Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

By on February 29, 2012 4:34:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums External Link

Savyg

Join Date 09/2004
+12

Who's excited?  I'm excited.

I love the idea of the Metro UI to remove distractions and make computers more efficient (suspended apps will be taken off the CPU scheduler and most likely the video resources will only be in virtual mem).  It was a little awkward on the Dev Preview but that isn't what the CP will look like anyway.

Storage spaces is probably my favorite feature they've talked about so far.  I'm not sure I want to ditch my Win7 install yet though, but it probably won't take long using 8CP before I do.

I do wish ReFS was in the client builds, but it doesn't sound like it will be.  (At least in the final OS...don't know about the CP.)

I definately like the plugin free browser idea too.  Most of the time you browse they're unnecessary anyway.

Otherwise it's mostly just more efficient, and I can't argue with that!

196 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 6, 2012 11:47:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
I just booted from disc because I was worried that there wouldn't be an install to another partition option and was afraid of losing my Win 7 installation if if I tried to install from within it. So yeah, if there is a safe way to instan Win 8 from within Win 7, please advise so that I can proceed that way instead.

If you'll follow my instructions, exactly, you should get the same results.

I did not download the Setup EXE tho. I downloaded the ISO from the download site.

March 6, 2012 11:50:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you are looking for something during the install that mentions dual booting, that isn't gonna happen.

Installing to another partition IS dual booting. But the install never mentions the words "dual boot".

March 7, 2012 12:56:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
My experience is as follows. Somewhat loosely, because it was so easy, I don't remember step by step.

I downloaded the iSO, burned it as a disk image. Boot from it.

Okay, so we performed the same installation procedure

Quoting RedneckDude,
You misunderstood me. You get the screen with OS options when booting into it, not out of it. Only if you are dual booted.

Right, so this is where I'm having the issue.  If the disc is removed I cannot boot back into Win 8... only 7.  If I leave the disc in it goes straight to Win 8, with no OS option.  Now I read this article, which suggests that after the installation and one or two reboots, a screen to "change defaults or choose other options appears, from which you select the default OS, etc. Well that's the way I understand it... and the installation is then completed once that's done. 

Obviously, if I cannot reboot to Win 8 without the disc on board, I'm not going to see the option you describe... nor if I leave the disc in and the PC boots straight to Win 8 without the Win 7 option.  Now the thing is, in the article linked to above, it says that the default OS can be selected in msconfig/boot options, but I can't do that from within Win 8, either.... there is no entry for Win 7 to select.  There is a Win 8 entry in msconfig in Win 7, and I can select Win 7 as the default, but then I come back to the issue of Win 8 not booting without the disc on-board.

Well it's got me beat.  I'm installing 8 the same way as I installed Vista and 7, booting from disc, yet the result is different and it's like Win 8 doesn't register correctly in the MBR or something.  Hopefully yrag is reading this and can provide an answer as to what's going wrong.  Knowing my luck, I'll have downloaded it just to find out Win 8 isn't compatible with my BIOS/mobo.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet, because I'm curious to see how functional Win8 would be with Winstep and Start8 installed, so here's hoping it'll be resolvable, and soon... cos yer knows wot curiosity dun to tha cat, right?

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 7, 2012 5:02:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I had a problem with the installation too. Everything went fine until the last reboot. The option to choose which OS to run came up and vanished in less than two seconds, no joke, it didn't stay up long enough for me to select. So it boots into Win8 and gets as far as configuring the devices then the screen goes black. I thought that was normal but it stayed that way for several minutes. I did a restart and the same thing happened. Tried to boot from the USB drive and all that wanted to do was install Win8 again. Couldn't get to either OS and when I rebooted a fourth time I went into the boot menu and Win8 wasn't even there, I mean the partition I made for it was gone. C: was still there and I booted into that and that's where Win 8 was. It wiped out my drive. Backups are a good thing you know so I didn't lose anything. It was just a big pain in the ass. I still have Win8 on the USB plus the Start8 app specially made for it. Question. Do I give it another go or chalk it up to Kismet and ditch 'em?

March 7, 2012 5:32:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Sooo, maybe me getting off track today and not installing Win8 might have been a welcome turn of events. the errors you guys are having, Uvah and Starkers, for what all three of us wanted to do, just have a sneak peak at 8, doesn't seem to be worth the bother.

