Turn off auto arrange of icons within fence on Fences Pro

By on April 18, 2012 10:25:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

marksmatt

Join Date 04/2012

Just upgraded to fences pro in order to have the ability to arrange icons within a fence.     It appeared on your fences page that this was one of the benefits of the getting the upgraded version.

However, it looks like there is no way to do this, and I am forced to use one of the default windows sort options inside the fence.   Is this correct?

Quoting from the product description on your product page:  "Sort icons in fences by date, type, size, name, times used, etc. " if you can;t sort by your own order (the etc. part of the sort), then the free functionality would have been fine for me.  

Am I making a mistake in how I use the software, or am I out my $20?

Love the product (other than the sort)

Matt

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 18, 2012 10:30:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you right click on the fence title, under 'Sort Fence by' there is an option for 'None'.  This will turn off the auto-sort, and let you rearrange the files as you see fit:

April 18, 2012 11:50:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the quick response.   I have the same setting checked (none, maintain sorting), and when I put a new icon into the fence, or try to move an existing icon to a new location in the fence - it just re-shuffles the order by moving around the icons like shuffling tiles around on a table.    I have created an example of what I am trying to have the ability to do for reference using mspaint.    If I drag that file into the fence - it just shuffles it into the icons as if they were auto arranging on the windows desktop.

Machine is running Windows 7 home edition.  Auto arrange on the desktop is turned off as well.

Edit - looks like I can't attach an image....any place I can upload?

April 18, 2012 1:03:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

imageshack.us ?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 18, 2012 1:04:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ah, what you're talking about is auto-arrange, not sorting.  Right now, there's no way to turn that off inside of a fences, though it has been requested before.  I'll add your name to the list (that sounds more ominous than it is).

April 18, 2012 8:17:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks Rosco - GOTTA have that one.   It would make this a killer app!  

May 1, 2012 11:20:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If auto-arrange could be turned off, I'd buy the pro version right away. As it is I cannot use Fences.

leo

December 30, 2012 12:00:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just downloaded and installed 2.01 version but if I want to move my icons around inside the fence they keep jumping up to the last position in the next row up instead of allowing me place them where I want.  In other words, if I have 2 rows of icons and I want to drag the top left icon down to the far right end of the bottom row, it jumps back to the top left spot.

edit:

Great, I just clicked, or I guess double-clicked, on the desktop and all the icons disappeared.  I had ahold of one icon when they disappeared and when I released that icon it went away too.  Then, you're notice came up to not worry about the icons disappearing - it happened b/c I double-clicked on a blank spot on the desktop.  So I double-clicked again to bring them back as instructed and the only one that came back was the one I had ahold of when the others disappeared.

What do I do now?

I'll try rebooting and report back.....

(I'm kinda surprised you don't have a troubleshooting guide included with the program...)

Ok.  Nevermind on the disappearing icons.  I read under "Configuring Fences" about switching pages by pulling the edge of the screen with the mouse.  I have a triple monitor setup and my icons were on my left screen so I decided to try to pull from the far right edge of my right screen and out they slid.  Good deal.

But, do you guys see any updates in the future planned for being able to place icons anywhere within the fence and having them stay there?  That's what I usually do with windows desktop - I turn off "auto arrange icons" and move them where I want them, keeping "align with grid" tuned on so they stay nice and straight.

Marc.

December 30, 2012 12:32:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Docmarc,
But, do you guys see any updates in the future planned for being able to place icons anywhere within the fence and having them stay there? That's what I usually do with windows desktop - I turn off "auto arrange icons" and move them where I want them, keeping "align with grid" tuned on so they stay nice and straight.

See #4 ....

February 21, 2013 3:57:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Has this ability been added yet?  I was going to purchase Fences 2.0, when I noticed I could not arrange my icons in any meaningful way within the fence itself.  This makes it really pretty useless.  I think this should be a top priority.

March 16, 2013 4:30:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'd like to know too, I'd also like to be able to free arange within fences, any update? Running 2.01 pro version

March 19, 2013 5:37:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting timmycrackcorn,
when I noticed I could not arrange my icons in any meaningful way within the fence itself.

I hear your pain . . but no meaningful way?

There is meaning there.

April 19, 2013 2:45:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Will this feature be added soon? Looking forward to buy...

I want to have several rows in a fence, with different number of icons each, like:

SYSTEM (Fence)
Icon, Icon, Icon, Icon (row for Utilities)
Icon, Icon (row for Benchmarks)
etc.

April 19, 2013 3:53:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is not planned at this time.  I would suggest using multiple Fences with the title turned off.

