OD and Windows 8

Concerns for the future

By on August 25, 2012 4:21:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

CRF

Join Date 04/2009

At this point in the game, I imagine that You at stardock must be finding our concerns tedious, as your position and policy of "wait and see" is fully stated regarding Windows 8. It is backed by sound reasoning and I concur.

If you can not commit on your plans for the new OS, please let me state my concerns and fears for your development and licensing considerations. I am aware that I am a unique individual and by no means represent your customer base.

I renewed my subscription to Object Desktop less than a week ago. I also have licenses for CursersFX and ObjectDock. I understand that these purchases were made for products developed for OSes preceding Win8.

Object desktop is a rather big suite. I'm worried that it will for the most part be rendered useless in Windows 8. Whether support problems are a result of Stardock or Microsoft will matter little, the result will be the same for myself as an end user. As a new purchase, this point is of major importance to me.

I'm already behind the times as I currently run Vista Home Premium x64. I have started to experience limitations in what can be expected to run with other software companies, and I expect that this will only increase as Windows 8 launches.

Microsoft's upgrade package is so appealing that it's hard to imagine it not becoming the most commonly used windows variant very quickly ($40 upgrade to PRO from any previous version of Windows - XP to current)

Am I going to find myself in a position of needing to make a choice between using an antiquated OS and currently licensed Object Desktop products?

Further, Although OD is a subscription, it is based in the current OSes. I worry about this. It would not be unlikely in my viewpoint to see Stardock abandon software development for current applications within Win8, in response to the different needs within the new OS. It would make better sense to develop a completely new suite of software to better address the radically new environment.

This would mean a new License.

This direction would be a fair decision on your part.

Now let me tell you how individual I am...

I am inflicted with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The World Health Association lists it as one of the top ten most debilitating diseases. One who has it must expect to spend the majority of life unemployed, save in rare cases.

One of the main features of the disease is a driving need to control environment. This is what has made Stardock such an important part of my life. You have done much to help me cope with the day-to-day stress of my condition. Manufacturing controlled environments within my OS makes it possible for me to sit at at my computer and do constructive work under conditions which are stress free. This is a rare boon for me.

My budget is so close however, that even $10-$15 upgrades will often force me to choose between addressing these needs and having to down-grade my diet. There really is no additional room for what the majority of the world would consider as the purchasing of luxuries.

These are my concerns and fears: That I will not be able to keep up with the trends and technology of all software developers and the public in general, further isolating me from general population. That Win 8 will not be customizable in appearance and use to an extent that would satisfy the conditions of my disease. That I will not be able to afford any solutions that are presented.

Again, I understand that my concerns and needs are unique in their nature - That it is not Stardock's problem to "fix" my problems for me.

I simply ask that you consider these points, even briefly, when deciding on the direction you will take your software and the licensing practices you will employ.

And although it was likely unintentional on your part, I'd like to thank you on behalf of everyone with OCD for providing the perfect tools for addressing a disease at it's most needful level.

55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 27, 2012 12:48:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Once you have a subscription to Object Desktop, and you stay current, there will not be an upgrade cost.

We are not able to say exactly what we will have for Win8 until we are able to test fully under the release version and see what we need to change or add to the programs.  Some programs may simply not work under Win8, and that has happened in the past with new OSes, so we can not guarantee that all the programs will be upgraded to Win8.

Win8 is much, much different than 7.  We are trying to make as much as our software compatible with Win8 as possible since we sense that there will be a lot of people who will want to change the way Win8 looks and behaves.

August 27, 2012 1:01:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Were there any Object Desktop programs you were specifically worried about, or rather more so than any others?  I'm curious which customizations and features you find most useful.

August 27, 2012 2:03:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Likely the ones most difficult to impliment.

Specifically I'm concerned about WindowBlinds, DesktopX, and if applicable, IconDesigner.

From the various screen shots I have seen of Win8, It's essentially big ugly tiles, and solid colours. The solids worry me in particular. One of my OCD traits is a need for a tactile appearance. The ability to apply textures in some manner. I also require a limited coulor range. I most often set up monochrome ranges that utilize the full possiblities 24 bit colour provides.

Multiple distracting colour themes and lack of texture raise my anxiety levels beyond my ability to sit at a computer for more than a few minutes at a time.

So any programs that directly affect the static appearance of Windows are my main concerns.

BTW, thanks for the interest.

