How to edit and make ObjectDock skins

By on August 18, 2012 5:31:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

nemanja1234

Join Date 08/2012

As the title says, I have two similar questions:

1. How to edit skins in ObjectDock? As I can see all informations are in Configuration settings (.ini) file. What programming language should I lear so that i know exactly "what am I doing"?

-For example I want to make my Dock on the Top look exactly like on the Bottom (position of the icons relative to the background, background shape...). Or I want to add reflection to some skins and adjust there properities.

2. What should I know and what software should I use to make brand new skins/themes for Object Dock?

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 18, 2012 5:45:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

1) You need to learn English.

2) The software is notepad and a keyboard.

3) Find a skin in my gallery http://webgizmos.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=83 that looks close to what you want yours to look like...then replace the graphics with your own...edit the names in the .ini file...and tweak to taste and your just about done.

I say "just about" because once you've done the above you can continue to play with the amounts to see what they actually do to change to dock itself. Don't be afraid to make big changes to the amounts so you see what they do. This is how I learned to make docks and it's real easy to do.

Example: ( I made all the amounts 50 but they vary depending on the graphics used)

[Background]
Image = GraphicName.png
TopHeight = 50 (these first 4 settings lock in your graphics so they don't stretch during use and are determined by the graphics in your dock image)
BottomHeight = 50
LeftWidth = 50
RightWidth = 50
OutsideBorderLeft = 50 (These next 4 settings determine how far or close your icons will be to the sides of your dock)
OutsideBorderRight = 50
ContentBufferTop = 50
ContentBufferBottom = 50

(These settings are used if your using background shadows on your dock tabs and want to center your text and these must be placed below each background)

TabOverlapLeft = 0
TabOverlapRight = 0
TabContentBufferLeft = 10
TabContentBufferRight = 10

Extra Settings:

(These can be used if you have graphics in the sides of your graphics that need tiling...they may or may not work)

TileCenter = 1
TileVCenter = 1

(These are used if you have Plus/Minus images to be used with your docks and are placed at the very bottom of your .ini file.)

PlusImage = Backgrounds\DockTab1\Plus.png
MinusImage = Backgrounds\DockTab1\Minus.png

August 18, 2012 6:46:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

what WG very well said and also check this previous post

August 20, 2012 2:27:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you very much!!!

I manage to do what i want.

I just cant figure out where are separator located. And how can i cange them?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 20, 2012 2:46:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And is there any way that i can make reflection ON TOP of the icons instead of the bottom?

P.S. I am trying to make dock on the TOP of the screen look EXACTLY like the MIRROR image of the BOTTOM dock. Except for the icons.

And for that I need reflection on the upper side of the icons. Actually i need inverted dock background and separator, but that was easy.

August 20, 2012 4:00:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

if I well understand the dock at bottom is what you want : the reflections on top of the icons !

wel you have to play with the .ini file and try and try to change this line

ReflectionOffset= 

consider that the dock at top with normal reflections had this value ReflectionOffset=2 and in the end the dock at botton had this value  ReflectionOffset=82

hope this helps !

August 20, 2012 4:50:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Neat effect, frankell.  

+4 k for you.

August 20, 2012 5:03:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Moved out of support.

August 20, 2012 5:03:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Neat effect, frankell.  

+4 k for you.

It's always a pleasure for me (a dockskinner) to play with docks ! many thanks Wiz

August 21, 2012 8:56:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@frankell

You understood a part of the problem.

First I want to say that I can get the same effect on reflection as you. Reflected image IS on the upper side of the icon, BUT it is reflecting the BOTTOM part of the icons instead of the UPPER part of the icon.

Do you understand what am i saying? That being said...

Since the "picture is worth a thousand words"...

I have the dock on the top side of the screen and it looks like this:

And I want to look Exactly like this:

BUT with 1 difference:

1. ONLY the icons should be inverted (they should look normal not like this - upside down) and there titles should be bellow the icons.

Now, I can make that look like that but the problem is REFLECTION. The reflection will always reflect the LOWER part of the icons, and that image would be presented above the icon. All i want is the docks background to behave like mirror. So when I place the background above icons (icons look like they are hanging from the background) I want to background reflect the UPPER part of the icons AND that reflection should be above icons (like the background is mirror)>

August 21, 2012 2:15:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

first of all Object Dock 2.0 has natively\officially the icon reflections only with the Dock at bottom position ! ..but if you are using the .ini file of one of my last dockbackground there is the trick: because you can set only 1 good position (more precisely on moving the TOP dock up and down you will not move the reflections the same amount, for every new position you should edit the .ini file !)

in order to have a TOP dock with a fixed position usable for all the users the solution was (on creating the skin) first to check "Automatic distance from edge"  and then to  find the right value of ReflectionOffset= (yes again this text line !)

did you really tested your dock at top position ? I don't see enough space at top for the reflections

and definitely you will always have first the LOWER part of the icons in this case maybe only the OD developer could say something useful

I'm glad you are trying something new ... let me know !

August 22, 2012 7:52:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Looks like ther is some missunderstanding.

I already made my dock to look like i want EXCEPT the reflecion. And it look like this:

Now all I want is that the reflection image is from the UPPER part of the icons NOT the bottom. So everything is at the right place and only problem is that the reflecting image is showing lower part of the icons instead of the bottom. Nottice the refleciton of the weather icon, you can clearly see that it is showing the lower part of the icon (with temperature numbers) instead of the upper part of the icon (the sun).

P.S. Offcorce I will tweak it more (backgorud will be little taller...) but my main problem is that reflection. If i cant fix him my entire "project" will make no sense and it will just look weird.

August 22, 2012 8:59:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

first of all no problems nemanja1234 I'm glad you are using that trick

as Master WG well said you can freely use any .ini file there is no copyright on them

Quoting frankell,

and definitely you will always have first the LOWER part of the icons in this case maybe only the OD developer could say something useful

I can just repeat that only Jeff Bargmann the O.D. developer could say the last word on "the reflection image from the UPPER part of the icons NOT the bottom"

but at the moment for a simple skinner there is no way to gain that effect,

any way go on with your projects trying and trying you certainly will find other ideas with different appeal but more easy to work with !

August 22, 2012 10:20:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you frankell for your help. I was hoping that there was something that I overlooked.

Maybe I should post this question in differnet section of the forum. Because the title is not appropriate and developers probably dont visit this section.

August 22, 2012 10:31:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting frankell,
as Master WG well said

Thanks for the title Frankell! Uunfortunately I'm still just considered a lowly journeymen.  

August 22, 2012 11:05:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,
a lowly journeymen.

Ouch, that hurt. 

Though I won't argue the fact that  that you are worthy of Master status.

August 22, 2012 11:56:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting WebGizmos,

Quoting frankell, reply 12as Master WG well said

Thanks for the title Frankell! Uunfortunately I'm still just considered a lowly journeymen.  

You always will be a master for me,  just like messiah1 and Cavan1 !!!

signed: frankell (dockskinner)

August 22, 2012 1:23:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting frankell,
You always will be a master for me, just like messiah1 and Cavan1 !!!

You can count yourself in there as well Frankell...you've come up with some pretty interesting stuff for OD.

August 22, 2012 2:27:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WoW you made my day WG !

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.