Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 14, 2012 8:44:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If she wa....      hey....  

February 14, 2012 9:33:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Be helpful in the forums, be courteous, be awesome!

February 14, 2012 9:44:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

....or be like yrag....

....and get karma just because.....

...he SCARES you ....

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 15, 2012 7:23:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I blame the Redneck for taking this resolved Support thread off-topic.

*and he makes his own bootleg karma, too.

February 15, 2012 7:35:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
*and he makes his own bootleg karma, too.

Making it isn't the problem, Wiz. His drinking it is.

February 15, 2012 7:58:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glub ... glub ... glub ... hic   

February 16, 2012 2:14:51 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

YAY, I got two karma. I guess that pays back what I thought I gave a week ago. It does work to click the little hand that says something like "give karma" even when you don't have any?

February 16, 2012 6:42:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
It does work to click the little hand that says something like "give karma" even when you don't have any?

Yes...you are adding to 'them' not taking from 'yours'....

February 21, 2012 9:51:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

Yes...you are adding to 'them' not taking from 'yours'....

[DELAYED RESPONSE]

Then I'll have to do it more often!

I'm back again, sort of. Long nasty story about my main laptop quitting. Today I'm trying to decide if I'm going to drop the drive into an enclosure and see if I can find a few things I didn't back up or just see if I can find a program to deep format it and start over (or maybe regular format and start over). Long list, but it includes MS Office template files and macros and styles and such. Some non-standard fonts. My downloaded Wincustomize things that I can't seem to find again on the site. I got all my documents, email, and photos (well, I think I missed a day of email)

I decided that I really, really hate Win 8. Besides the Stardock stuff either not running or running with its framework messed up (IconPackager is almost useless and I miss WindowBlinds) I can't find anything. I got a registry tweak that sets the interface to Win 7 style, but then the MS message at the lower part of the screen gets big and nasty and tells you what they will do if you don't play their way. I'm learning the d*** interface and it is beginning to make sense - but it is still totally useless. (IMHO) So I'm trying to decide if I want to just put up with it while I resurect the other or give in and switch back. I just remembered the two gigs of CG software I downloaded that didn't make the backup. Now I remember that I skipped the downloads folder that last backup because it would take so long... So that is why I am missing some skins (and all the ones I was working on were not with regular documents) Sigh, I better stop thinking about it. Keep it backed up folks, if you do it at the last minute you will forget too much.

Much of my old favorite and much used software will run on anything, so I still have that. There is at least one software that I have no clue where the registration number is. Oh the joy of buying online. At least all my OS have crystals and I know where they are. Never store anything where you think you'll "know" it will be. I wish this site had a download history listing, I swear some of those skins are not around any more.

February 21, 2012 2:00:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows 8 is still very young.  They're going to be putting out another preview version which you may like a little better.  And right now, we haven't updated anything to work with Win8 yet, because it's still not finalized.  Once Win8 is officially released, I'd imagine we would be able to update most of our software to work with it.  (no guarantees, can't predict, blah blah blah)

February 21, 2012 7:30:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I seem to have a recurring problem that when I switch windows I loose the mouse. It's OK when I have to go to that lovely start screen (I always forget what it is called) then I switch to the other monitor and I'm back to normal (?)  Today I am trying to get an OCX to register that removing ThemeManager took out. Since it is a DX gadget that broke, I figure since it is DX it should still be there - and it is. Registering don't work, so I try reinstall. Reboot tells me that I left ObjectBar running. So, knowing its bad habit of not saving settings, I return to the desktop. No mouse, bah. ObjectBar greets me with "should I save" message. Works good, I got focus and pressed enter. Then all h*** breaks loose. Somehow I had poked the icons for about 4 other apps. They have all jumped up in my face and now switching focus won't even work. So, I'm forced to give them a one-finger salute as the three-finger one won't work. (as we said when I was teaching in the computer lab in college - give it a one finger salute, choice of which finger, yours)

So... did I mention that I hate Windows 8?

