I'm Back Times Two.

By on April 25, 2012 6:15:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah

Join Date 05/2006
+734

Last year, before November, I remember setting up my laptop, getting ready to go to work. I had just gotten some really good graphics and was eager to get started. Coffee in hand I sat down and powered up. A few seconds later my screen is up and I'm online. I got up to go to the bathroom, five minutes, and when I returned my laptop was gone! Stolen within that time. I had a shit fit!

I ran outside, hoping I'd catch whoever stole it. No luck. This dude was gone. I ran back inside and told the staff who immediately called the police. There was one person who saw someone in that room where I do my work. He said this person asked him "How do I disconnect this thing?" The guy said he didn't know and left the room. All he had to do was pull out two wires.

So I make the report and in between that time and the time all was said and done the day was over and I was a wreck. I didn't know what to do with myself. Suffice to say no sleep that night. The next day I go up to the computer lab and use one of theirs to get on line. I had to tell my friends that my laptop had been stolen and that I would not be able to make the skins for them. You don't know how much that hurt. But I did it and the response blew me away!

What followed was an outpouring of support from WC and family. One member, I'm not trusting my memory to say who, I might get it wrong, got in touch with Jim Dillard aka RedneckDude and they started a thread called Help Uvah. A fund was established and donations sent my way not only to help me replace my laptop but financial support as well. And believe me it was sorely needed, without rehashing my situation.

On the 18th. of November I went to WalMart and purchased my Toshiba. Unknown to me at the time  Andy, neone6 and Kitty, Vampothika made plans to send me a replacement laptop. From Sweden! That brought tears to my eyes that someone I had never met would do that for me. In fact, I've not met anyone from the WC.  Maybe one day.

Yesterday I get an email from a Philadelphia detective asking who uvah is. When my laptop was stolen I was online at the WC. Plus another tab open to yahoo. That's how he got my email, DrJBHL's and Frankell's who also received and email asking about uvah. I finally manage to speak with the detective not an hour ago. My laptop has been recovered from the same thief who stole it. I even got the guys name and my description of him fit. Though I didn't see who took it the guy he asked also described him the same way. His name is Rosco. I gave him my information and I'll be making arrangements to pick it up one day this week. So a great big thanks to all my friends at the WC and then some for all their support and well wishes. BTW.....I'm not far from getting my own place now. Finally!

55 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 25, 2012 6:22:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Go Ross! Glad to hear you'll get that laptop back, and getting a place of your own too!

Hope all your graphics are still on it too!

April 25, 2012 7:05:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ross... great news. frankell is the real hero in this as are the Philadelphia Police, and one Detective in particular...

To Detective Wojciechowski - great work, sir!!! Thank you for helping our friend, Ross.

I'm even more pleased to hear you're getting a place of your own, and that you have plans to further your education and graphics skills.

G-d bless, Ross.

April 25, 2012 7:12:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you DOC, Lightstar. I feel like I'm riding on a cloud. Yay me!

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 25, 2012 7:19:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The recovery of you original laptop is amazing! Wish I could have had that kind of luck when my brand new desktop was stolen! Happy to hear your good news!

April 25, 2012 7:20:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Wax up the slugger, Ross. 

April 25, 2012 7:24:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Very good news Uvah. 

April 25, 2012 7:32:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's really great to hear, Ross. Hopefully all your data is intact. 

BTW, if you have one too many laptops, the one RnD sent me is on its way to landfill staus real soon, wooden hardrive, hamster-powered fans and all.

It's a Gateway Solo1450, over 10 years old and everything on it is failing, just like it's owner. 

April 25, 2012 7:51:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yay for Uvah. I'm real happy for you.     May the bird of paradise shine it's ever lovin light on you.

April 25, 2012 7:58:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@Wiz...You ain't goin' nowhere. PM me your particulars and I can get it out to you. It may take a little while though. Postage and all that.

@Frankell....Doc is right. You really did get this ball rolling. A special thanks to you my friend.

Edit: RnD refreshed my memory, post #11. So to JuniorCrooks a heartfelt thank you for everything.

April 25, 2012 8:36:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad to hear this is all resolved....

April 25, 2012 8:56:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I must say, Junior Crooks is the one that asked me to do the thread. Let's not forget JC in the thanks. 

April 25, 2012 9:32:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

April 25, 2012 9:43:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Good to hear that things are working out for you.

April 25, 2012 9:47:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Heads up Wiz........its on the way

April 25, 2012 9:49:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had no idea you were near Philadelphia. No wonder you're so cool.

April 25, 2012 10:02:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

great news... nice to know the thief didn't get away with it.... 

April 25, 2012 10:10:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

April 25, 2012 10:21:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And in so doing I get to help our Wizard. Now that's cool!

I love this stuff.

April 25, 2012 10:36:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
And in so doing I get to help our Wizard. Now that's cool!

I love this stuff.

Andy and Vamps get a big "Thumbs up" for starting this "Pay it forward"... Ed's motto.

And Uvah, big "thumbs up" for helping the Wiz.

April 25, 2012 10:49:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Now that is what I call family,great news Uvah I am so happy for you  on getting your old laptop  back and to finally have your own home  wow thats just great  words can't express how happy I am for you . and I am sure starkers is too ,  when he reads this .  I am so, so , so , happy and glad that kitty and andy  helped you so much good on you guys  kitty has always had a huge heart and that shows in what they did congrats to you for making this bloke so happy ..... I am sending you all my love, can you feel it

April 25, 2012 11:03:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah.....and it feels nice and snuggly. Thanks Shaunna.

April 25, 2012 11:09:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Heads up Wiz........its on the way

This is such a good deed, I'm speechless, and I'm never speechless.

You made an old Wizard very happy. and don't worry, I won't let that Rosco hombre anywhere near it.

April 25, 2012 11:14:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

No worries there dude. Where he's going a laptop will be the least of his problems.

April 26, 2012 12:43:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have been touched with this story from the beginning...not just what happened to you, but also from the support of this community.

This is Social Networking at it's best.

Anytime your up in the Scranton area, look me up. Dinner is on me.

Keep moving forward, Ross.

Kudos and Karma for everyone.

April 26, 2012 12:50:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
and I'm never speechless.

Amen to that!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.