Railguns: The Navy's 'Ultimate Superweapon'

Bad Ass!!!

By on March 8, 2012 6:38:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

RavenX

Join Date 10/2008
+153

If this isn't cool I don't know what is. I've known about this for a while and if you've watched certain shows on Discovery or the History Channel or even the Military Channel then you've probably known about it too. There's also one in Tranformers 2 the movie but of course that's just a sci-fi envisioning of the real thing, which is actually coming to a battleship near you real soon. I found this article in TheWeek.com.

Link to Story

There's also some vids on YouTube:

To quote from the article linked above, " The Office of Naval Research (ONR) is now test-firing a working prototype of the weapon that's small enough to fit on a warship. Using electric pulses, not chemical explosives, the cannon can shoot a 40-pound metal slug from New York to Philadelphia at up to 5,600 miles per hour — more than seven times the speed of sound — with 32 times the force of a car traveling at 100 miles per hour.".

I've seen better tests than in this video and if you look around YouTube you'll find them. For something that's supposed to have been under-wraps it hasn't been that secret, but, now they're announcing it so it'll be world news. From what I've heard these weapons can do a lot more impressive things than what they're saying in the article. I've heard they're even considering using railgun magnetics with what's basically a giant "Hot-Wheels" track looking launchpad to shoot stuff into orbit. 

81 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 11, 2012 8:19:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting DrJBHL, reply 2Wish they'd put those efforts into a slug of health, decency, human caring, peace, humanity and dignity to be fired to an altitude where it would spread out all over the globe...

Sounds like Hippy talk! Get 'im!!!!

Ya get me, man?

March 11, 2012 8:52:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Being one of the last group of young men to receive a letter from my Uncle Sam as part of the Draft I never took to the All-Volunteer force.  I wonder if the Draft was put back into effect how that might effect all of this 'Kill Them' attitude.  No doubt the population of Canada would see an increase.  I wonder. 

March 11, 2012 9:07:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Were it anything like Viet Nam yes you would. Many fled across the border during that time to avoid the draft. I know...I lived it. I wasn't a conscientious objector but I was set firmly against the war. It took Uncle Sam twenty years to finally admit it was a mistake going there. Twenty years and sixty thousand some odd lives later. As for the draft.......it became the Selective Sevice System, a lottery. The first one was the first two hundred fifty and the second, last one was three hundred. My numbers were 275 and 325 respectively. I got lucky. Then when the survivors returned home they were spat on and called baby killers. The massacre of a small Vietnamese village might have had something to do with that.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 11, 2012 10:17:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting RogueCaptain, reply 72Guys, Germany had railguns in WWII that reached all the way across to the UK.

I guess a big gun mounted on a railway 'carriage' could be called a 'rail gun'....sorta like painting "ncc1701" on the side of a V2 and call it the Starship Enterprise.....

lol thats funny good analogies 

March 11, 2012 10:41:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Quoting RogueCaptain, reply 72Guys, Germany had railguns in WWII that reached all the way across to the UK.

I guess a big gun mounted on a railway 'carriage' could be called a 'rail gun'....sorta like painting "ncc1701" on the side of a V2 and call it the Starship Enterprise.....

@both Jafo's reply and the absurdness of RogueCaptain's post!!!

Made my day!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002172   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.