EDIT:

The current version of Win8 is pretty much the final and free to download (Windows 8 Release Previewhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download), as are the SDK. It appears that the modular approach provided to developers will circumvent user controls when applying system-wide blanket changes (reference SDK introduction videos).

I haven't really pulled apart the SDK yet, as I'm setting up my OS to image before delving into what can and can't be accomplished within the new OS. I of course bow to your extended expertise.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 27, 2012 3:19:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WindowBlinds8 is already in development.  IconPackager is being tested on Win8.  It is yet to be seen what challenges we have with DesktopX.  We are also looking into ways of changing other things on Win8, so you may see new programs pop up.  The first new program that is out there is Start8, which will have updates soon.

August 27, 2012 5:18:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey that's great news!

I've already downloaded Start8 in preporation of testing the new OS.

It was IconDeveloper I was curious about - not Packager.

Do you anticipate being able to apply textures and images/icons to the tiles on the horrifically ugly startup/home screen?

September 21, 2012 3:57:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It makes very little sense that Stardock wouldn't have known where it stood on this 6 months ago, latest.

Windows 8 has been available to the developer community for over a year now.

It would not have been a problem to test and get on top of the compatibility and get something ready in time for the Win8 official launch in October.

As for the license issue, Stardock has one of the most restrictive license schemes I've ever seen. The products are worth it, provided there is good support, timely releases and fast response to changes such as a new OS. I agree that it does not make sense to shell out for a subscription unless you are certain you are going to get what you want out of it, for the latest OS, Windows 8 in this case.

Some statement is definitely called for.

I am certain that there are development managers and others at Stardock who know exactly where you stand and what is in the pipeline. If there weren't, it would be a poorly run company indeed - of course they are responding to market changes like this. It's interesting to speculate of the reasons for why not to be open about what's on the horizon.

September 21, 2012 4:02:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In what way is the Stardock license one of the most restrictive schemes you have ever seen?

September 21, 2012 10:45:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Is it possible to give negative Karma?  Just askin'.

October 4, 2012 7:51:52 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I can't exactly say. I am right but OD is best for gaming.

November 4, 2012 3:49:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I received my copy of Windows 8 this past Tuesday. I'm not sure why, but I assumed, for some reason, that Windows 8 would work with the newest Object Desktop...Well, I was wrong. It doesn't seem that ANY of OD works with Windows 8. I should have done a better job investigating, I suppose, but I downloaded the free version of Start8 from Download.com and it worked. Now, after I but OD, the paid version DOES NOT work.  don't know what to do. Or if there is anything I can do. I'm just majorly disappointed, I guess.

Anyone else have any luck getting OD to work with Windows 8? Please let me know. Like the lady above stated, Windows 8 has been available to the developer community for over a year now. Now you would think that everything would be fine and dandy, but NO, it is not. I just don't know what to do about it. It seems as if NONE of the package works with Windows 8...I'm just disappointed...I'll get over it.

Thanks...

Joey

November 4, 2012 4:04:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting joehandy2,
I received my copy of Windows 8 this past Tuesday. I'm not sure why, but I assumed, for some reason, that Windows 8 would work with the newest Object Desktop...Well, I was wrong. It doesn't seem that ANY of OD works with Windows 8. I should have done a better job investigating, I suppose, but I downloaded the free version of Start8 from Download.com and it worked. Now, after I but OD, the paid version DOES NOT work.  don't know what to do. Or if there is anything I can do. I'm just majorly disappointed, I guess.

Beyond Start8, Fences 2, Multiplicity 2, Tiles (beta), and WindowFX 5 (beta) Stardock applications are not certified to work with Windows 8 and running current version may or may not work. At this time though, they are not supported.  Please note that on the product page of each app the system requirements and supported systems are listed.

We plan on updating more of our software as time goes on along with new software for Windows 8.

November 13, 2012 11:18:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We plan on updating more of our software as time goes on along with new software for Windows 8.

Well I certainly hope so since OD is the only piece of software that I own that is not compatible...And that is the truth.

November 15, 2012 2:18:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting KarmaGirl,
WindowBlinds8 is already in development.  IconPackager is being tested on Win8.  It is yet to be seen what challenges we have with DesktopX.  We are also looking into ways of changing other things on Win8, so you may see new programs pop up.  The first new program that is out there is Start8, which will have updates soon.

