Radioactive, molten cores and Sins planets

By on June 19, 2012 9:41:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

stein220

Join Date 12/2008
+12

redirected from a question in another thread.  i didn't want to tie up a thread about game balance with this.

The heat released from radioactive decay helps the moltenness.  Other factors are in play but radioactivity will keep a planet hotter, longer.  The spinning of a molten core creates a magnetic field to block out harmful solar radiation; this makes Earth-like life possible.

Terran planets in Sins are more likely to fit this bill.

For desert planets, it really depends.  Are we talking Sahara or Martian-like deserts?  The sand is a light tan color so they look to be Earth-like desert planets to me.  I haven't googled the role of silicates in Earth's 

Smaller planetary bodies will cool down faster (e.g. Mars and the moon, even though they are still molten) so I suspect you'd be less likely to find a hot one.  However, that will also depend on when planet formation happened around the various stars around you).

Now, keep in mind that I am not a scientist in any discipline so proper geologist might embarrass me for over-simplifying.

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 19, 2012 10:28:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

?

June 19, 2012 10:34:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

While it is certainly true having active thermal activity is considered important for a planet to support life, and radioactivity in the core allows large planets to keep it longer, just having it proves nothing. Distance from the Sun and atmospheric composition are probably more important. Or is that not your point?

June 19, 2012 10:37:15 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

So what did this have to do with the other thread?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 20, 2012 2:31:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Basically, what he's trying to say is that the Kol needs more lazers....

June 20, 2012 9:53:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,
Basically, what he's trying to say is that everything everywhere needs more lazers....

Fixed.  

June 20, 2012 7:34:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,
While it is certainly true having active thermal activity is considered important for a planet to support life, and radioactivity in the core allows large planets to keep it longer, just having it proves nothing. Distance from the Sun and atmospheric composition are probably more important. Or is that not your point?

Goa, I believe you are correct that distance from the sun (i.e. any host star) and atmospheric conditions (like having just the right amount of greenhouse effect) are the most important determinants of surface temperature, and life certainly depends on that.

I haven't stolen information from another site or article looked it up but I don't think we get much direct heat from our own core (I assume b/c the thickness of our crust?).  Decay of radioactive elements only produces heat inside our planet , but it also helps create the magnetic field that protects our life from harmful solar radiation (the really high energy rays that could mess with our molecules).  Friction and left-over heat from Earth's formation also contribute to heat inside.

Ryat, this came up because Mecha-Lenin suggested Strip-to-the-Core only work on terran and desert planets as a balancing feature and  that a nerdy-lore reason might be needed.  I don't think he was serious but I made one up anyway.

So I figured that terran and desert planets would be larger than asteroids and dwarf planets and that they would be more likely to have cores that were still radioactive and molten (planet age is still a huge determinant).

To leave out Ice and volcanic planets, i threw in a bit about the titan ability requiring a certain metal-crystal ratio so a planet with mostly one or the other wouldn't work.  I realize that it's the planet's asteroids that are mined in-game but I assumed that the planet would have a similar composition to nearby asteroids if they were created in the same proto-planetary disk (maybe crystals can't form under too much radiation so they have to be around cold planets?).

hehe, lazers

(Speaking of which, I'm not sure the bolts of energy(?) that Advent Disciples and TEC Cobalts shoot can be considered lazers; i I haven't run the numbers but it looks like they are traveling less than the speed of light in-game, the Kol's and Ilum's beam weapons look more like lazers.  Completely different subject though.)

June 20, 2012 8:54:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting stein220,
Decay of radioactive elements only produces heat inside our planet , but it also helps create the magnetic field that protects our life from harmful solar radiation (the really high energy rays that could mess with our molecules).

The magnetic field is due to the core spinning rather quickly, a result of it being molten...a cooled planet with no molten core with have a much weaker magnetic field...radioactivity has nothing to do with the earth's magnetic field, it is entirely due to spinning ferromagnetic material....

