PC Cleaning

Sometimes you just gotta

By on May 29, 2012 11:01:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

Lantec

Join Date 07/2003
+345

I drag my desktop & laptop out to the garage about once a month to blast away a bit of dust but this is unreal....I'd be amazed if that computer would stay on for more than 5 minutes.

18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 29, 2012 11:09:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hoooooly shaite.....

That's madness. A fire waiting to start!

I clean mine at least twice a year.

Not like that though. Air-spraying like that is a bit too rough on the hardware, plus filled with moisture.

May 29, 2012 11:27:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Where is kept to get that dirty?LOL  You need  3M dust remover.

May 29, 2012 11:48:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OMG!!! I hope you're wearing a mask. Wow!!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 29, 2012 11:53:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Lantec, what the hell was I looking at. One Month!. Wow man. Time to get one of those washable filter materials, cut it to size and tape it to the fan intake.

In fact get two and change it every week. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202446710&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=202446710&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgooglebase%2d%5f%2dD26X%2d%5f%2d202446710

May 29, 2012 11:59:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Amazed it didn't catch fire.  Fie on its owner  .

May 29, 2012 12:03:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
Time to get one of those washable filter materials

Thanks Dave, I like the looks of that.  I've been cutting up el cheapo furnace filters.

Yep, 1 more vote here for some kind of intake filter with that kind of build up.

May 29, 2012 12:06:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I thought Lantec was just posting that, can't imagine he would ever have a computer in that shape. 

May 29, 2012 1:35:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Clean mine out at least every 90 days here.  But WOW! That guy must not have cleaned that PC for at least a few years!

May 29, 2012 1:50:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My sister in law brought me hers when it 'died'. I opened it up and it was as bad as the one in the video. What really surprised me was when I started removing the dust, there was a whole other layer of cat hair mixed in that was just as bad. When I got it all cleaned out, it started and ran fine.

The cat hair really freaked me out. I sounded like I was gonna cough up my own hair ball while I was cleaning it to keep from puking.

May 29, 2012 2:38:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
I thought Lantec was just posting that
 Is it Lantec's?

And that sounds so awful Po.  

May 29, 2012 3:05:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveRI,

Quoting DaveBax,
reply 4
Time to get one of those washable filter materials

Thanks Dave, I like the looks of that.  I've been cutting up el cheapo furnace filters.

Yep, 1 more vote here for some kind of intake filter with that kind of build up.

Tell you what else I use them for Dave. Every home has intakes vents for the heater and air. The filter in the heater is to collect all that is sucked in. My heater filter is 5" and $140.00 and I make it last for about a year and a half. I put the washable ones inside my intake vents. Only have 2 and it takes about 30 minutes to take them down and wash the filter and put back up. My heater filter gets any left overs and my house is pretty good with dust around.

Got that tip from a home improvement show about 12 years ago.

May 29, 2012 3:11:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's not Lantecs own video. Notice the 'Live Leak' logo, and the 'no speakaing engaleesh'?

May 29, 2012 3:15:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting IROKONESS,
 Is it Lantec's?

I drag my desktop & laptop out to the garage about once a month to blast away a bit of dust

So, no.... 

As for Smedley? Surprised you didn't see the news...

http://www.timesofisrael.com/couple-divorces-over-550-house-cats/

Actually? The reason the computer didn't run was probably the temperature causing a shut-down. Again... amazing it didn't burst into flame.

May 29, 2012 3:19:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks Snowman and Doc, I did have a difficult time believing it by his desk pics.

May 29, 2012 3:35:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm having flashbacks to my GeekSquad days.  At least nothing crawled out of his.  Not that much could survive...

May 29, 2012 6:50:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like this story from a few years ago too:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/snake-in-computer.shtml

May 29, 2012 8:06:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
I thought Lantec was just posting that, can't imagine he would ever have a computer in that shape

just posting it....I don't let mine get anywhere near that dirty

May 29, 2012 8:33:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I used to use the forced air on the keyboards at the paper mill. I designed a database that the shipping department used. The one department would key in the loads and the boys on the dock take them off. Every few weeks they complained it wasn't working and I went down to blast the keyboards, find the missing keys, put them back on, and reinstall the keyboards. They had those old clunker keyboards that nothing would hurt - I could have hosed them out and they would have been fine. I have a friend who used to run his through the dish washer. Between the dust of a mill and the bad habits of the fellows, they were always a mess. The units though only got it a couple times a year unless there were problems (and yes, I used the forced air - at quite a distance and with a shop towel over the nozzle) Even at a paper mill with paper dust, dirt, and whatever semis and trains brought in we still didn't need to more often that that.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.