Now Cable-Free

So Long, Cox

By on May 13, 2012 1:39:42 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Daiwa

Join Date 07/2001
+207

After months (OK, years) of fuming at my cable bill, asking myself why I'm paying $92 a month for cable TV (with NO premium channels) when I hardly watch anything but the Science Channel & NatGeo anymore, I finally broke out of my inertia & pulled the plug.

Fortunately, digital antennas have improved to the point that OTA HD channel reception is as good as cable or dish, at least here.  

We have 4 TV's in the house (2 of which were old CRT behemoths until earlier this year).  I now have 3 of them on $30 RCA flat-box antennas and one on a $13 RCA rabbit ear version, all with great reception.  I bought 2 Apple TV's and a Netflix subscription.

Old = $1100 a year (it's always frosted me they charge monthly rent for the remotes, FCOL).

New = $350 one time cost & $8 a month, $96 a year.

I think I like New.  I'll add stuff a la carte for sports & series I really want to watch (like Hell on Wheels) & I'll be able to watch them on my schedule - don't even need a DVR.

Now to figure out what else to do with all that money I'm saving.  After I finish kicking myself for not doing this long ago.

53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 13, 2012 1:59:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep, did same thing about 2 years ago. Never looked back.

May 13, 2012 6:36:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't even watch TV anymore because a lot of the shows I would like to watch get canceled before they even get going. That and the charges they put on every little thing makes it too damn expensive! A basic cable package without any premium channels costs about $99.00 a month where I'm at. So what's the point.

May 13, 2012 6:46:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm glad you posted this info Daiwa , I'm in the process of revamping my bedroom into a home theatre complete with surround sound but wasn't really thrilled with the thought of getting a ComCast cable account. You have opened my eyes to a very viable alternative that I'm definitely going to look into. Thank-you !

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 13, 2012 7:02:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad you found a cheaper solution...

i have no cable and no digital tv...im without that since 5 years now and i must say i dont miss it
i read and google more for that  

May 13, 2012 7:05:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

do you get HBO, with that ?

I got to have True Blood and Bill Maher

my cable bill is almost $200.00 a month with Internet

May 13, 2012 7:21:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I completely removed the omnidirectional sludgepump (tv) from my life many years ago. It's been great to have my brain and my own thoughts back. It gives you time for more important things too.

May 13, 2012 8:05:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I enjoy the history, science, bio, usa and tnt all of which I can't get on an antena.  I used to be on one when I was in the city and got HD and a lot of stations but not here in the country.

May 13, 2012 8:19:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's the real problem... you need to research if the move is actually a good one for you. You have to check availability, time, channels... worth the work if you come up with a solution. I think cable's going the way of the dinosaur... will just take time 'til someone puts them out of our misery.

May 13, 2012 9:51:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Seeing this reminded me to finally call the cableco and cancel local TV channels (can't get OTA signal here)... there was only even one program on there that I watched anyway, not worth $20/mo. Mostly just watch streaming programs online. I can watch that one program from "real" TV on Hulu at a week delay anyhow.

May 13, 2012 5:45:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

HBO is still initially cable-only, I believe, but a lot of the HBO stuff ends up available on Netflix later.

And Doc's right - if we didn't have good OTA access I would have switched to DN or DTV, only because it would have been a significant savings over the first two years.  Once the promo's over, though, back to square one at pretty much the same cost as cable.

May 14, 2012 8:11:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I disconnected over a year ago. Not going back without at least a 70% reduction in cost.

NetFlix and Amazon Prime subs. I have 1 TV with a Roku SX and another with Xbox360.....

The ONLY thing I miss about CATV is Speed Channel and it wasn't worth $180 a month.

Quoting Daiwa,
HBO is still initially cable-only, I believe, but a lot of the HBO stuff ends up available on Netflix later.

I'm pretty sure there's HBO on the Roku....I don't pay for it, but I've seen it in the channel list.

May 14, 2012 9:36:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

cable has never been that expensive in my experience.  i get the pro internet through my cable; which i need, because everyone's hammering the wireless.  the cable tv is not that much more after that.

May 14, 2012 9:47:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No more cable for me. Nope. I got mine lappy and if I want to watch something I'll either rent it or buy it. Later on maybe get a big HD monitor, about a bazillion inches, and I'll be good to go.

May 14, 2012 1:07:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd scared to do this because of the likelihood of broadband caps in the US. 