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting joehandy2, reply 10I received my copy of Windows 8 this past Tuesday. I'm not sure why, but I assumed, for some reason, that Windows 8 would work with the newest Object Desktop...Well, I was wrong. It doesn't seem that ANY of OD works with Windows 8. I should have done a better job investigating, I suppose, but I downloaded the free version of Start8 from Download.com and it worked. Now, after I but OD, the paid version DOES NOT work.  don't know what to do. Or if there is anything I can do. I'm just majorly disappointed, I guess.

Beyond Start8, Fences 2, Multiplicity 2, Tiles (beta), and WindowFX 5 (beta) Stardock applications are not certified to work with Windows 8 and running current version may or may not work. At this time though, they are not supported.  Please note that on the product page of each app the system requirements and supported systems are listed.

I just bought an Object Desktop subscription in order to use Windowblinds on Windows 8.

Got some promotional email from Stardock, talking about Windows 8 so I took it to mean that the keyofferings, like WindowBlinds were working on 8. Wouldn't have been unfeasible since various releases of Windows 8 have been available to vendors for close to a year.  Clearly I should have read the fine print!

Discovering now, that pretty much nothing in the OD suite works apart from "Start 8" works in 8!!!!

Since this software works on a yearly subscription basis, this is rubbish economy, since I won't be able to use the suite until whenever Stardock catches up. If it takes another 6 months for this to be finished, I lost six months off the subscription.

Gosh what's going on?!

If I don't remember wrong, there was a similar long wait for Windowblinds to be compatible with Windows 7.

Stardock needs some competition in this niche market, that's all I am saying. It's not good when one company totally dominates a particular niche, they have no serious reason to keep sharp and stay ahead of the competition.

Quoting Neil Banfield,
In what way is the Stardock license one of the most restrictive schemes you have ever seen?

You are joking, right? In order to get software "A" I have to first download software "B" , set up an account, log in then run software "A", through software "B", subscribe, remember licenses, authorised email addresses and passwords. And every time I need to move the software or re-install the OS, the whole fascinating experience has to be repeated. In addition to all this, the whole process is very error prone. It's significantly less hassle free to license the entire b--y OS, for goodness sake.

Now can you name ONE piece of software that beats the above?

Apologies if you are an evangeliser, if so I realise you were only doing your job in making that comment.

November 15, 2012 2:22:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

November 15, 2012 2:23:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

November 15, 2012 2:28:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd like to see where Stardock claims Windowblinds works on Windows 8. YOU made the choice to upgrade to Windows 8 no one else. Own up to YOUR choices and decisions YOU make. If a claim by Stardock has been made that product X works on Windows 8 and it does not work for YOU. Contact support, I'm sure they appreciate positive/negative feedback...

November 15, 2012 2:41:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You on the payroll or just a really dyed in the wool fan? It is possible to like a software but be unhappy with certain practices of the company that produces it.

In this case, odds are the development is running late - it was well known when MS were going to release Windows 8 and no doubt Stardock would have preferred to be ready with compatible products for then, since most users would be as unhappy as I am, when discovering that the product they just bought is incompatible. Alternatively, they just won't buy, and there'll be a lost sale instead.

And in case you did not notice, I AM telling this to Stardock --- they are running this forum and are reading the posts here.But if they are not finished with development it really doesn't matter what I have to say about it now, does it? 

And as you can tell from the thread above, I am not the only user who misunderstood the communications.  I am getting a couple or so emails from Stardock on a weekly basis and obviously I don't read each of them end-to-end, as you seem to think I ought to.  I usually delete them straight away, or after skimming the first line or two.

Of the ones I still have, I got one which obviously talks about Windows 8 (start button software) and another offering a promo on Object Dock.

With all other hoops that the user has to go through when installing Stardock products it would be very helpful be clearly warned when purchasing OD, that it is not compatible with the latest OS from Microsoft.

November 15, 2012 2:48:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cordelia0507 

Stardock is working hard to get as much software as possible compatible with Windows 8. Some things will take longer than others, and I am sure they have priorities.

Keep an eye on the forums for announcements about updates. I trust Stardock to "get it right" and rushing things is not the way to accomplish this. Nowhere did SD say all products would always work on all upcoming operating systems but I have confidence that they will do their best to make it happen.

For those of us that use said software and wish to continue using it, the prudent thing to do would be to wait to change to a new OS. Apparently, I am one of very few who think this.

