Are SSD’s worth it? Answer: YES

By on September 17, 2012 9:48:53 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

Anyone who has an SSD already know this. But there are still people out there who aren’t sure on this.  The performance difference of putting in an SSD is greater than any single upgrade I’ve ever seen since the days back in the early 90s of going from 4M to 8M in memory on Windows NT or OS/2.

76 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 17, 2012 9:59:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My WEI went from 5.9 to 7.4 .....

....and that was just going from an old small SSD to a newer and bigger one.

The small old one is now in my laptop....the overall WEI didn't change...as the onboard graphics is the limiter...but the HD score went from 5-something to 6.8.

Quaint that the old one scores better in the laptop...but much of that is likely how 'full' it was and how full it is now...

September 17, 2012 10:53:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or not.  Know anyone that's recovered a crashed/dead ssd? Me either.

September 17, 2012 11:45:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nasarog,
Or not. Know anyone that's recovered a crashed/dead ssd? Me either.

Last 'dead' drive I tried to revive stayed dead.

It wasn't a SSD.

Dead is dead, no matter what it is....

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 17, 2012 11:46:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It's called backup.

September 17, 2012 11:57:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting Nasarog, reply 2Or not. Know anyone that's recovered a crashed/dead ssd? Me either.

Last 'dead' drive I tried to revive stayed dead.

It wasn't a SSD.

Dead is dead, no matter what it is....

There's dead and there's dead. Ssd is the first type.

September 18, 2012 12:29:42 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Don't forget 'mostly dead'.

September 18, 2012 12:30:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

At work we had a dead HD brought back last year.  We have nightly full backups, but rescuing the few hours of daytime work before it died was nice.

It's on maintenance contract -- the techie had an idea -- took it back to his office, swapped the electronics with another drive of the same model, stored the data to another device and brought it back, saying that our old drive had good platters but bad electronics, and that his jerry-rigged improvisation died again soon after his backup.

Let's just say I'm satisfied with their service.  And dead isn't always dead.

September 18, 2012 12:34:06 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Which are the best ones? I've been thinking from the reviews its either Crucial, Intel or both.

September 18, 2012 12:49:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
Which are the best ones? I've been thinking from the reviews its either Crucial, Intel or both.

My first was an OCZ Summit 60G.  Its replacement/update is a SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25 240G.

The latter wasn't expensive...and in the time it's about 3 times faster, 4 times as big....and about half the price.

I don't think I'd go for something too expensive in the range of quality...simply because the pricing keeps falling.  It'll be cheaper to update than to worry about 'lasting'....

September 18, 2012 1:16:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Loving mine!!!

September 18, 2012 1:37:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I loathe that tiny little delay that occurs when I click on menus and whatnot. My SSD removed that time. I couldn't go back unless I wanted to suffer.

September 18, 2012 2:06:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For a split second I thought SSD was referring to Super Star Destroyers and I was like, Yes! Of course they're worth it! I do agree that SSDs are worthwhile, but I will hold off on getting one until I'm ready to do a complete system overhaul.

September 18, 2012 2:08:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Jafo:  Have the same SanDisk installed in my HP dv7 laptop. . .sweet.  Also in my main computer is a three year old Intel M 25 80 gig SSD, and SSDLife is still showing at least another nine years of use.  SSDLife indicates that in the last three years it has only lost about four percent of it effectives.

If you been thinking of buying one then know is not a bad time; they are dropping in price quite rapidly.

September 18, 2012 2:39:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I won't run without one anymore.  I have three SSDs and one HD in this system.  Was tempted to ditch the HD when I got the third just now, but it has its purposes...now I don't mind backing up locally anymore since I have a drive I don't even care about.

And I never have to defrag since I don't use that drive for anything important.

Onward to ReRAM and related tech!

September 18, 2012 3:31:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I don't think they're worth it in terms of cost per gigabyte.  I can stand performance delays if it means I can store a crapload more data for the same or similar price.

September 18, 2012 3:36:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What is SSD?

September 18, 2012 3:43:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting onomastikon,
What is SSD?

Solid State Drive

September 18, 2012 4:19:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I definitely believe the benefits, and my next PC will be getting (at least) one. What do you guys normally do as far as drive configs with SSDs? SSD all as one partition, or broken down, how many regular drives and what config? Thanks for any replies!

September 18, 2012 4:20:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Anthony R,
currently the ADATA Premier Pro series...  read write 555/530 in the test they run 505/510 and thats close to whats promised... i would recommend them currently the price is also ok + they have a 3 year guarantee. IF you want to go faster you need a PCIe SSD those offer write and read speeds close to 1GB ... OCZ has a cheap one currently under 200 USD OCZ RevoDrive 3PCI Express ( Not saying its the best PCIe SSD just saying its cheap compared to the others on the market )

September 18, 2012 5:25:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
I definitely believe the benefits, and my next PC will be getting (at least) one. What do you guys normally do as far as drive configs with SSDs? SSD all as one partition, or broken down, how many regular drives and what config? Thanks for any replies!

One partition.  They're not big enough to do multiple, and the speeds don't change from beginning to end like with HDs.

Files do still fragment though, so some might do some micromanagement if they choose to.

September 18, 2012 5:39:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Savyg,
Files do still fragment though, so some might do some micromanagement if they choose to.

There is no need to defragment an SSD. Read access is not linear so there is no benefit at all....

September 19, 2012 12:32:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Jafo,
There is no need to defragment an SSD. Read access is not linear so there is no benefit at all....

Have you looked at the benchmarks?

60 megs random vs 380 sequential (on the new drives) is a considerable difference.

Lots of people say that but they have yet to prove their point from where I'm standing.

Also I said nothing about defragging.

September 19, 2012 12:40:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I skipped that upgrade on my 2nd custom, but on the 3rd custom in 7-8 years oh I will enjoy SSD or what ever new and amazing thing thats out. (I want a cheap 1-2tb ssd but until that day no)

September 19, 2012 7:40:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not sold....my OCZ OCtane S2 128 GB has been nothing but a pain in the butt. It's probably just that particular brand but it's been disappointing enough that I'll stick with my platters for my OS. To be honest, I didn't notice much of a performance impact anyway.

Install's windows fine, runs good for about 2 weeks to a month and then I start find occasional controller errors in the log and then one day it can't find the boot sector......start over, reinstall OS etc......repeat 3 times then go back to my WD Black 640s. Now I use it to hold my music and I still see random controller errors.

I might try one again, but it won't be an OCZ.

September 20, 2012 6:18:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been using a Samsung 128Gb SSD for three years. It's fast and reliable. There are faster drives now, but I don't feel the need to change.

At work I get frustrated at how long it takes to open Office programs compared to my pc

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001266   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.