Finally going 64-bit...questions and advice

By on June 20, 2012 11:59:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bonscott

Join Date 04/2003
+19

Currently on Windows 7 32-bit.  I've had a couple driver issues so a wipe and re install was in the works anyway.  Skyrim seems to need 64-bit to be able to properly use the HD textures without crashing and more games are looking to support 64-bit so I might as well make the jump.

I want to format the drive (as I always do with a re install of the OS) and install Win 7 64-bit clean.  I have the 3 license Win 7 Upgrade pack.

Now when I originally installed Win 7 Upgrade on the fresh drive I did the old "double install" method so the Upgrade version would activate.

My question here is this:

I assume "Upgrading" to 64-bit (from current 32-bit) will require a reformat anyway.  So can I boot using the 64-bit Upgrade install disk, it will detect this as an "upgrade" and then format the drive and install?

Or should I format the drive first and do the old double install method again?

I've downloaded and burned to CD 64-bit compatible drivers for my mobo and hardware so I'm good there.  All my files are of course backed up to both a 2nd drive and burned to CD so I'm good there.

Anything else I should be aware of or advice using a 64-bit OS?

Thanks!

7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 20, 2012 12:31:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is this a home built system?  I find it strange that a retail 64 bit machine would have 32 bit Windows 7 installed.

As far as Skyrim is concerned: I have almost 400 hours played. You should get better performance with 64 bit Windows, but the forums don't indicate that 32 bit Windows is an issue. Skyrim is a native 32 bit application, so you won't be gaining there at all. All of the Crash To Desktop (CTD) issues are related to add-on mod conflicts and mod load order requirements. The real problem with CTDs is that Skyrim won't report just what caused the problem, so it is up to the player to discover. Start with a vanilla installation plus the HD DLC, but testing each additional mod one at a time. Even so, some issues won't show up until later.

You will need a multi-core processor and a high performance GPU. I am running an i7 that cruises at 30-40% while my NVIDIA GT780DXR runs at 100% and a temperature of 95C.

June 20, 2012 12:39:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kku,
Is this a home built system?  I find it strange that a retail 64 bit machine would have 32 bit Windows 7 installed.

As far as Skyrim is concerned: I have almost 400 hours played. You should get better performance with 64 bit Windows, but the forums don't indicate that 32 bit Windows is an issue. Skyrim is a native 32 bit application, so you won't be gaining there at all. All of the Crash To Desktop (CTD) issues are related to add-on mod conflicts and mod load order requirements. The real problem with CTDs is that Skyrim won't report just what caused the problem, so it is up to the player to discover. Start with a vanilla installation plus the HD DLC, but testing each additional mod one at a time. Even so, some issues won't show up until later.

You will need a multi-core processor and a high performance GPU. I am running an i7 that cruises at 30-40% while my NVIDIA GT780DXR runs at 100% and a temperature of 95C.

Most definitely home built system. I put 32 bit on it on purpose when I built it.  And yea, i5 with AMD 6950 2GB (built over a year ago), upgrading from 4 gig to 16 gig RAM.  So it's a pretty high end system (even considering it's over a year old).  This is a gaming rig.  I always build my own PCs, never buy a retail.

As for Skyrim, the HD textures need the 4 gig of RAM which 32 bit doesn't allow.  The most common reason for HD texture crashes (Vanilla, no mods) is not enough RAM and 32bit system just doesn't allow enough.  Don't worry, that's the reason, not mods.    When using HD textures DLC Vanilla it crashes at the same spot in the intro video when the their speaks.  That's a true sign of not enough memory.  Even though I have 4, 32 bit only allows 3 and it's not enough.

June 20, 2012 1:07:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting bonscott,

As for Skyrim, the HD textures need the 4 gig of RAM which 32 bit doesn't allow.  The most common reason for HD texture crashes (Vanilla, no mods) is not enough RAM and 32bit system just doesn't allow enough.  Don't worry, that's the reason, not mods.    When using HD textures DLC Vanilla it crashes at the same spot in the intro video when the their speaks.  That's a true sign of not enough memory.  Even though I have 4, 32 bit only allows 3 and it's not enough.

