Pets; Man’s Best Behaved Children

Smarter than you think!

By on April 30, 2012 6:14:09 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

GirlFriendTess

Join Date 11/2001
+11

We have 2 cats and a dog now and they are so different from each other. Shadow the mutt (not to loudly) got his name from a habit he always seemed to have … and in the morning if you forget your panties, he gives a whole new meaning to ‘a dog’s cold nose’. He runs around 48 pounds and is composed of a muscle with teeth on one end and daggers on the other … but he is such a lover??? Black lab and pit mix and definitely an alpha male who clips his own claws (remember those teeth, hahaha) and he has never encountered a bug worthy enough to live on his body. We live in sunny bug infested Florida … my previous dog had to be groomed daily??? He sleeps faithfully with me every night and pines at the door when I dare leave him behind … true love.

Then there is CC our calico, she has lived with us since she was weaned. She is my husband’s cat without a doubt and will only come to him … sometimes, but to no one else. She is as recluse as can be and pretty much seems concerned only with the location of Shadow the muscle. When she is on the file cabinet and wants to leave the room and Shadow is scrunched in his ‘Lazy Boy’ it can be like a 5 or 10 minute slow motion opera as they play their cards out. The dog pretends to sleep and the ever so cautious cat makes mental mathematical calculations … inch by inch hahaha. As the cat progresses the dog’s head comes up as if on cue inch by inch. At some point the dog blinks the cat jumps and the race is on. If he gets lucky and manages to catch up to her or trap her somewhere, well she reminds him quite boisterously that she is the alpha cat … and of course that cats rule. He has been foolish enough to get within teeth range but once. Now he just seems to like to hear her cursing … must be a dog thing. Most only get to see pictures of her.

Then there is P.I.T.A. our black and white cat who picked us out at the adoption center. Day one we filled out the paperwork just to qualify (???) and the kittens were all frolicking as only they can and we were undecided. Day two we were approved and there was only one kitten frolicking the rest were sawing logs. That was all the ‘sign’ we needed and she has proven to be the friendliest cat we have ever had. She too follows me around like a puppy, room to room and back again. But she is not afraid of Mr. Muscle at all and likes to snuggle in the middle of his bed and his favorite blanket; she is so bad, hahaha. Our little ‘Pain In The Ass’ has proven to be very loving, very smart and very persistent and easily lives up to her name. We have a pet door to our patio that allows all the animals 24/7 access to Mother Nature … the back yard. This article was supposed to be about her daring escape, but I will save that for later as this is probably already too long.

31 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 30, 2012 7:10:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've got a ten year old lab-pit-shepherd mix and he will point to the air conditioner knob when he is hot, carefully move electrical cords away from his toys and rolls over when he sees you with a jar of "mineral ice" so he can get his legs rubbed.

Let us hear when a raccoon finally comes through that pet door--it's always hilarious.

April 30, 2012 7:58:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've got it hard in that my refrigerator and my back door are too close to each other, and I've got a 2-story house.   If he needs to go out in the yard, he goes to the backdoor (which is near the refrigerator) and barks; and I let him out.   If he's hungry, he goes to the refrigerator (which is near the back door) and barks.   So guess what happens if I think he's had enough treats already but he doesn't think so:   he goes to the refrigerator (which is near the back door) and barks.   Well...if he has to go, then I absolutely must go downstairs and let him out.  So I go downstairs and open the back door.  But wait a minute:   he doesn't want to go outside, he wants a treat.  So I just went all the way downstairs only to tell him "no, you've had enough".  So I go upstairs.  5 minutes later he barks again.   Crap.

April 30, 2012 10:20:51 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

You guys are just too much hahaha. It is late (almost 10:30) and I have had two beers which is about my limit so I will be back when I recover and laugh some more. Thanks for sharing, hahaha.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
May 1, 2012 5:22:33 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Your story will be funnier if a skunk comes through that pet door.

May 1, 2012 5:23:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bad forum!

May 1, 2012 9:24:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a  dog he is a multesex shuzitsu he is about  9 months old and is full of cheek, firstly if I catch him doing  something that he is not meant to be doing I growl  at him then he don't want nothing to do with me  so he is dads boy  then , and if he does something and dad caches him he is my boy  and then if he thinks he can get away with it he will suck up to one of us for a treat  no second gueses who he  cons the  treat out of how could you resist such cute puppy dog eyes

his name is Toby, the other people we got him from called him Bear but we ended up changing it   to Toby

May 1, 2012 7:52:10 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
Your story will be funnier if a skunk comes through that pet door.
Well as it happens ... we have this feral red tabby cat with whom we had previous encounters (see http://forums.joeuser.com/419797/page/1/#3116576 comment 3) and he did come in looking for P.I.T.A. one evening. It wasn’t a big deal as all I saw at first was an outline but the longer I starred, the more things began to seem wrong. As I jumped out of bed (hahaha) he took off down the hall. As I got to the bedroom door, he was just getting to the end of the hall where what else, Mr. Muscle was waiting just having woke up from a slumber. Well the little shit never missed a beat and launched himself completely over the startled dog and made good his escape. And of course I was well ROFL, what else. Dogs can look startled too, hahaha. Our privacy fence probably keeps most vermin away though I am sure Shadow takes all the credit.

