I need some advice regarding a problem with my computer

By on October 7, 2012 12:11:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gaunathor

Join Date 04/2006
+146

I was playing the new E:FE-beta yesterday and suddenly my computer was shutting itself off. This kept happening no matter what I was doing. Reading the forum, playing the game, once even during booting. This morning, the computer even refused to start. I tried it again a few hours later and it worked. However, I'm using my old (5+ years) PC until this problem is solved.

My main guess is, that there is something wrong with the PSU, but I'm not entirely sure. It's a Enermax Modu87+ 700W. I have it since a little under two years.

So, what do you guys think? Is it the PSU and, if yes, what would be a good replacement?

Not sure, if you need those, but my system-specs are:

CPU: Phenom II X6 1055T

Mainboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula

RAM: 16 GB (2x G-Skill Sniper)

Graphics: Sapphire HD Radeon 4350

Sound: Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 7, 2012 12:31:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My main guess is, that there is something wrong with the PSU

Very well might be the problem. Could also be excessive dust/dirt causing graphic card or cpu overheating.

Open it up (unplugged and w/o battery) and take a look...

If you know someone with an electronics/pc store... swap out a PSU and test it. If not, and if it's under warranty... send it to the OEM or the OEM's designated repair facility after checking out what's covered and what isn't.

October 7, 2012 1:41:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Could also be excessive dust/dirt causing graphic card or cpu overheating.

The last time I cleaned the PC was just four months ago, but dust is collecting quite rapidly in my apartment (despite my efforts), so it is a good possibility.

Quoting DrJBHL,
If you know someone with an electronics/pc store... swap out a PSU and test it. If not, and if it's under warranty... send it to the OEM or the OEM's designated repair facility after checking out what's covered and what isn't.

I'm not a people-person (to put it mildly), so this is out of the question. However, I could use the PSU of my old PC to test it. It's a 500W-model, so it should be strong enough. If this fails, too, the warranty for the PSU is still good for another two months.

Thanks! Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I let you know how it goes.

October 7, 2012 1:47:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

One other thing to check is to make sure any heat sinks/fans are firmly engaged with what they are cooling. I had an issue similar to this years ago, that turned out to be a heat sink that had just barely come loose from a chip (wasn't the CPU) on the motherboard.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
October 7, 2012 2:10:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
One other thing to check is to make sure any heat sinks/fans are firmly engaged with what they are cooling. I had an issue similar to this years ago, that turned out to be a heat sink that had just barely come loose from a chip (wasn't the CPU) on the motherboard.

Thanks, I'm going to check this, too! 

October 7, 2012 2:11:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The first and easiest thing to do would be to unplug the PC, remove the side and unplug every PSU connection one-at-a-time and reconnect them. Do both ends if the PSU is modular. Could just be a loose/dirty connection.

Next, download some temp monitoring apps and see what the temps are. Compare the readings to your specs.  Also, make sure all fans are running.

Are you using a surge protector/power strip? Check AC line-in connections as well.

I have an Enermax 600Watt that is at least 4 years old and still running strong. A failure in only 2 years would be uncommon.

October 7, 2012 11:24:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Enermax's Warranty is 5 years and while it's 'failure' is unlikely, it's certainly not impossible. 

What your describing is a CPU overheat. (not sure what you mean by "...failed to start"). Boot into bios and see what the temp/fan reads after 5 minutes. If it shuts down, raises beyond 50c or your fan rate is erratic, put in a new fan and/or re-paste the processor.

October 8, 2012 12:46:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hey Yrag, good to see you. Will Duck tape work, if he has no paste?

October 8, 2012 3:43:14 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

RND, no, duck tape will NOT work for fan/heatsinks, it is only good for motor vechiles and holding ducks onto motor vechiles.

and the correct type of paste is heatsink paste NOT food paste or any other type of paste.

harpo

October 8, 2012 3:59:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I had similar problem. It kept shutting down and restarting until finally it didn't start at all.