April 25, 2013 7:33:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please add me to the list of users would would like to be able to turn off auto-arrange. I have over 100 icons on my desktop fences and when looking for one I go to a specific area to find it. If I remove one icon all the others move up, some moving from left end of a row to up a row and now right end of the row. I would like all the icons to remain in place when an icon is removed.

April 26, 2013 7:28:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting jim149,

Please add me to the list of users would would like to be able to turn off auto-arrange. I have over 100 icons on my desktop fences and when looking for one I go to a specific area to find it. If I remove one icon all the others move up, some moving from left end of a row to up a row and now right end of the row. I would like all the icons to remain in place when an icon is removed.

I will make sure the developer is aware of the request.

May 6, 2013 9:10:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good you please add me to the list as well! Also for me this "free arrange" posibility was one of the things I expected from bying the pro version.

May 23, 2013 8:11:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I came here to buy this today thinking that you must have fixed this problem by now. I thought there was no way that you would ignore the most annoying problem with the original Fences. That was the one reason I removed it from my machine. Other then the program moving my icons around I liked it and hope you can do something to solve this stupid little problem.

The statements in the posts above regarding a fix for this are very ambiguous. Do you really plan on fixing this or is it not possible? Can you let me know so I can look for something else if this is not fixable? 

Thanks

Johnnie

May 23, 2013 8:45:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ohohoy,
The statements in the posts above regarding a fix for this are very ambiguous. Do you really plan on fixing this or is it not possible? Can you let me know so I can look for something else if this is not fixable?

See reply #15.  The meaning is quite clear.

The potential to have fixed-defined locations for icons [not auto-arrange] as a function is not a 'fix' - it would be an added feature/option.

Reply #11 indicates the current arrangement options already provided.....

May 23, 2013 10:45:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

See reply # 13 where another member of your staff says almost, I think, the opposite. Not so clear when you look around.

I call it a fix since that basic functionality is built into Win XP when you have a folder on the desktop and I believe was also included as far back as Win 3.1.  I don't see anyway to do it in win 7 though. So much for progress.

May 23, 2013 10:57:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting ohohoy,
See reply # 13 where another member of your staff says almost, I think, the opposite. Not so clear when you look around.

I call it a fix since that basic functionality is built into Win XP when you have a folder on the desktop and I believe was also included as far back as Win 3.1. I don't see anyway to do it in win 7 though. So much for progress.

No, it's not an opposite...it's an alternative.

"I don't see anyway to do it in win 7 though."

Stopping 'auto arrange' is still NOT a 'fix' for Fences....although you may just call it a 'fix' for Microsoft's Windows 7 [if it were ever to be implimented].

May 23, 2013 1:44:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As a workaround to get gaps filled in my layout i usually use Directories with the special character behind alt kea+0160 on numberblock which is a space character that stays at the end of directory names and a invisible symbol. works for me as it should and im already used to have those in use...

November 26, 2013 4:48:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Seriously, I'm a software developer myself and i can't believe that being able to arrange the icons however you like within a fence is NOT a feature.

I downloaded Fences to help with re-arranging my icons again after Remote Desktop screws them up and i was loving Fences (only had it installed for like 10 min) until i tried to arrange the icons how i wanted without auto-arrange only to find out that you can't do that.

I would have considered buying the Pro version, but you guys have shot yourselves in the foot with this one. I'd hate to think how many more sales you would have had if this was a feature.

Sign me up on the list of users who want to have the ability to TURN OFF auto-arrange.

Until then, peace.

February 28, 2014 5:12:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same as everyone above. The thread is almost 2 years old, has this not been resolved? I've only had the software installed for 10 minutes , love it, but absolutely need for the icons to stop auto-arranging (very annoying).

March 5, 2014 3:37:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just bought Fences myself, upgraded from the free version, hoping the Auto-Arrange could be disabled.  As it stands, the Auto-Arrange feature is still re-arranging the icons within the fences.  Because of this I too cannot use the actual Fences feature on my desktop.   I have too many icons that need to be arranged together and not in a sequential order, and I’d prefer not to have 20 various fences all over.  The snapshot tools is still all I can really use it seems.  With this request being 2 years old now, I don’t’ see them adding it in.  *sigh*  Unfortunate.  Stardock, please get the auto-arrange feature sorted out for us please.  Thx.

July 8, 2014 7:27:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I would also like to add my voice to the requests for this being a feature that gets added. While it's not *completely* unusable for me without it, it would definitely be like twice as useful if it were. I have icons that I'd like to group together but still place some of them on the right edge of the group and others on the left edge of the group, for instance, even if I don't have enough icons in the group to fill the whole space. Right now I'd just have to create two groups, which is barely acceptable, but they are logically one group.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002000   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.