Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

What's your ideal DesktopX script editor?

moving on then...

By on June 15, 2012 5:20:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skarny

Join Date 10/2002
+40

DesktopX Developers

You might be perfectly happy with the one built into DesktopX, but I'm going to have a go at making my own anyway.

Any suggestions for features of what your ideal DX script editor would have?

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 15, 2012 8:20:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Notepad++ + external scripts.

June 15, 2012 9:06:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

At the moment I think the hardest thing for me to do will be 'code block collapsing' that notepad++ does.
Notepad++ would have been my first choice for making a customized editor - but I'm not clever enough to work out how to do it..

This will be better though because I can deliberately interact with the theme directory and the objects within DesktopX as the editor will run as a desktopX object itself Gives me some ideas which would have been too difficult or impossible with Notepad++

June 15, 2012 1:40:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Gotta tell Notepad ++ what you are editing so that it gets the right colors. Saving after you start helps, or if you are crazy like me I tell it what I want to be - it's under Language.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
June 16, 2012 5:13:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Cool Liz! You're taken care of then

June 17, 2012 10:48:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I stumbled upon VbsEdit today. Nice set of features.

http://www.vbsedit.com

June 18, 2012 8:35:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting c242,
I stumbled upon VbsEdit today. Nice set of features.

http://www.vbsedit.com

Nifty find!

June 27, 2012 3:30:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have an 'auto-complete list' and basic function 'help tooltip' mechanisms working nicely.
The current code highlighting is just the default Visual Basic support in the control, but adding more won't be very hard at all.

The 'window' is just a bunch of DesktopX objects and graphics, no animations but the buttons etc. all do what they are supposed to.

Interestingly the ActiveX control I've used has many functions I can't make use of as they are intended for proper Visual Basic interfacing - one in particular is controlling which lines are rendered, which I could use to create collapsible sections.

Also some apparent bugs in the control which I've had to script inelegant (but functional) workarounds for as I don't have source code (and wouldn't know how to edit it anyway).

To add:

• function 'jump list' (to jump to a Sub or Function) without having to scroll through the script via a drop list.
  • rather than 'tabs' for each script, a treeview of DesktopX objects, clicking nodes to show the script.
  • compiling a bunch of xml entries for various vbScript object models for the 'intellisense' - vbsEdit (mentioned by c242) will probably help me out there as it already has a comprehensive list.
  • object variable typing - this is so if you create a variable to hold e.g. a FileSystemObject, the 'intellisense' will know to display FileSystemObject information correctly.

WIP-shot:

June 27, 2012 7:16:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's quite cool.

June 27, 2012 9:03:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nice work!

June 27, 2012 11:37:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Duhyy....is there an english copy?  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.