May 1, 2012 8:12:39 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting mrs_starkers,
Reply #6  mrs_starkers
The last dog my Mother owned was a shiatsu and he looked almost identical to yours (just older). His name was Fudgy and he was a ball of fun and quite smart. We came close to adding a Boston to our menagerie but it didn’t work out (they changed their minds). Imagine what a shockwave that would have sent rippling through our ‘stable’ familial structure, hahaha. Fudgy had a lot of skin problems but maybe that was because we live in bug infested Florida. Shadow thinks he is a lap dog too, oh my.

May 1, 2012 8:26:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting tetleytea,
Reply #2 tetleytea
Have you considered remodeling or moving, hahaha. Oh my, but we generally do get more than enough love in return to make it all worthwhile … right? Food, feces and unlimited love … what more could someone want?

May 2, 2012 2:13:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Best behaved?  Ehhhh, I would say most predictable.  But their behavior leaves something to be desired at times (we have 7 cats).

May 2, 2012 9:56:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,
Reply #10  Dr Guy
About 25 years ago I had a cat, one silly Female cat (later to be called Granny) ... and she was in heat (again). We had a screened in porch where she was caterwauling one afternoon. I was on the couch watching her ... when I saw a strange cat walk into view in the back yard. Then it was into one of those "slow motion" episodes life springs on you from time to time just to keep you wound up. Did I mention that cat (later to be called Mr. Horney) was a Male? Anyway, He started for the patio from the east and I of course did too from the west, but as it turned out he had more motivation than I so I guess you can see where this is going. He hit the middle of my eastern screen at a full gallop (?) and I was trying to get one foot in front of the other one quickerer. Well, he went through that screen like it wasn’t there and landed on the back of my innocent girl (the bitch). I don’t know what the world’s record is for premature ejaculation … but he couldn’t have mounted her more than a second or two when I made my next and worst mistake.

Eventually I got there but he paid me no mind until I grabbed him by the scruff fully intending to let him know my mind … but … he took great offense and showed me what caterwauling was really about. I thought I had him in a way when he somehow rotated 180 degrees (believe me I NEVER let go) and sunk all 200 claws up to their sockets into my forearm. Well he really was pissed (I decided later) as he bite me to the bone on both sides of my hand … sombitch!!! Well about the time I realized I had screwed up big time, when the pain reached my shocked brain, I threw him off my arm as if he were a rabid baseball and right thought my ‘southern’ screen, geese. For my valiant efforts, I received a dozen stitches and the worst case of cat scratch fever I ever saw and had to replace two screens. I was willing to accept my losses, too bad she got pregnant anyway. Should have just let him have his fill and opened the door for when he got through … but you know what they say about hindsight.

May 3, 2012 3:49:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

When I was separated from my first wife, and renting a place, there was a momma cat that I started feeding (she looked emaciated).  Eventually she came to accept me, but never fully trusted me (so I could never get her to fix her).  She went into heat and you should have seen the males lined up!  It was like Pay day on 10 mark allee!

I made the mistake of assuming (once the kittens were born) that she knew me well enough not to be threatened by me when I went to see her kittens (she had them in the basement).  The difference between your injuries and mine is I had a better escape route!  So just a few scratches.

After the kittens were weaned, she brought them around for me to hold and pet.  She was her own woman.

All of mine are fixed.  They are happy, celibate, and only one has an attitude (and then not too bad - he bites feet).

August 4, 2012 12:13:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a small handicapped chocolate lab dog named Mindi..   She was born with lame legs;  I call her my little "walrus girl" as she wobbles about when she walks.    She seems to be able to see things we humans' can't see.   She's chased something invisible off of a mushroom ring near my faery garden when she was a pup..   It was so cute looking at her happily charging after the mushrooms and knocking the tops off of them.   

I spoke to a very intuitive woman who connects with other realms about this once at a Holistic fair I went to.   She told me that the Pixies were teasing with her.     When I got home, I reflected at how seemingly "meanspirited" these alleged Pixies were in doing that when suddenly I received this foreign thought that interrupted my thoughts.   "We HAVE to do that because you humans never pay enough attention to her!" was this emphatic reply.    Ever since then, I made a point to love her- and from that time , my heart has found a love for all animals wild and tame- including the insects.    

Mindi is now full grown now- and is ever my little "Walrus Girl" who sees beyond the realms that I cannot.

August 4, 2012 12:38:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting mrs_starkers,
I have a  dog he is a multesex shuzitsu

OK... I'll probably regret it, but I'll bite. Just what is a 'multesex'?

Tried to get a definition... I simply will not give you a screenie of the results. Ever.