June 20, 2012 9:50:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Seleuceia,

Quoting stein220, reply 7Decay of radioactive elements only produces heat inside our planet , but it also helps create the magnetic field that protects our life from harmful solar radiation (the really high energy rays that could mess with our molecules).

The magnetic field is due to the core spinning rather quickly, a result of it being molten...a cooled planet with no molten core with have a much weaker magnetic field...radioactivity has nothing to do with the earth's magnetic field, it is entirely due to spinning ferromagnetic material....

For Earth, it is an indirect relationship.  "The magnetic field is due to the core spinning rather quickly, a result of it being molten."  Correct, and the Earth's moltenness is largely the result of the radioactive decay.  What I said made it sound like the relationship is more direct than it really is.  

But you are correct that if a planet had a molten ferromagnetic core solely as a result of friction, accretion, or even tidal/gravitational heating, it would likely still generate a magnetic field.  

June 22, 2012 10:48:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Is that with or without the retro-inclusion of the second assumption of simpson's rule?  This is crucial into understanding just why the lasers travel at a proper speed, or if they were in fact used to liberate the Orkulus from captivity when Captain James X. Manning revived the Vasari from his home in the Hamptons.

June 22, 2012 4:57:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting stein220,
For Earth, it is an indirect relationship. "The magnetic field is due to the core spinning rather quickly, a result of it being molten." Correct, and the Earth's moltenness is largely the result of the radioactive decay. What I said made it sound like the relationship is more direct than it really is.

But you are correct that if a planet had a molten ferromagnetic core solely as a result of friction, accretion, or even tidal/gravitational heating, it would likely still generate a magnetic field.
I would also like to add that internal heating is an important driver of volcanism, which in turn produced Earth's early atmosphere (which later became suitable for life thanks to other chemical processes). However, I have NO idea what would happen once a core cooled. Probably the atmosphere would stay around regardless.

June 22, 2012 5:27:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting stein220,
Goa, I believe you are correct that distance from the sun (i.e. any host star) and atmospheric conditions (like having just the right amount of greenhouse effect) are the most important determinants of surface temperature, and life certainly depends on that.

Quoting stein220,
Ryat, this came up because Mecha-Lenin suggested Strip-to-the-Core only work on terran and desert planets as a balancing feature and that a nerdy-lore reason might be needed. I don't think he was serious but I made one up anyway.

So I figured that terran and desert planets would be larger than asteroids and dwarf planets and that they would be more likely to have cores that were still radioactive and molten (planet age is still a huge determinant).

Yes. And as far as Sins and life is concerned surface temperature is probably what matters, though I suppose a planet with entirely subterranian life would be possible. Hence why I don't think the core is that important with basic planet classification (Terran, Ice, Volcanic etc.) If

You'd have a better argument saying planet size is better correlated to having molten cores. Smaller planets have a higher volume/surface area ratio, thus undergo a faster rate of cooling than do larger ones. Radioactivity in cores can play a role in prolonging their molten life but the size of the planet is the most fundamental variable that will determine how long a planet will keep a molten core (with surface temperature also being a consideration). And as you mentioned not all of these planets necessarily form at the same time, so how old they are would definitely count just as much as radiation.

That said, I believe in Sins all the "True" planets (Terran, Desert, Ice, Volcanic) are the exact same size, so I don't think that really helps either.

June 26, 2012 7:36:12 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GoaFan77,

That said, I believe in Sins all the "True" planets (Terran, Desert, Ice, Volcanic) are the exact same size, so I don't think that really helps either.

it would be interesting if there were planets with lower/higher surface gravity than average and they got a buff or nerf to tax income because of the energy requirements to sustain a colony.  You know, automatic planet bonuses like "Frequent meteorites" or "Industrial wasteland"

June 26, 2012 8:10:06 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Personally, I am pretty sure alien artifacts produce heat so it may be these planets are actually powered by ancient machines.

July 1, 2012 12:43:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Personally, I am pretty sure alien artifacts produce heat so it may be these planets are actually powered by ancient machines.

maybe ours is as well.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000891   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.