Anyone have any luck getting deakscapes to run under windows 8?

By on March 9, 2012 8:35:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

GhostCyber

Join Date 09/2006

I am just wondering if it is possible, amd if it is what am I doing wrong?

I have tried running it all in compatibility mode, but nothing seems to want to work very well, or at all,

I have a suggestion for star dock, if possible, it'd be f'n awesome if you extended this app to work with windows 8 and have the optionut in to be able to lock it as all background, including the start menue (metro deskscapes, YEA BABY), well, the new metro start menue,

It would look so slick...

Sorry about my spelling, that'll teach me to type in forums on a win 8 tablet and not read it before I post...

Come on, no one?

please please please stardock, whats the issue here? with winrt deskscapes should perform better then any prior version, want me to program it for you?

101 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 16, 2012 12:58:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We are waiting until Windows8 is further along before we devote a lot of time updating our products.  It's wasteful to build something that breaks because of a change, right?

March 16, 2012 3:34:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That's not to say we're ignoring Windows 8.  We're definitely keeping a close eye on what's happening with it.

April 1, 2012 11:15:31 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

well, microsoft's assessment doesnt say there is  a problem with windows 8, and besides it not working, my right-click on the desktop from an upgrade cause explorer to crash with the win8 customer preview. i found a way to disable the menu item with shellexview , but seriously this needs addressed.  At the very least, this needs to be flagged if you are not going to waste your time in development with a beta product.

I get that things change, but you think you could provide something for your paying customers.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 1, 2012 11:20:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting robpresson,
I get that things change, but you think you could provide something for your paying customers.

They do, it's called Start8. Nifty thing, you should grab it.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

April 1, 2012 11:58:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting robpresson,
At the very least, this needs to be flagged if you are not going to waste your time in development with a beta product.

Windows 8 is "THE BETA PRODUCT".

Never expect ANY program developed for a PRIOR OS to work fully/correctly with a BETA of a NEW OS for which the program was NOT intended.

Microsoft obviously thinks it's a clever idea to garner interest in a new OS by releasing it EARLY to people to play with.... but the process causes instances of VERY unreasonable expectations placed on others.

The VAST majority of people playing with Windows 8 simply shouldn't be....

April 2, 2012 6:58:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DeskScapes 3 is designed for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 and we have never claimed it works on Windows 8.

If you opt to run it on an unsupported OS then it may not function correctly and I suspect the problem is a bug in the OS itself as the very same code works on Vista / 7 and even the developer preview of Windows 8.  Bugs in Windows 8 should be reported to Microsoft and this is the purpose of the beta releases.

Letting us know is obviously helpful, but we have no plans to officially support Windows 8 until it is much closer to final release (supporting a beta OS is a waste of resources), and given the timing of that I would expect the supporting product to be DeskScapes 4.x rather than 3.x.

May 11, 2012 1:41:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

any news yet on this?

4 months till launch... aprox..

July 9, 2012 6:54:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Frankly, I am still miffed about this.  When I did the upgrade to Win8, it did not flag this product, that I had purchased a week prior, as incompatible which I realize isn't exactly Stardock's issue.. but was is an issue is the response that it is not a supported OS, it's beta, etc.  When the customer previews are provided, the code base is mostly baked.  It's written here like it is a total waste of time and is an excuse. Several companies provide win8 updates for their products when they don't work.  It gives you the chance to test your code as well so that when the product DOES launch, you aren't starting from scratch, and you have an ever-growing production released product that your product simply does not work.  My final comment was YES i checked your site to see fi win8 was supported, i opened a ticket, and was not told it was unsupported nor that it didnt work.  oh well.

As a developer, IT Architect, I could help the team with testing startdock Beta builds.  I am not your average user who shouldn't be running the code.

let me know if you care to have some help

July 9, 2012 7:38:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One would think an IT Architect would know the meaning of Beta.

July 9, 2012 7:56:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I want support for Windows9........right NOW!

August 8, 2012 9:54:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Will current versions of Stardock Apps be upgraded to support Win 8 or will that be in a major upgrade - i.e paid upgrade?

August 8, 2012 10:06:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Michael_Lenser,
Will current versions of Stardock Apps be upgraded to support Win 8 or will that be in a major upgrade - i.e paid upgrade?
The upgrade path has not been determined as yet.

