What is going on ??

Have you seen similar, please comment

By on September 29, 2012 3:57:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

neone6

Join Date 12/2010
+414

Another Site issue

I just saw this, the downloads for yesterday.

I have seen similar before on several occasions.

-No offence Tom, but I just can´t see this to be for real.

If you have seen similar please comment/give input.

137 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 29, 2012 4:21:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yep Pointz all time downloads should be 8074 he's been robbed 

September 29, 2012 4:28:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RickJP,
Yep Pointz all time downloads should be 8074 he's been robbed 

No it´s JUST for yesterday.

September 29, 2012 4:47:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You worry too much , chill out and relax works wonders ­čîŁ

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 29, 2012 5:05:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ok had to edit this post didn't take notice of word yesterday, so that changes everything since there's only 2 downloads for today being the 29'th,seems odd to have a total of 8thou yet 2thou is in one day,unless it's not downloads but views still that many views,that's like bot activity ain't it or pirates,which is even stranger coz it's free,que twilight zone music

September 29, 2012 5:05:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This site has all kinds of blips...get used to it and don't worry about download counts as much...it'll make your hair fall out. 

September 29, 2012 5:16:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

lol

September 29, 2012 5:26:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I´m just pointing out another bug with the site...

Blips or not, at least our downloads Should be correct.

September 29, 2012 5:33:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is that really all you care about? The top downloads??
And it has to be a site issue if you're not "the best"?

You, my friend, are skinning for the wrong reasons, imo.

Sorry, might sound harsh, but more or less all we hear from you is when "something is wrong" which doesn't reflect well on your upload stats.

September 29, 2012 5:46:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ok so it´s not a glitch then.

No worries.

September 29, 2012 6:11:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My download counts are so messed up it isn't funny   I should have at least a billion downloads by now!

September 29, 2012 8:23:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
I should have at least a billion downloads by now!

Yes...and I have the sore thumb that made them....

No, seriously, the way the database is updated and/or polled for stats such as daily downloads....most downloads, whatever has always been flawed due to timing issues.

When the database may be spread over more than one server there can be some fun anomalies until such time as everything is updated into synch.

Whether or not you are listed [or not] as the greatest skinner since sliced bread is NO INDICATOR of the TRUE 'quality' of the person [as a skinner or especially otherwise].

If the only stat that counts is 'look at me...I am on top' then you're in the wrong game.

Hint....

A better way to gauge just how 'good' you are is by having been noticed in a positive light by the community at large leading to promotion amongst the ranks.

September 29, 2012 8:33:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have seen similar. I was in the top ten skinners for weeks on end a few years ago (ok, about 8 years ago). My stuff is so ordinary it had to be a glitch Embarrassing or what

Skin for yourself first, everything else will come second (as it should).

September 29, 2012 8:40:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for pointing this out Andrew, but I have also done so in the past and find that no one cares about the accuracy of this site or its statistics and such, so I gave up.  There are many statistic areas on the site that experience the same type of problem, and it is not a "glitch" as it has been happening for years. Personally I would find those type of statistics to be beneficial to a lot of authors, like comparing the statistics to the skins color or content, etc. to give them ideas for future skins, especially if they are a Master skinner. But oh well.... as I said, no one cares. 

My philosophy on this is do it right, or don't bother doing it at all.  So don't offer statistics if they are not going to be 100% accurate, all the time. 

Doesn't matter what excuse is causing the issue, just fix it, permanently. Makes excellent business sense to me. 

September 29, 2012 8:43:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Pretty much what Jafo said.

I don't know how many times I have said don't worry about the download counts on the sidebar for precisely the reasons Jafo stated.

September 29, 2012 9:00:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Perhaps it is time to remove that section of the site

September 29, 2012 9:05:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess I could start off by saying, "fix the damn thing or scrap it all together", but I won't.

downloads are the only method to really evaluate how well a blind is being received by those we are sharing our work with. You can do away with the ratings because what one rates a skin is purely subjective. The initial rating for a skin can doom the skin from even being looked at depending on someone's filter setting. I will delete a skin if the download count is not up to my standards, Top Hat for instance is on the verge of being deleted and I've asked Spencer to remove this blind from the GIUC.

There are only a few skinners that post their WIPs in the forums, I've done it a few times but it feels kind of icky. I didn't feel that I was skinning for myself but asking others if my design was good enough for them rather than just for myself. If I had a tough call on two aspects I might post and ask which one is better and why but to say, "look at what I'm doing", I'll pass and let those that download be my gauge.

