Windows 8 tablet

and why it doesn't really matter, and Microsoft is in a bad place.

By on June 18, 2012 11:59:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

Cruxador

Join Date 09/2007
+10

Here's a rather long evaluation of Microsoft's relevance in the modern tech market and specifically the relevance of the new tablet. (Spoilers: It's not that relevant).

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 19, 2012 12:14:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Adam Hartung is worth listening to... I agree with a good deal he had to say, and he really wasn't bashing Windows.

June 19, 2012 3:08:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's another Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/06/19/microsoft-takes-aim-at-apple-with-business-friendly-surface-tablet/

This one is more optimistic and focuses on what aims Microsoft is likely to accomplish here rather than those it's likely to fail at.

June 21, 2012 6:18:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I read both articles, and while I felt that Adam Hartung hit on some key points that Microsoft should heed, the Forbes article had some great thoughts on a more optimistic level that will hopefully ring true when Surface hits the shelves.

For mine, I like the look of Surface, and if ever I need a pad device it will likely be the one I purchase.   And no, I'm not a MS fanboy.  I do not like  its offering of Win 8 with Metro as the default UI, well not on a desktop PC, at least, but on a tablet device with 'touch' it would likely be quite suitable.

Anyhow, I hope MS does well with Surface and its Win 8 phone.  While they may not entirely compete with Apple's creations, I believe the entry of Surface and the Win 8 phone into the market will spur other developers to create better for less, thus creating competition that will be good for consumers.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 21, 2012 6:43:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes, what starkers said....

June 23, 2012 5:55:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Looks intriguing to me for my particular daily needs.  It will come down to price & battery life.  Not keen on having to deal with Metro, but having native printing capability is a big deal for business use.

June 24, 2012 12:07:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think dealing with Metro on a tablet device with 'touch' would be a completely different proposition to dealing with it on a regular desktop... where it's a complete pain in the ass.  The thing is, you'd still have the regular Windows UI underneath, so Metro wouldn't be all you'd have to work with, and once you're into that you're back on familiar ground.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.