Would it be posible to make a skin like this?

By on April 14, 2012 6:38:43 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums External Link

Darryl Ba

Join Date 01/2004

With giving the creator full credit (and their permission) could WB skin W7 into this? Thanks!   http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept#

Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 14, 2012 7:09:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yes you could skin windows 7 to look like this but you cant change your explorer to look like the example with just applying a skin-
the whole theme looks quite familiar to me...if i compare it to a recently released beta especially the stripes on the sides ( red )
I dont know who made it first but just compare it to SDC even the font looks the same 

April 14, 2012 7:20:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,
I dont know who made it first but just compare it to SDC even the font looks the same

Although Neil hasn't actually denied it, I suspect that Steve Sinofsky actually did.

April 14, 2012 7:50:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yeah you might be correct with that Doc i had seen a similar style on the first demonstration of ms on cebit, i do like the design no doubt it looks very clean and professional i just wonder how far the copyright protection goes on this... its hard these days to unerstand the level of potection and law when it comes to UI´s  you can make a choice and be lucky not to be spottet or make a choice and be dragged to law these days everything is possible and will even sharpen up in the future... asking for a permission would be useless since they would never give you a email with an allowance attached...even if you would offer it as freebe...
i asked intel about a permission, MS, Lianli, Roccat, TT-esports and Sony i spended weeks to get to someone with the authority to grant permission and only LianLi gave a green light under the condition that it will be free to download...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 14, 2012 8:08:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,
its hard these days to unerstand the level of potection and law when it comes to UI´s

No, it's quite easy.

Whom-ever can demonstrate the originality of their design can claim inherent copyright.

First in best dressed.

Permission can ALWAYS be sought.

It 'may' not always be granted.

That's life.

April 14, 2012 8:11:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The believe the original design is from Microsoft and the first use was in the Zune software.

April 14, 2012 8:24:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

That's life.

Or the way it should be.

April 14, 2012 8:40:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

XP Luna has more "pop" than Metro. (and I'm no fan of XP)  Boring, flat, plain,overly simplistic, the Volkswagen Beetle of UI design. I'm sure the masses of  MS sheep will flock to it.   The "Toys R' Us" look just doesn't work for me.  I'm hoping WindowBlinds/ODNT will do all it can to make my desktop NOT look like that! My prediction is.....  SD will continue to profit from design decisions like this, so it's not all bad.

"7, a successful number bookended by two five letter fails"

April 14, 2012 2:37:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Quoting Roloccolor, reply 3its hard these days to unerstand the level of potection and law when it comes to UI´s...

No, it's quite easy.

Whom-ever can demonstrate the originality of their design can claim inherent copyright.

First in best dressed.

That's life.

Thats what i mean...  if you start working on your "project" that you do from scratch but the original idea came from something you had seen while its not under any protection or copyright and you release it as freebee and the original creator then decieds to make it worth the invested time (  because he notice that many people are interested in it ) he/she could/would be still able to sue you... That was what i meant to say im not sure how its called for the US but we still argue about ACTA and the consequences that come with it... 
@Wizard1956 i wouldnt mind having a style closely to it that is transparent and can apply a soft gradiant of your choice from the top bottom left or right, i also agree that i dont want to be forced to live with a metro style forever on my desktop that is why iam fan of SD/WB
But i do enjoy webpages that are not overstuffed if thats the word like the new HP of Stardock it is overviewable and fast and the "metro look" like in the OP screenshot is one of them.
@Jafo - It 'may' not always be granted.   or unless you invest enough green paper

April 14, 2012 5:37:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
   Boring, flat, plain,overly simplistic, the Volkswagen Beetle of UI design. I'm sure the masses of  MS sheep will flock to it. 

I agree.

Why would any one want a skin looking like it wasn´t skinned ?

-So... The "Style" is easily copied, since there´s not much of that in it at all.

April 14, 2012 5:49:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
The "Toys R' Us" look just doesn't work for me.

You've got to give them credit for trying to get their next generation of users (aka "revenue flow") on the string though

April 14, 2012 8:54:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Roloccolor,
but the original idea came from something you had seen while its not under any protection or copyright

Anything you 'create' contains inherent copyright, whether it's formally applied/declared or not.

Simply put....if it's not yours but someone else's it's not yours....it's someone else's....

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.