Change the emplacement of the stardock folders?

By on April 24, 2012 5:45:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LoosGuccreen

Join Date 01/2012

Hello !

First of all, sorry for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker (blah blah), I do the best I can. Anyway.

So, I'm posting here because I have a small SSD (120Go) for my system (and a huge one for my data (2To on RAID5)), and I found out that the Stardock .dreams and .wb stuff were pretty heavy. 

5.5Go are used for "extracted data" (on \ProgramData\Stardock\DeskScapes\ExtractedData), and again 7.8Go are used on \Users\Public\Documents\Stardock, 1.9Go for WindowBlinds and 5.2Go for DeskScapes (and 500Mo for IconPackager).

It does that 19 Go are used, which is really huge on a 120Go disk.

So, I would like to know 2 things:

1) May I delete the ExtractedData (or the files on \Users\, I don't know which one is used by DeskScapes)? What's the point of having twice the same files? Are they really both used?

2) The Stardock stuff really doesn't need to be placed on a SSD. The wallpaper routine is just useful once in a while (and it doesn't matter if it's 0.034 ko/s slower to load, seriously), and I don't even speak of the WindowBlinds stuff, which is loaded only when I want to change the theme (which occurs... Once every two month at maximum).

So, is there a way to move the Stardock stuff and say it to the concerned softwares ? (I don't know, registry edit? Something like that? I can't find anything on the options, but maybe I did not well looked) 

I really do like the Stardock softwares (even if, IMHO, they could really be improved), however it really pisses me off to have 20Go used on my SSD for that, when I have a waaaaay more pertinent 2 To nearby. 

Thanks a lot. 

Locked Post 20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 24, 2012 6:30:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh and:

3) Would using a soft like SYMmover be a good idea to liberate space in this case ?

April 24, 2012 6:46:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can set any folder for your dreams in Deskscapes. You do it in settings in Deskscapes. I keep mine on a platter drive, off my SSD.

April 24, 2012 8:02:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You can also store the WindowBlinds skins and IconPackager files wherever you want, and get to them from the programs.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 24, 2012 8:56:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting willistuder,
You can also store the WindowBlinds skins and IconPackager files wherever you want, and get to them from the programs.

I've done this with IconPackager as there is an option to change directory within the program, but if you could enlighten me as to how to do that in WindowBlinds I'd be eternally grateful. 

I've been wanting to do this for ages but have never found a way, so any help would be greatly appreciated as I too have a 120Gb SSD and would like to store all my skins on another drive.

April 24, 2012 9:16:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah, I don't think you can move the windowblinds. If you have instructions to the contrary, John, please enlighten us. 

April 24, 2012 10:12:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

i'd like to know how to do that with wb too. sadly, the facts i can't put my skins on a platter drive and and dwm is constantly disabled when starting windows have caused me to not use wb any longer.

April 24, 2012 10:15:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm talking about the uninstalled files, unfortunately. I guess the only thing that you can do for the installed ones is to delete all the skins in WindowBlinds, except for the one you are using. That's inconvenient, but if space on your SSD is that valuable, it would at least free up the space.

April 24, 2012 10:20:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

1) May I delete the ExtractedData

Leave the folder itself there (C:....\Deskscapes\ExtractedData.  You should be able delete the folders within it, such as \Desktop Earth {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}, or maybe try moving them elsewhere first to be safe.  Those folders are created the when you preview a dream in Deskscapes Config.  I don't know why you have two sets of them, or how they are mapped on Win7.

April 24, 2012 10:23:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting willistuder,
I guess the only thing that you can do for the installed ones is to delete all the skins in WindowBlinds, except for the one you are using. That's inconvenient, but if space on your SSD is that valuable, it would at least free up the space
It's not that valuable.

April 24, 2012 11:27:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting willistuder,
I'm talking about the uninstalled files, unfortunately. I guess the only thing that you can do for the installed ones is to delete all the skins in WindowBlinds, except for the one you are using. That's inconvenient, but if space on your SSD is that valuable, it would at least free up the space.