May 14, 2012 1:48:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I became cable free shortly after I became job-free. The over the air broadcasts lack cable's variety but the signal quality and digital surround sound (fiber-optic from my tv to my amp) is excellent. I'm using a small outdoor uhf unit with a 40db amplifier for it since we are over 30 miles from the stations. 

May 14, 2012 3:41:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Right now, one of the main reasons I've kept it is to watch hockey and (american) football.  Anything else, I can probably get elsewhere.

May 14, 2012 4:13:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Still using cable myself.  Must have hbo go for my game of thrones needs.  That said, there are so many good non cable options out there now - hulu, netflix, antenna, etc.  Don't think I'm quite ready to jump over into cost savings mode. I think I could make the transition easily enough to no cable, but not sure if my wife would be a fan. 

May 14, 2012 4:15:32 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Only thing my wife cares about is being able to watch Leno & Brian Williams, so it was easy for me.  I love her anyway.

May 14, 2012 4:55:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Here in Oz we have Fox, Optus and Austar.  All three are as bad as one another.  Before you get any decent content you have to take the basic package, which is 90% irrelevant and 10% bullshit... news channels galore, repeat after repeat of 40 y/o sitcoms, and fucking home shopping channels, that essentially are advertising.  I hate advertising on free-to-air, so why the fuck would I pay for 11 or 12 channels that essentially airs 24/7 ads?

There's a place where the sun don't shine... and that's where I rudely tell them to stick it when they come banging on my door trying to sell it to me.  Why am I rude?  Because I have zero tolerance for repeat offenders and a do NOT knock thing with those companies [and others] yet the bastards still come.  The last one I chased off with a garden spade.... accompanied with a: "Come back here again and I'll split yer fucken head open with it... now fuck off"

That was somebody I had told twice before to "piss off, I'm not interested.", so he got the rude, obnoxious, aggressive me, with a view to ensuring he doesn't bother me again.  Yup, it's amazing just how many of these imbeciles will come back a second and third time.  That's when I see red and pull no punches... figuratively speaking.  I actually had a woman come back a fourth time trying to get me to change electricity provider, so I let fly with a few obscenities and scared the bejesus out of her.  Needless to say, there was no fifth visit after I made some rather lewd suggestions.

May 14, 2012 8:31:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Starkers? You? Lewd suggestions? No......who'da thunk it.

May 15, 2012 4:59:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, right... especially when I'm such a nice guy.

I mean, I wasn't always rude to people at the door.

Like the time I answered the door naked and invited the religious canvassers to join the orgy.

May 15, 2012 7:47:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'll pass on that one. No smarmy comeback.lol

May 15, 2012 10:01:37 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting starkers,
Here in Oz we have Fox, Optus and Austar.  All three are as bad as one another.  Before you get any decent content you have to take the basic package, which is 90% irrelevant and 10% bullshit... news channels galore, repeat after repeat of 40 y/o sitcoms, and fucking home shopping channels, that essentially are advertising.  I hate advertising on free-to-air, so why the fuck would I pay for 11 or 12 channels that essentially airs 24/7 ads?

There's a place where the sun don't shine... and that's where I rudely tell them to stick it when they come banging on my door trying to sell it to me.  Why am I rude?  Because I have zero tolerance for repeat offenders and a do NOT knock thing with those companies [and others] yet the bastards still come.  The last one I chased off with a garden spade.... accompanied with a: "Come back here again and I'll split yer fucken head open with it... now fuck off"

That was somebody I had told twice before to "piss off, I'm not interested.", so he got the rude, obnoxious, aggressive me, with a view to ensuring he doesn't bother me again.  Yup, it's amazing just how many of these imbeciles will come back a second and third time.  That's when I see red and pull no punches... figuratively speaking.  I actually had a woman come back a fourth time trying to get me to change electricity provider, so I let fly with a few obscenities and scared the bejesus out of her.  Needless to say, there was no fifth visit after I made some rather lewd suggestions.

I'm totally agree with you man.You'r 100% good here that all three are as bad as one another.So,before you get any decent content you have to take the basic package.

Regard,

Alexander

Kitchen remodeling ideas

May 15, 2012 10:12:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's a bit like having a package where you have to pay for the ice before you get to buy any type of cream.   Yeah, I know ice blocks aren't used to make icecream but I think you see the point.

May 18, 2012 4:19:20 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

When I first got cable back in 82, cost was $8/month.  That was a LONG time ago!

And OTA is pretty good!  At my BIL, they had a TV in the guest room that was only Antenna, and I was impressed with the digital offerings - in a relatively rural area!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.