To sum it all up, yes, it is important that if WC is going to track the number of downloads that those download counts be accurate.

AND, a better way to gauge how we feel about hiccups here is to let us state our opinion without being lambasted over it.

September 29, 2012 10:13:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
100% accurate, all the time. 
Even my most precision gauges and meters have an error tolerance  What a perfect world you must live in.

Counts, stats, ratings, they are all just numbers. Somewhat useful for "keeping score" but not a foundation for life itself.

Watching the numbers grow, while ego gratifying, should not be the highest priority. 

Watching the person grow as a skinner and  community member is a far greater thing to see in my opinion. There is no number count or stat that covers that.

I think most of the Masters on this site for the most part gave up stressing about such things for various reasons. 

1: They know the count/numbers can't be counted on to be "100%" accurate. Never have been, never will be.

2:They have progressed beyond the need to judge themselves by mere numbers. They know they are good without the number count. 

3: Spending time skinning is more important to them than spending time on WC watching or worrying about the numbers, playing in game threads or participating in infighting. Sadly, some Masters rarely visit the forums, I think in part due to too much of those things.

As a non-skinner, I hope I haven't spoken out of place, but this is how I feel about it. 

There are critical and non-critical parts of WC that need work, sure, but as we have working download/uploads and Forums,  the heart and soul of the site, life will go on. There is a lot under the hood to keep running at SD, and it must be a ponderous, cantankerous beast to manage at times. Kudos to the web team for keeping things running at all. (Hey, at least WC hasn't gone all Metro on us. Now that is something to be happy about!)

I agree with that thread about making the skinners gallery more upfront and accessible. I have always used the recent skins list to browse for skins because it's never been easy for me to go to each skinners gallery to see their entire works.

I wish they would fix the broken emotes. The quoting can get a bit untidy. Lots of information throughout Stardockia is in need of updating. Will it ever get fixed? Who knows? If there is going to be a train wreck here someday, I'm still coming along for the ride just to enjoy the scenery.

/end rambling.

September 29, 2012 10:22:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
I will delete a skin if the download count is not up to my standards, Top Hat for instance is on the verge of being deleted and I've asked Spencer to remove this blind from the GIUC.

There are only a few skinners that post their WIPs in the forums, I've done it a few times but it feels kind of icky. I didn't feel that I was skinning for myself but asking others if my design was good enough for them rather than just for myself.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you skin for yourself and are happy with what you created, then why base it's existence on public opinion?

If you skin for yourself, download counts should not matter, comments good or bad shouldn't matter except to perhaps help you improve. Your art and how you feel about does matter. If others don't feel the same way, it is their opinion, but it is still your work. Don't be a number, be yourself.

September 29, 2012 10:30:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Thanks for pointing this out Andrew, but I have also done so in the past and find that no one cares about the accuracy of this site or its statistics and such, so I gave up.  There are many statistic areas on the site that experience the same type of problem, and it is not a "glitch" as it has been happening for years. Personally I would find those type of statistics to be beneficial to a lot of authors, like comparing the statistics to the skins color or content, etc. to give them ideas for future skins, especially if they are a Master skinner. But oh well.... as I said, no one cares. 

My philosophy on this is do it right, or don't bother doing it at all.  So don't offer statistics if they are not going to be 100% accurate, all the time. 

Doesn't matter what excuse is causing the issue, just fix it, permanently. Makes excellent business sense to me. 

exactly.

September 29, 2012 11:05:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Yeah...nothing will ever be 100% accurate all the time.  The skin download counts are pretty reliable, and again we are talking about a small sidebar info area for general information purposes, not designed for people to write down statistics every day and compare them.

Welcome to the internet.

September 29, 2012 11:22:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WC statement:

Note: WinCustomize works to ensure its download counts are accurate. Some download sites inflate their download counts either intentionally or unintentionally. On WinCustomize.com, we take measures to try to provide you with accurate download counts. These download counts can be assumed to be fairly close to the actual # of individuals who have downloaded this skin, theme, wallpaper, or icon package.

September 29, 2012 11:41:15 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frankief,
WC statement:

Note: WinCustomize works to ensure its download counts are accurate. Some download sites inflate their download counts either intentionally or unintentionally. On WinCustomize.com, we take measures to try to provide you with accurate download counts. These download counts can be assumed to be fairly close to the actual # of individuals who have downloaded this skin, theme, wallpaper, or icon package.