Skyrim runs on a 64 bit system, but it is still a 32 bit application! The original Skyrim release was limited to 2GB, but this was fixed to allow up to 4GB to be used. The CTDs are a mod issue!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 20, 2012 1:27:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ,
Currently on Windows 7 32-bit.  I've had a couple driver issues so a wipe and re install was in the works anyway.  Skyrim seems to need 64-bit to be able to properly use the HD textures without crashing and more games are looking to support 64-bit so I might as well make the jump.

I want to format the drive (as I always do with a re install of the OS) and install Win 7 64-bit clean.  I have the 3 license Win 7 Upgrade pack.

Now when I originally installed Win 7 Upgrade on the fresh drive I did the old "double install" method so the Upgrade version would activate.

My question here is this:

I assume "Upgrading" to 64-bit (from current 32-bit) will require a reformat anyway.  So can I boot using the 64-bit Upgrade install disk, it will detect this as an "upgrade" and then format the drive and install?

Or should I format the drive first and do the old double install method again?

I've downloaded and burned to CD 64-bit compatible drivers for my mobo and hardware so I'm good there.  All my files are of course backed up to both a 2nd drive and burned to CD so I'm good there.

Anything else I should be aware of or advice using a 64-bit OS?

Thanks!

bonscott,

You can use the upgrade CD to install a fresh 64-bit W7 OS, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to format the drive and get rid of the 32-bit system first. You may have to get help from Microsoft to enter your product code, I had to do that, took about 10 minutes. You'll love the 64-bit OS, I have had ZERO drivers issues, you shouldn't either as long as you don't have any Jurassic hardware or software. 

Good luck,
Nicholas

June 20, 2012 3:22:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting kku,

Quoting bonscott, reply 2

Skyrim runs on a 64 bit system, but it is still a 32 bit application! The original Skyrim release was limited to 2GB, but this was fixed to allow up to 4GB to be used. The CTDs are a mod issue!

Not when you aren't using mods!  

Skyrim is 4 GB aware now but even with that on a 32 bit system which can't see more then 3, it's not enough memory for the HD textures to run right for many people until they go 64bit and get all of that 4 GB (or more).  Believe me, this is confirmed on the Bethesda forums.   The biggest suggestion for those with problems with the HD DLC is to have a 64 bit system so that it can use the full 4 GB *and* to have a video card with at least 2 GB of memory on board.

In either case Skyrim is off-topic to my question.  I only mentioned it as a side benefit to going 64bit will be less issues with the HD DLC and any mods should I choose to use any.

June 20, 2012 4:02:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Since 32 bit Windows can only address 4GB and it needs about 1GB for its own use, any 32 bit application will have only 3GB to play with. Since I have a 64 bit Windows system with 16GB of RAM, I never had the issue with the HD DLC that you describe. As long as you stick to a vanilla Skyrim with only the HD DLCs, you will have a nice, but boring time. However, if you start using any mods, you will quickly discover the truth.

I speak from knowledge and experience: I am done here!

June 25, 2012 9:37:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For anyone that is curious, an update.

You can indeed do a single upgrade install when going from 32-bit to 64-bit Win 7.  No need to do the "double install" method.  Boot up with the Win 7 64-bit disc and choose "Custom" install.  From there you can reformat your C drive and it will install the OS fresh and will activate just fine.

As for Skyrim...ran over 15 hours over the weekend without a single crash.  High Res textures and everything.  It didn't crash in the opening scene as it did before (which is the sign you don't have enough RAM for the HD textures).  It ran fine past that point with no issues.  After about an hour dinking around with a new character I went for it and install the dozen or so mods I use and loaded up my last save point about 65 hours into the game.  No problems and it ran for 4 hours straight with no crash.  And as mentioned I ran it all weekend with HD textures and mods with no crashes.

So there you have it, as suggested on the ES forums, go 64bit and at least 8 gig of memory will solve most crashing problems with HD textures.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.