The thing is, we shouldn't have to make compromises. For SSD users in particular, and moreso for users like Jafo, who have only a 60Gb SSD, there should be a way to change the WB directory to free up space for apps and not bog down the drive.  I raised this issue before and Neil said, because I was dual booting, that he would be loathe to give out the instructions as to how change the directory because each OS handles WB's differently and it would create more problems than it was worth.  I am no longer dual booting, though, and I cannot see why it should not be possible to store my WB's on a separate drive. 

As it is, I have 3 copies of all my WB's because I have two backups and the WB directory.  If I were able to use one of those backups as my directory it would save tripling up and save me a shipload of disk space on my SSD. 

So how about it Neil.... pretty please with sugar on top???

[yeah, I know, I'm being a kiss ass, but somebody's gotta do it]

April 25, 2012 3:26:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

2) The Stardock stuff really doesn't need to be placed on a SSD. The wallpaper routine

The wallpapers can be stored anywhere.  If you want to store wallpapers elsewhere and include them in your Windowblinds settings:

Open WB Config

Click on "Wallpapers" tab on bottom

Click on the word "Settings" on the right edge, between the wallpaper previews and the big screen preview.

Click on the "Add Folder" button in the Wallpaper Settings window that pops up and browse to your folder.

One other thought about the Deskscapes Extracted Data folder:

Those folders are created every time you preview or use a dream if one does not already exist for that dream.  If you delete an extraction folder for a dream, then preview that dream again, the folder for it will reappear.  Deleting a dream within Deskscapes does not delete the extraction folder.  If you have never cleaned out that folder, it contains folders for every dream you have ever previewed or run, which can easily be gigabytes of useless files.  It is good keep that folder cleaned out, regardless of the hard drive size.

April 25, 2012 11:32:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

[quote who="RedneckDude" reply="2" id="3137739"]你可以为你的梦想在Deskscapes任何文件夹。你在Deskscapes设置。我把我的SSD盘片驱动器上的矿井,关闭。

减少31%原来1920×1080[/quote]

April 25, 2012 11:44:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

*amazed Redneck translates to Mandarin. 

April 25, 2012 11:47:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I found this on moving user folders and Program Data off of the C drive. It has to be done during OS install, and it looks like work to me, but if it does what you want, it would be worth it.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/win7-how-do-i-move-user-folder-to-a-different/565f16a5-e5ed-43c9-8422-4f56aebb296e

April 25, 2012 11:53:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting RedneckDude,
reply 2

Quoting RedneckDude,
reply 2
你可以为你的梦想在Deskscapes任何文件夹。你在Deskscapes设置。我把我的SSD盘片驱动器上的矿井,关闭。

减少31%原来1920×1080

Doesn't really look (to me) like anything the Redneck would say.

Better re-think your statement. Did you forget he is also an Alien?

April 25, 2012 11:57:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

April 25, 2012 12:03:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
Better re-think your statement. Did you forget he is also an Alien?

I believe the PC term is "Undocumented non-terrestrial visitor".

More germane to the thread and its location:

I think the problem regarding WB and skins is that the program was 'born' when disks were smaller, and multiple disk systems were a lot rarer. The WB program tells the OS to look for the skins in a very specific location, and no other. Thus, if you move the skins from where they should be, WB would most likely not work at all, or give Windows Basic.

April 25, 2012 12:36:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
I believe the PC term is "Undocumented non-terrestrial visitor".

Extra terrestrial would be more accurate. RnD go phone home now...

April 26, 2012 7:40:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
I found this on moving user folders and Program Data off of the C drive. It has to be done during OS install, and it looks like work to me, but if it does what you want, it would be worth it.

Object Desktop stuff seems to ignore the setting. They actually recreated the Public/Documents folder after I had moved it. You have to use each program's method except WB which I couldn't find a way to move either. Definitely a wish list item.

April 26, 2012 5:12:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You rocks guys thanks a lot, I saved 13Go on my SSD by moving my dream files.

For the WB ones, meh, I think i'll have to do with them. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.