Me too I thought it was PSU. I send it to repair shop and they said one of the rails in PSU had a fault. They fixed it only for problem to opear all over again 2 days after repair was done. It turned out that "real" fault was on MOBO. Once I replaced it problem went away. I'm not sure If PSU problem damaged the MOBO or if there indeed was a problem with PSU at all.

MOBO was ASUS P6T deluxe (because of problems it had it is not in prioduction anymore)  and after sending it back I got word back with replacement that there was fault on hibernation feature of the MOBO.... They send me upgraded replacement for free but not a

So you might want to check MOBO as well.

October 8, 2012 6:08:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gaunathor...listen to the Yrag guy up there...but whatever you do don't ask him anything personal...unless of course you actually like having guys in black suits showing up at your door in the middle of the night wanting to do strange things to you.

October 8, 2012 8:00:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Greg30007,
MOBO was ASUS P6T deluxe (because of problems it had it is not in prioduction anymore)

Problems it had?....like the fact it has been running on my machine non-stop for the past 4 years or so.  On average it is shutdown for about 7 days per year.

....never missed a beat.

October 8, 2012 8:18:26 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Problems it had?

Well then you were the lucky one. 

According to them they had quite a few cases.... They send me P6X58D-E as a replacement which is upgrade to P6T and when I asked for same model that I had before they said it is discontinued.... I asked for same one because of where PCI-E slots on the board are and my case setup. 

October 8, 2012 8:18:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Will Duck tape

Quoting harpo99999,
duck tape

Duct tape....

October 8, 2012 8:43:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Duct tape....

No, Snow....it's duck tape....

You should know by now these Americans are just plain kinky.

They bind up their ducks before doing unspeakable things to them....with duck tape.

Then there's gaffer tape...... but that's only for when they run out of ducks.....

October 8, 2012 8:46:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Then there's gaffer tape...... but that's only for when they run out of ducks.....

Wonder what one would use if one made a gaff with a duck? 

October 8, 2012 8:50:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Wonder what one would use if one made a gaff with a duck?

100 MPH tape.....

October 8, 2012 10:06:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Quoting RedneckDude, reply 7Will Duck tape

Quoting harpo99999, reply 8duck tape

Duct tape....

If you're Yrag, it's Duck Tape. (See the avatar? He wrapped in the stuff!!) 

October 8, 2012 10:13:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting yrag,
Enermax's Warranty is 5 years and while it's 'failure' is unlikely, it's certainly not impossible.

I totally forgot about Enermax's 5 years and was just going by the legal minimum of two year warranty. Thanks for reminding me. The PSU is currently in my old PC and seems to be working fine. We will see for how long. I'm starting to have my doubts, that it is truly the culprit.

Quoting yrag,
What your describing is a CPU overheat. (not sure what you mean by "...failed to start"). Boot into bios and see what the temp/fan reads after 5 minutes. If it shuts down, raises beyond 50c or your fan rate is erratic, put in a new fan and/or re-paste the processor.

That is what I'm afraid of. I already lost a MoBo due to overheating a couple years back. What I meant with "failed to start" was, that the computer did not start when I pushed the power-button. The computer did start, when I tried it again a couple hours later.

I already removed the CPU-cooler this morning and noticed, that the paste was unequally distributed on the die. Also, the fans were dustier than I expected after this time. It really looks like overheating was the problem. Well, I already wanted to replace the CPU-cooler, so this is as good a time as any to do it. Maybe I should upgrade some of the other parts as well, while I'm at it.

Thanks guys, for all the suggestions and advice! I'll let you know what happens after the cooler arrives.

October 8, 2012 11:03:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I spoke to soon. My old PC just shut down.  The PSU really is the source of the problem. Maybe not the only one, but definitely a contributing factor.

October 8, 2012 4:51:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, at least it's under warranty... good luck.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.