As for A and B, etc, all you need to do is log on to the store to access your account and download your software. Software B, if you are referring to SDC is not required. It is there as a convenient way to keep your software up to date but it is not required.

Most all purchased software/games require you to keep track of log-on info, passwords and serial numbers. SD is no different. It can be cumbersome to keep track of all of them, I agree, but that is business as usual.

November 15, 2012 2:54:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh, that's right YOU and One other person = YOU are not the only person. Hmm, I don't see any further questions from the OP creator as the OP was addressed and I'll make an ass out of myself and believe their inquiry was addressed and then some. Reply #4 says it all. Now, when it comes to a company's business etiquette, Who am I to dictate their business practices? Oh right! I'm a paying customer. Well, I'll just sit here and angrily complaint about every little thing I can. 'IF' I was the company owner? YOU call out my employee the way you did with Neil? I'd immediately issue you a refund for your recent purchase and ban your IP from communicating with MY servers. Good thing I'm not the business owner. I can go on and highlight, quote or Bold certain comments but, I won't. I wish you peace and happiness and NO, I'm not on Stardock's payroll...Unfortunately...

November 15, 2012 2:58:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cordelia0507,
You are joking, right? In order to get software "A" I have to first download software "B" , set up an account, log in then run software "A", through software "B",

If you prefer, you can log in here and download good-old-fashioned installation exe's:

https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products

The advantage to Stardock Central is that it can notify you of updates and will tell you if your installed versions are current or not.  Personally I prefer the exe's.

Just trying to help you out.

edit- argh, once again Wizard is light-years ahead of me

November 15, 2012 3:04:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting cordelia0507,
every time I need to move the software or re-install the OS, the whole fascinating experience has to be repeated.
Another incorrect statement. If you download and keep the installers archived somewhere, which is highly recommended, you are free to reinstall them at any point without any further downloading required.

You seem to be making the whole process far more difficult than it actually is.

November 15, 2012 3:19:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Stardock is right on our schedule.

Currently Start8, Decor8, Fences 2, Multiplicity 2, Tiles (beta), IconPackager, IconDeveloper ,and WindowFX 5 are designed to work with Windows 8.

We are updating more of our software as time goes on so keep an eye on our forums for more details.

Please not also that each product in the suite has it' sown product page and there are link to them from the Object Desktop site the do show what systems are supported.

November 15, 2012 3:28:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just downloaded an .exe file outside of Stardock Central and it was unable to register, despite me using the exact same credentials as in Stardock Central.

So, fail.

AND I got an absolutely idiotic message from a piece of software I tried to install.  A simple OS check and a reasonable error message is bread and butter programming.....   Try installing CursorFX on Windows 8.

Yes, Windowblinds is a nice piece of software and Stardock makes inmovative products. But they are by no means perfect and if there was any competition in this area I'd give them a try after having issues every time I touch my Stardock installation, or have to re-install. Where all the starry-eyed fans come from, or what motivates them to stand up for a commercial organisation that doesn 't even pay them, I struggle to understand.

If I ranted against some open source software or freeware your loyalty would be completely understandable but that's not what we are talking about here. Stardock is charging USD 50 for the Object Dock software. That's more than a student would pay for Windows 8. I don't have these types of issues with any other software and I am a very heavy user who worked in IT for a long time.

This is constructive feedback from a long-standing customer who is not entirely happy at the moment. Most organisations would welcome it and most fellow customers would not mind it. What kind of a parallel universe is this?

November 15, 2012 3:49:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm not in the IT field and don't claim to be but, if I was I'd be damn sure to use correct spelling [hint to self, that may be the cause of error messages]. Now, you failed to say what .exe file you tried to run and where you went to obtain said .exe file. If you don't provide details, support won't be able to provide assistance. I forked over what ever amount Stardock charged me and I'm not bitter about it. You know what cordelia0507, I'm no longer going to reply or post on this issue. I may start to come across as a personal attack when in reality it's not. It's just one person on the outside looking in...Hope your issues get resolved.

November 15, 2012 6:52:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well...A step in the right direction would be for Stardock to mention on it's website that OD is not compatible with Windows 8. I would have liked to have known that before paying $50+ $$ for software that doesn't work with the latest version a major Operating Systems software. Now, I'm beginning to feel as though I've been screwed. But Stardock will probably blame Microsoft. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000812   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.