(OjectBar, btw, I use because the way Windows 8 wants to play there is no easy to find run command, no start bar, no menu system, and several other things you might be used to using in Win 7 (-) )

February 21, 2012 7:59:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Win 8 really shouldn't be on a mission-critical machine....in other words there should be nothing at all in the OS install that is valuable.

You MUST assume/expect system/program/file loss while it's in alpha/beta/pre Gold [RTM] ...

February 21, 2012 8:21:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yah, I was anxious to see if the backups had everything (they didn't - but had the important stuff) and I was still exploring Windows 8. I should probably just trash it for Vista but I wonder how much I'll loose off of this drive. Not much there anymore really, I pretty much zeroed it out when I upgraded to V64. I don't much care for the machine either, that is why it is "spare" to the other. My other other choice was XP Pro machine with pretty full 75 GB drive.

As for the things that drive me nuts with Win 8, MS has already declared they will NOT be bringing the Start Menu back. So I was tickled there was a registry switch. It spawns a fascinating wallpaper branding on the desktop if you use it, which goes away when you switch back. Dream installs take them both away   In all fairness, I've been running with the new interface active. Windows 8 will be great for business, industry, or scholastic use. Even opened up the security is so tight that you can't pick your nose without clicking that it is OK with the admin. So where desktop security is needed it will rock. I would prefer it to any of the lower versions for like a computer lab or multi workstation worksite. Some businesses I know have actually gone to Macs, both to use their Cloud system and for security.

February 21, 2012 8:57:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Win 8 really shouldn't be on a mission-critical machine....in other words there should be nothing at all in the OS install that is valuable.

You MUST assume/expect system/program/file loss while it's in alpha/beta/pre Gold [RTM] ...

Can't state that fact enough. 

February 22, 2012 1:52:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting LizMarr,
As for the things that drive me nuts with Win 8, MS has already declared they will NOT be bringing the Start Menu back.

I thought about this, and frankly, I use the start menu so rarely that I'm not sure how much I'll miss it.

February 22, 2012 2:01:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
Quoting LizMarr, reply 63As for the things that drive me nuts with Win 8, MS has already declared they will NOT be bringing the Start Menu back.

I thought about this, and frankly, I use the start menu so rarely that I'm not sure how much I'll miss it.

Which is precisely why they decided to dispense with it:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394101,00.asp

February 22, 2012 2:42:15 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I tap the Winodws key and start typing to open what I want or search for things.  Why use a menu?

February 22, 2012 3:00:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I tap the Winodws key and start typing to open what I want or search for things.  Why use a menu?

I actually no longer use the start menu for this, I have Launchy, which has additional fun features.

February 22, 2012 3:26:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
I tap the Winodws key and start typing to open what I want or search for things.

I'll bet that takes a while:

Quoting Zubaz,
Winodws

February 22, 2012 4:02:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Yuor saerch has yeilded 0 resulst"  

February 22, 2012 4:09:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[e digicons]:'([/e]

February 22, 2012 4:38:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Serach not fuond

February 22, 2012 9:13:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,

A few years ago I saw my brother in-laws' machine....[he's an IT Pro - looking after one of the major banks]...and his screen was all kinda 'funny'.....mostly black...with some text on it...

I said "what on earth are you running?"

He said "2003 Server" [or something like that]

I said "where's all the windows and such?"

He said..."I never use the GUI...do everything from cmd".

[at least I once saw him using one of my Winamp skins..... long time ago, tho]....

February 24, 2012 1:35:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I used to know CMD. I was second on a LAN for a paper mill. I used to know how to shell too. Now I don't even remember shell and the guy who hosts my Internet resellers account often tells me, "why don't you jump on the shell and do it yourself". 

One day I found how to get to the shell prompt on CPanel. I still don't remember what to do with it. Apache, the Windows of the real world.

February 24, 2012 8:09:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I miss DOS Shell...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.