thank you very much Kris....

October 9, 2012 6:05:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Indeed.  Thanks!

October 9, 2012 8:36:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the fix.

October 9, 2012 11:35:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm confused by a few things: 

1) Is this a Fences Pro update or just Fences?

2) Stardock Central Beta doesn't show what Stardock I have, i.e., Fences Pro 1.x.  Isn't it supposed to?

3) The Fences 2 description includes a couple of things that I'm not clear about:

a. "Expose folders containing documents or pictures..desktop..."

I've been doing that with Win 7 by simply keeping the folder links on the desktop.  What's new?  What does "expose" mean?

b. "Double-click blank space on your desktop and all of your icons will fade out. Double-click again and they will return."

The fade aside (which I don't want), how is that different from Fences Pro 1.x?

October 10, 2012 6:13:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Fences  and Fences Pro are now just Fences 2. There is no free forever version.

If you.ve been upgraded to Fences 2, that's all SDC will show. I think you can get F1 on the web store in your products.

Fo;der portals look like regular Fences but point to the contents of a folder.

The double-click is the same functionality as F1

October 10, 2012 7:38:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Checking sdc this morning, I saw Fences 2.0.2 Update is available. 

October 10, 2012 5:32:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Daft question probably - but how do you create multiple pages of Fences ?

Is it only a Win 7 feature?

I can't find any help on it

Thanks

October 10, 2012 5:51:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting KenStarnes,
Daft question probably - but how do you create multiple pages of Fences ?

http://www.wincustomize.com/article/431606/

October 11, 2012 4:39:25 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks - it's as I discovered late last night - Pages and Folder Fences are for Win7 Users only. I run XP so have wasted $9.99 on the upgrade. [e digicons]:'([/e]

October 11, 2012 6:26:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting KenStarnes,
Thanks - it's as I discovered late last night - Pages and Folder Fences are for Win7 Users only. I run XP so have wasted $9.99 on the upgrade. [e digicons]:'([/e]
contact sales@stardock.com and we will get you sorted.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001750   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.