IconX on XP

Help....

By on April 11, 2012 11:26:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

RedneckDude

Join Date 04/2009
+1442

Hey guys, I'm installing IconX on my XP rig and it won't take my serial. Please help.

14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 11, 2012 11:37:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And while we are on the subject.......maybe someone can tell me why IconX disappeared from my account in 2009. I would like to try it on my XP laptop....while the laptop is still alive.

TIA.

April 11, 2012 12:15:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
maybe someone can tell me why IconX disappeared from my account in 2009.

Most likely because it's no longer available/in developement aka it's dead.

April 11, 2012 12:33:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you REALLY have to have it, contact support and we'll see if anything can be done.  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 11, 2012 3:54:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I guess I can live without it. I just don't get why it's in the store, I can download it, the serial is there, but it won't take it.

Seems like it shouldn't be there for download if I can't use it.  What is the point?

April 11, 2012 3:57:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The code that reads serials has been updated since IconX was decommissioned.  There are fixes . . but they have nothing to do with IconX or the store.  Mostly.  

April 11, 2012 3:58:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ok, now that makes sense.....

April 11, 2012 5:36:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, ticket submitted.

April 11, 2012 6:14:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Quoting Wizard1956,
reply 1
maybe someone can tell me why IconX disappeared from my account in 2009.

Most likely because it's no longer available/in developement aka it's dead.
  I just thought at one time we were told we would retain access to everything in ODNT that we purchased, legacy, dead, or not. It did show, along with WFX3 and Right-Click but one by one they disappeared. Not a problem, just updating my info. I  didn't honestly expect these to hang around forever.
Quoting Zubaz,
If you REALLY have to have it, contact support and we'll see if anything can be done.  

Well, it was only a passing interest, not worth support going to any trouble. This laptop isn't long for this world and after that, I hope to never see XP again. Thanks for the offer but I guess I'll just let them stay dead.

/end inquiry

April 11, 2012 7:17:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

I just thought at one time we were told we would retain access to everything in ODNT that we purchased, legacy, dead, or not. It did show, along with WFX3 and Right-Click but one by one they disappeared. Not a problem, just updating my info. I  didn't honestly expect these to hang around forever.

Yes, but that was the old deal. The new deal is that if you want old 'discarded' applications, previously supplied by/through ODNT you basically had to have taken a backup of the installation files.
Many of the disappearing applications have simple been discontinued.
Many were made for/on XP and I guess it just wasn't worth the cost of maintaining nor supporting every single application ever made.

There is an official statement burried somewhere on the forum, but I'm fairly sure the (awesome) support staff can confirm it.

April 11, 2012 7:35:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
you basically had to have taken a backup of the installation files.

Agreed....now all we need is the opportunity to do that before they get sunsetted.

Impulse was our ticket, but that isn't feasible because you can no longer restore Impulse archives. So we should have the opportunity to archive what we have bought and then SD can lay them to rest.

Just my thoughts.

April 11, 2012 7:45:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
if you want old 'discarded' applications, previously supplied by/through ODNT you basically had to have taken a backup of the installation files.

Been there, did that. ....with a program called Impulse and we all know how that worked out.   I just thought that if a program showed in Impulse, I would have the opportunity to redownload and archive them in a working format.  It has been explained to my satisfaction that this is not the case. (Thanks, Zubaz)

I asked about the legacy apps as I know the same ones I have missing do appear on other subscribers accounts, but not mine.  However, if these apps can't be activated, then having them available anywhere seems like a moot point.

XP era.....please just go away.

April 12, 2012 3:42:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
The new deal is that if you want old 'discarded' applications, previously supplied by/through ODNT you basically had to have taken a backup of the installation files.

Problem with that is that they are always made unusable. And now that we are being made to uninstall impulse and install this new SDC even those backups are now unusable. Personally I would still like to be able to access those apps since I did pay for them regardless of whether or not they are being supported since I still have an xp machine. Making them available as stand alone apps for those of us that still want to use them would be nice. That's one of the nice things about stand alone apps...I'd have them forever regardless of what anyone else decided...no backup needed. If there is a backup somewhere of these files I'd love to know where they are so I can save them.

April 12, 2012 6:32:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The installer itself serves as one kind of backup Web. That's how I use it.

Nice to see ya again.

April 12, 2012 7:54:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Short answer . . retired applications are stuck at where they were.  other technology, like activation, continues to get updates and may get out of sync.  Some of you bought Windows3.1 and AppleWorks . . they are likely not working either.

Support forever is never part of the deal.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.