Not Bell Ringing...

...I have a legit query.

By on May 4, 2012 11:37:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

RedneckDude

Join Date 04/2009
+1433

OK, I feel silly, but here goes...

I made this DX theme, soon to be released. I just wonder if there are enough of you who don't puke when seeing it to make it worth the small effort to make docks and a rainy?

I assure you that absolutely no artistic skill was used in the making of these skins. (If you can call them skins...hehe.)

So, opinions on whether to make docks and/or rainy?

By the way, this is NOT based on the Metro blind. It is inspired by Windows 8.

22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 5, 2012 12:01:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Absolutely. Do it. You could do it in stages... but since you're doing it for yourself first and foremost, why not go whole hog?

There's no way to predict whether or how many people will go for it... this post isn't a bad step, though.

In fact, there might be lots, but the only way to really find out is to do it.

May 5, 2012 12:16:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you can make enough addons to imitate Win8 WITHOUT the "functionality" of Win8 .... you know....something that can be added to the OS-that-works Win7 .....

....you'll be on a winner...

May 5, 2012 12:19:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

But it's butt ugly...lol. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 5, 2012 12:37:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
But it's butt ugly...lol.

There it is! No really...there it is! Ok ok for real this time...it is on the plain side...butt your doing it for yourself...right...then finish it and see what happens. You'll either be hailed as a genius or hailed for the most butt ugly theme ever.

May 5, 2012 12:55:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
May 5, 2012 1:02:02 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The whole point I was making about Metro is that not much effort is required.

May 5, 2012 1:21:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

for the graphics? no, probably not.

but still Omnimo looks decent, your screenshot looks like a mess.

you probably do not notice, but look closer at: size of tiles in relationship to each other, font sizes, placement of fonts and other elements inside the tiles. and even though Metro is very simple, you managed to create tiles that do not match each other.

May 5, 2012 1:24:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

but: even if you keep it like that, it will get many downloads (all OS rips do) and many comments. :/

so if that's what you are looking for, go for it.

May 5, 2012 2:38:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If it is what you want to do, than go for it. Me personally, I hate the looks of all the Win8 stuff and would not have any of it on a silver platter or on my screen!

May 5, 2012 4:59:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have no personal like or interest in the Win 8 default interface and/or tiles, but I have to agree with Moshi that the Omnimo suite on Rainmeter does have an element of class, while your screenshot seems more disorganised and haphazard.  Yes, I know it is only a screenshot and that the end user could rearrange it more to his or her liking, but I do feel that the tiles could be a little more uniform size-wise, etc.

In fact, I have been intrigued some by this Omnimo suite on Rainmeter that I'm going to give it a spin on the Win 8 regular desktop to see how it handles... whether it is more intuitive and user friendly than that abomination MS is foisting on users as the default UI.

May 5, 2012 9:06:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I've had a bit of a play with the Omnimo setup using Rainmeter in Win 7 and, while I'm not a fan of tiles at all, it was rather interesting to use.  Well let's put it this way, when compared to the Win 8 default UI it is intuitive and quite easy to use... no hidden hotspots or crap like that.  It is highly configurable and customisable and makes Microstuff's hideous attempt look quite amateurish, to say the least. A deserved thumbs up to the developers, fediafedia and Xyrfo, for their time, effort and a more than half decent final product.

For those who like the idea of tiles and a new look interface, I suggest you take a look over at DA... link... or the home page.... link

Thanks to Moshi for the heads up...  ... who knows, this tiles thing might just grow on me yet.

May 5, 2012 9:36:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I knew I recognized the whole concept of 8/metro from somewhere

*puke*

EDIT: PLUS they were like 10 years ahead.

May 5, 2012 9:51:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a photo of me in a 'slightly' expensive outfit 'from' the united colours of Benetton ..... Alessandro Nannini had just worn it during the F1 GP in Adelaide.....came second, I think....or third....

There's Alessandro wearing it....

May 5, 2012 9:54:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
I have a photo of me in a 'slightly' expensive outfit 'from' the united colours of Benetton ..... Alessandro Nannini had just worn it during the F1 GP in Adelaide.....came second, I think....or third....

Reduced 96%

Original 296 x 454 There's Alessandro wearing it....
The look on that dudes face......

May 5, 2012 11:08:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
In fact, there might be lots, but the only way to really find out is to do it.

indeed.

May 5, 2012 11:31:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting moshi,
for the graphics? no, probably not.

but still Omnimo looks decent, your screenshot looks like a mess.

you probably do not notice, but look closer at: size of tiles in relationship to each other, font sizes, placement of fonts and other elements inside the tiles. and even though Metro is very simple, you managed to create tiles that do not match each other.
Quoting moshi,
but: even if you keep it like that, it will get many downloads (all OS rips do) and many comments. :/

so if that's what you are looking for, go for it.

You have apparently missed the point of the thread.

Thanks, Moshi, for your input.

May 5, 2012 12:51:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd make them both then play around with the whole thing and see what happens.

May 5, 2012 1:06:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If You really want to go the metro path, IMHO a bit transparency and playing with mouseovers would work (I have done a small corporate app like that reading relevant data from MS SQL and its parameters from MS Access, and some more bells and whistles like mail and shortcuts/links ,  see shot). And go for  more pastel colors, not so bright and shiny ones. Just a few tips from an old DX fart...

May 7, 2012 1:51:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting c242,
If You really want to go the metro path, IMHO a bit transparency and playing with mouseovers would work (I have done a small corporate app like that reading relevant data from MS SQL and its parameters from MS Access, and some more bells and whistles like mail and shortcuts/links ,  see shot). And go for  more pastel colors, not so bright and shiny ones. Just a few tips from an old DX fart...
I thougth you were dead.    Nice to see you around Carl.

May 7, 2012 4:27:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jim, if I were you, I would upload it as is, and if you see a lot of people downloading it, since "absolutely no artistic skill" is necessary for the creation of this, you could do the docks and rainy if it looks like there is going be a demand.  That way, 1) you wouldn't be wasting your time on something that there was little demand for; and 2) if you wait for a bit after the DX comes out, adding a side-skin renews interest in the original skin.  Just my humble opinion, of course.

May 7, 2012 6:06:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I like your opinion, Karen. Thanks! 

May 8, 2012 8:53:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I thougth you were dead.    Nice to see you around Carl.

No, just massive amounts of work to do. Employment AND own company.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.