As for me? Zane! (the bold, italicized text and exclamation point are part of his name). He's a Russian Blue without papers - an "Undocumented Alien". He's also illegitimate. I'm afraid to utter the "b" word. Like most cats (pardon the noun, Zane!), no birth certificate. He probably thinks he's World President except that he's convinced he's G-d. Maybe more. His Astrological sign is "Mr. T.", with "Arrogance rising.". 

He's a racist and a fascist, and those are his better qualities. He steadfastly refuses to recognize other cats as being cats. Lucky for me he doesn't actually speak English (although I will swear that he has tried to say, "I love you."). He does that of his own free will. No treats involved. At 17 lbs. "Sorry Zane!, no treats" is the party line. I think "I love you" must mean "Do it now, stupid human." He enjoys lying on my chest so he can knead my neck. I don't pretend to enjoy this, but have little say in it. The reason is he told me once, "You'll have to sleep sometime."

I simply cannot believe no one has posted a pet picture yet.

Oh yeah, when you do, make sure you're in it too. 

August 4, 2012 2:07:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
OK... I'll probably regret it, but I'll bite. Just what is a 'multesex'?
.. ...I want to know too!

August 4, 2012 6:33:36 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

drjbl, your zane sounds like a male version of my 'little girl' torrie, who like your zane is 17lb, does like to sleep (for half hour naps in MY shoulder and neck(really from one side on the chest across my chest onto the  opsite shoulder with her head curled onto the arm on that side

and I also have another AND larger (20 lb)cat called bosley who just buzzes when ever he is near me,(and he will curl up on my legs for hours at a time(particularly likes me watching movies & shows in my cinemaas he gets a several hour curl without any distrbances other than torrie deciding to curl OR let me recover from HER curling

and a photo of BOTH of them on a large bed

harpo

August 4, 2012 9:59:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

We have 2 cats and a dog now and they are so different from each other.

the difference between a cat and a dog is, when you die, the dog will mourn you forever, the cat will play with your toe tag on the way out... 

August 4, 2012 10:41:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

harpo... you feed them dry food?

syd... if the mortuary folks tarry before taking the corpse out, both will feast before they'd starve. They have their priorities set correctly.

August 5, 2012 4:02:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

yes, royal canin, and free access to water as they want

harpo

August 5, 2012 11:59:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wow harpo99999, bosley rocks with his enviable bling.!!! 

August 5, 2012 6:41:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

unfortunately his reflective collar broke a few months ago, but has been replaced with a nearly as reflective one just a different shade

August 5, 2012 7:01:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting harpo99999,
yes, royal canin, and free access to water as they want

harpo

If you want them thinner, use canned food... the dry food is starch and causes insulin surges which make them hungry sooner than needs be.

August 5, 2012 7:17:02 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

drjbl, when I pat/cuddle/carry them all I feel IS muscle & a small amount of bone, no fat unlike me, and bozley has on several occasions jumped from the tile floor, next to a 1.2 metre high cat tower that i built for them, ONTO the top without touching the side of the tower, to me that indicates that he has very little excess mass, and both of them do still have the hollows infront of their back legs which also suggests to me that they are NOT fat, and what is MORE frustrating is that they do NOT like the canned food that is available and leave it to dry out and get thrown out.

harpo

August 5, 2012 7:46:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Zane! is the same way... but there's abdominal fat there.... the fore and hind legs are rarely, if ever fat.

August 5, 2012 9:41:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have three cats. Foofy... the one you see pictured here just turned 17 on  June 1 of this year. That makes her 83 in our years. She is female. The other two I have are both male. Valentine and Lil Man were both from the same pound and are not litter mates. Valentine is one month older than Lil Man. Valentine is of the same breed as Harpo's all black cat and they are purposely bred to look like the black leopards of India. He definitely has the TEETH!!!! When he gives you an affectionate bite he can sometimes draw blood. Valene is scared to death of everyone and everything but me for the most part and a have a nick name for him. I call him the surgeon because he likes to grab a hold of your hand and draw to to him so he can clean it. Then he will go to the other one and do the same to that one. He will clean it all the way to the elbow just like surgeons will do when they scrub in before surgery. His teeth are as sharp as a scalpel. Don't forget those claws! Lil Man is the long haired black and white one that is the same breed as Foofy with white only on the right side of his face. He is the WIERD ONE. Lil Man DOESN'T like human food!!!! You would be lucky if he would come up and sniff at it. Lil Man almost died of F.U.S. twice... and the vets tried to put him on wet prescription cat food. HE WOULDN'T EAT IT!!!! The vets say... well we have some dry prescription cat food for this and if he doesn't eat this he is going to end up starving himself to death and cats will do that if they don't like something enough. He likes his DRY prescription cat food for it. Lil Man has an amazing talent. He is like the seizure dogs... he can tell when I am able have a grand mal seizure. He will start meowing to let me know before it happens and he will lay right next to my head and not let me get up until HE IS SATISFIED I am alright. =^..^=

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000704   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.