Yes....the download count will be accurate.

Not syncronized to the nanometer via atomic clock....but not INFLATED - [falsified] either.

In exactly the same way the last poster listed on a recent post listing doesn't show immediately in the actual thread....yet is in the list.

The point from where/when a statistic is 'read' from a DB is affected by cache refresh schedules.

Think of it all a little like a car engine's rated powere output....

Do you cheat.... like some countries do...and quote output from the flywheel....with all the engine peripherals powered externally....or do you chuck the whole car on rollers...fire it up and take the reading from the wheels?

Websites have been known to artificially inflate stats like unique page views...number of users online....download counts....to give a false impression of self-importance/success.  Wincustomize/Stardock doesn't do that....hence the quoted statement.

WHEN DL counts are synched...they will be exact, as long as you ignore those still currently in cache and not registered yet.

September 29, 2012 11:50:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wow: from Nov. 1 2011, Jafo's reply when Vampothika posted about the exact same thing;

"Last I recall it was an anomaly due to the complexity of the Stardock/Wincustomize site 'architecture' - multiple servers, etc. It takes time for the counts to synchronize and thus be accurate."

My response to that thread was that, the count for yesterday is more like the last 2-3 days. Jafo's explanation here and on that thread explains why it is more than just 1 days count.

I have have never seen any others more hung up on download stats than Neoene and Vampothika.

Quoting Frankief,
WC statement:

This refers to the total download count, the counts for yesterday and monthly have always been meant as just an extra, and not ever stated to be 100% exact as they do not update live as downloads for skins do.

September 29, 2012 12:01:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Even my most precision gauges and meters have an error tolerance

In this particular instance that error was probably over 100%, if your gages have that much of an out of tolerance allowance I'd suggest a review of your calibration procedures to make a better effort to become NIST compliant.

Quoting Wizard1956,
You seem to be contradicting yourself. If you skin for yourself and are happy with what you created, then why base it's existence on public opinion?

It's a personal choice I choose to make and doesn't really need to be explained but it's the difference between my private persona and my public one. The download count doesn't impact whether or not I continue to like the blind but it's a good barometer of how well it's received. And as such, I do expect that if a download count be provided, that it be accurate. (within +/- 2%)

September 29, 2012 12:01:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This may be kind of off topic, but not.

I have recently stressed for the last time over whether or not DX works for everyone. Like Stardock knows, all apps can't be expected to work for all setups.

So I truly do skin for me. I use the things I make. If they work on your system, awesome, if not, I'm sorry. I no longer support XP.

If it ain't fun, I ain't doing it.

I have one halfway decent WB under my belt, probably the only one. I don't enjoy skinning WB, so I ain'ta gonna do it...lol.

All that aside, Wizard1956 checks my stats more often than I do. I seldom do anymore. Just isn't that important. 

I dunno how I made master, but I don't sell skins. Too stressful. If I'm gonna sell them, I have to worry about whether or not it'll work for EVERYONE. Takes the fun right out of it.

I like to sit down, start a skin, and let it flow. If it doesn't try to keep me at the PC until it's finished, I'm not doing it right. If I'm not compelled to keep skinning it, something isn't right. This is why I don't skin for every blind that comes along, unless it's requested. A skin has to compel me, if it don't, I won't be skinning for it unless the author asks me to.

To me, this is the essence of "skin for yourself".  I hope the above paragraph should clear up some things for some of my friends here that may ask themselves why I don't do peripheral skins for their works. If it don't turn me on, I don't make skins for it. But that may just be my taste, not to say that you made a bad skin.

You all know that I can do original work, I have several in my gallery. But I love making matching skins for WBs that really rock. It's just what I enjoy doing. I don't take/want credit for the graphics, 90% of them are just my manipulation of someone else's work. A port, if you will.

I don't worry anymore about those who say that all my stuff is the same designs used over and over. Isn't the same true for a WB skin? A rainy? Docks?  Same basic stuff just different graphics.

All that said...If I was worried about download counts, I'd have left WC a while back. When I became RND, I lost 84,483 total downloads. I would be well over a million right now if not for that.

Do I care? No. It isn't why I skin.

Ratings? Too open to personal likes and dislikes, grudges, etc. Download bots and such could possibly influence that. Not reliable. I like my stuff, that is what counts.

You should like your stuff. And that should be THE single most important reason you do it. Unless you make things to sell, then you have to think more of what the public wants.

I'll shut up now.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.