Uvah, especially you, it wiped your drive!

Glad to hear you had it backed up!

Up to you if you try again, you may as well though, if you haven't reinstalled your win7. If it's wiped you, then may as well make the most of it and go for it. Perhaps since your wiped, don't dual boot. install 8, mess with it a little, then do your back up. should be an easier process.

I'll be watching to see how both you guys get on. Best of luck with it!

March 7, 2012 5:38:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Already have Win7 back. Needed to because I have skins to do. Not even gonna try that Win8. Maybe I'll give it another shot later but for now....work to do.

March 7, 2012 5:54:04 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

March 7, 2012 8:28:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well I have made some progress, though things aren't 100% as yet.  I'm getting the dual boot screen in Win 8 now, and Win 7 appears in the boot section of msconfig, but it still won't boot without the disc on board.  Now the offending file, Winload.exe, is where it is supposed to be, despite the error message saying it isn't.  The error, however, has changed to 0xc0000428 from 0xc000000f, whatever that means.

Anyhow, there's not a lot more I can do now.  I did a bit of research and unsuccessfully tried a few suggested remedies, so I'm at a loss until yrag or somebody more knowledgeable than I comes along.

Hah, and there I was, not interested in Win 8 and with no intentions whatsoever of installing it.  Yeah, right!  I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours trying to get it working properly... bah, what a bloody idiot.

March 7, 2012 9:09:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Virtual Box...

Win 8 install took 20 minutes to be up and running...a few more to make sure the guest and host knew each other...and dl and install SD's "start" button .....

Am dragging it screaming and kicking towards being a sensible OS ....

March 7, 2012 11:58:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I really don't get why people still mess with their real hardware with free virtualization tools arround.

March 7, 2012 12:11:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm giving it another shot. If it doesn't work this time Win 8 is toast.

March 7, 2012 12:42:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
I'm giving it another shot. If it doesn't work this time Win 8 is toast.

March 7, 2012 12:50:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I can imagine what that image is.

March 7, 2012 12:55:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Funny...Wiz can't see it either. 

March 7, 2012 2:38:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I see Worf just fine. 

March 7, 2012 5:43:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting c242,
I really don't get why people still mess with their real hardware with free virtualization tools arround.

How do you use these tools ? Yes, i know they exist, but there is no help on how to use them ? They are very technical and to myself are not very easy to understand.

March 7, 2012 5:47:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Ah fixt iut! 

March 7, 2012 6:04:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 8 has been nuked!

March 7, 2012 11:02:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Windows 8 has been nuked!

If only i could hear those words from Microsoft!!!

March 8, 2012 12:20:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting GigaByte69,
How do you use these tools ? Yes, i know they exist, but there is no help on how to use them ? They are very technical and to myself are not very easy to understand.

Virtual Box is pretty much self explaining. And don't want to sound harsh but: If Virtual Box is 'too technical', one should really avoid installing betas of operating systems.

March 8, 2012 1:51:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting c242,
And don't want to sound harsh but: If Virtual Box is 'too technical', one should really avoid installing betas of operating systems.

Probably good advice.... although a virtual install is certainly less 'precarious' than perhaps dual-booting or even worse... replacing a functional OS with a trial/buggy/beta ...

March 8, 2012 2:16:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

okay all i did was repartition my C drive (was 1tb) made a 250 gb partition, then proceeded to to do a clean boot and installed Win 8 CP from burned ISO dvd.  All worked great. i have dual boot to either win 7 pro or win 8 cp.  All is good.

March 8, 2012 4:51:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I created a mirror image of C: before trying to install W8. Now all I got to do is figure out how to restore it. Googled it but no luck and Windows help is no help.

March 8, 2012 6:53:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
I created a mirror image of C: before trying to install W8. Now all I got to do is figure out how to restore it. Googled it but no luck and Windows help is no help.

You replaced your 'functioning' OS with the beta of 8?

Along with the sign re stepping off a cliff that says "Don't" ....there SHOULD be one for what you did.....

March 8, 2012 7:05:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

NO! I'm not that stupid. I want to restore the system image to recover all my graphics! Installing Win8 on a separate partition didn't work. I made the system image 'before' doing that. I still have Win7, just not my graphics. If I can't restore them I'll have to ask/beg for replacements. Give me some credit at least.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.