August 8, 2012 10:50:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The upgrade path has not been determined as yet.

Which means Stardock IS seriously considering to make it a paid upgrade. I think I'll hold of upgrading to the paid versions and see what upgrade path IS determined.

Thanks.

August 23, 2012 5:39:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi there,

since Windows 8 is now finally out for students via MSDNA and developers I am wondering wether there is a pending update.
I did not want to open up a new thread. If you think it is more adequate, feel free to shift this over into a new topic.

August 23, 2012 7:32:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting maxemoeller,
Hi there,

since Windows 8 is now finally out for students via MSDNA and developers I am wondering wether there is a pending update.
I did not want to open up a new thread. If you think it is more adequate, feel free to shift this over into a new topic.
We've recently released WindowFX 5 (beta) and Multiplicity 2 (beta) for Windows 8.  Expect other software to follow.  

August 23, 2012 7:57:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

We've recently released WindowFX 5 (beta) and Multiplicity 2 (beta) for Windows 8.  Expect other software to follow.  

I'm looking forward to it and to read it in the next newsletters sooner or (hopefully not) later 

August 24, 2012 8:02:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting robpresson,
Frankly, I am still miffed about this. When I did the upgrade to Win8, it did not flag this product, that I had purchased a week prior, as incompatible which I realize isn't exactly Stardock's issue.. but was is an issue is the response that it is not a supported OS, it's beta, etc. When the customer previews are provided, the code base is mostly baked. It's written here like it is a total waste of time and is an excuse. Several companies provide win8 updates for their products when they don't work. It gives you the chance to test your code as well so that when the product DOES launch, you aren't starting from scratch, and you have an ever-growing production released product that your product simply does not work. My final comment was YES i checked your site to see fi win8 was supported, i opened a ticket, and was not told it was unsupported nor that it didnt work. oh well.

As a developer, IT Architect, I could help the team with testing startdock Beta builds. I am not your average user who shouldn't be running the code.

let me know if you care to have some help

Stardock has always used the 'beta process' to develop its products....still does.

However, releasing a beta product for a beta OS is doubly challenging...even for the IT professional...as BOTH products [or either] are bound to FAIL at some time.

The safer option [for most] is to at LEAST wait until the OS for which they are designing is at a GENUINE and SAFE RTM stage.

August 24, 2012 5:45:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
The safer option [for most] is to at LEAST wait until the OS for which they are designing is at a GENUINE and SAFE RTM stage.

Jafo, Did you know that you can download the GENUINE and SAFE RTM from Technet?

October 28, 2012 7:54:55 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Any new word on this? Windows 8 is now out officially and I would like to be able to use the product I paid for. I shouldn't have to downgrade back to 7 just to use this program.

October 28, 2012 8:07:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Sorry to differ, kyokai01.

You paid for the product advertised to work on Windows 7. It does.

Nowhere were you promised a product which would work on Windows 8.

If you decide to buy an iPad or Android device, Stardock has to create a program which will work on those OS's too?

Wait patiently and perhaps Stardock will entitle you to the W8 version. Who knows?

October 28, 2012 8:58:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There will be information in Deskscapes on Windows 8 this coming week I believe.

October 28, 2012 9:48:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
There will be information in Deskscapes on Windows 8 this coming week I believe.

Great news...I just loaded 8 on my laptop and miss having an animated desktop.

I imagine you guys are hard at work on getting these Win 8 compatible...it is appreciated.

October 29, 2012 12:30:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You know we all like to complain about not having Deskscapes on Windows 8 yet but that just proves people want the products you are providing. I would like to say I am looking forward to the update too and I think this version of Windows needs it more than previous versions. I wonder is it possible to make more dreams like the paid one with the pictures falling. I think it is by far the best yet the earliest. Could you tie Deskscapes to music, the battery level, the local weather? I hope this isn't taken wrong but I would love a background app like this on iOS too. All I'm saying is I love the product and look forward to new releases.

November 6, 2012 1:09:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great just shell out $49.00 Object Desktop only 3 programs work with Windows 8 and the one I really wanted Deskscapes too work with windows 8.I already brought it for windows 7 already.I wish you make it more clear that only 3 programs work with window 8.

November 6, 2012 1:11:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Been over a week any news.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.