I used to live on this forum...

By on January 12, 2012 9:54:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

vStyler

Join Date 11/2004
+891

This place used to be a home, a comfortable place, a place where most folks came to show their skins, get advice, teach, be taught, gaze with wonder, has a bit of a laugh some times, I literally never closed it.. and if I did I was back a few minutes later.....

Now.. I'm lucky if i check it twice a week.

We all know why... and I know its been said before.. and answered.. I just wanted to express my disappointment with the current state of the forum here.

Feel like I lost an old friend... Anyway.. I shall still do my thing, with my skins, but short of that I dont even recognize the place anymore.

This is just ridiculous...to me at least.

85 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 13, 2012 6:17:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think what most are saying is that there are too many game threads and not enough pertaining to skinning. Granted cross posting offers exposure to those on other forums but ..... those are game forums, this is the WC forum and is or rather should be dedicated to skinning stuff. Game threads are fine, in their place, occasionally here, but IMO admins could reduce them by eliminating duplicates, The Ban Thread for one. Get rid of the old one, keep the new one and discourage games that repeat what is already going but under another name, i.e. Ink Blotch = Word Association. one or the other.

January 13, 2012 6:21:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You are all on drugs...nothing has changed...everything stays the same...this is all a figment of your imagination...and I wasn't here.

January 13, 2012 6:31:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yes you wuz WG ... I seed you. Now lets go run and hide somep'ace. lol

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 13, 2012 7:14:06 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
All skinning, all the tim: http://forums.wincustomize.com/forum/19

There is even an rss feed.

As I have stated before and had my post deleted, I agree with John. It actually makes me sick at times to even look at these forums sometimes. Thanks for the great link Zubaz!

Sure would like that RSS link!

January 13, 2012 7:21:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
Tutorials. I desperately want to do a blind. I think the only way I can do it is have someone go through it with me step-by-freaking-step. If someone (ahem) would be willing to do a thread with me, I'd be game. Tell me what part to do, guide me through it, show me where I am screwing it up, and then on to the next part. One step at a time. When we were doing the Troll Thumping Skins, I learned more about the the little stuff it takes to make a blind complete from Avman and other skinners than I did from screwing around with SKinstudio or reading someones tutorial.

I would like to take you up on that. Kinda like IR did some years ago. PM me and we'll sort out the details.

Thread title:

I own skinstudio's ass and it won't get the best of me!

January 13, 2012 8:12:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
Okay. Just to mix shit up.

I feel the same way V does but I have given this some thought (cause I have that kind of time these days).

Some of the stuff in the WC forums has just gotten stale. If I weren't so afraid we'd have 20 more 'Your Banned' threads pop up in their place, I'd say let's clean house and remove them all and start over. But there is no realistic way to control the threads that would pop-up to replace them.

When I first came here there were some really good threads, like Icon-A-Day. The Rare Icon thread. And some others. There were more tutorials for DX.

Instead of getting down about the threads that exist and starting yet another thread (nothing personal) about it, how about some more productive threads to swing things around? We have a WIP thread. What about a monthly WIP thread and break them into seperate threads  for Icons, DX, WIndowblinds, Docks..so folks can ask questions and look at the skinning areas they are into? You would have to have a new one each month. Keep them fresh. Just like the Screenshot threads.

Tutorials. I desperately want to do a blind. I think the only way I can do it is have someone go through it with me step-by-freaking-step. If someone (ahem) would be willing to do a thread with me, I'd be game. Tell me what part to do, guide me through it, show me where I am screwing it up, and then on to the next part. One step at a time. When we were doing the Troll Thumping Skins, I learned more about the the little stuff it takes to make a blind complete from Avman and other skinners than I did from screwing around with SKinstudio or reading someones tutorial.

I see a lot of requests for all kinds of stuff. How about a request thread? A new one each month. One request is taken and a bunch of skinners work on it together doing different parts of the blind, etc.

If there is something I can show someone how to do, I'd be happy to.

Just throwing this out there. Again, nothing personal. I feel the same way you do. But I think instead of complaining we could turn it around and put a better face on the whole situation. If we keep this up, we're gonna start looking like a community of whiners.

There's the end all answer.....if you really want something there's usually some work involved. The more skinning, customization and community specific threads we post the less people (here at least) will migrate to the game threads. Good one Po!

January 13, 2012 8:17:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All well and good if the posts are visited. Not to be complaining but  my SMX post is dying an ignoble death I think. If I didn't resurrect it it would have been buried.

January 13, 2012 8:21:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Sure would like that RSS link!

I have a tab on my reader for WC and this is what is there:

OS customizeation http://feeds.feedburner.com/Stardock/1/forum/19

Stardock support: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Stardock/1/forum/165

WC News: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Stardock/1/forum/153

Personal Computing: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Stardock/1/forum/1

Skinning: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Stardock/1/forum/434

WC Talk: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Stardock/1/forum/144

You can add any forum or sub-forum  you want to your feed reader using the image below:

January 13, 2012 8:38:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I for one would just like to know if there is some goal or desired end result to the forum mix. Just a SWAG on my part but it doesn't seem that this is going over well with most of the skinning community.

Quoting PoSmedley,
I desperately want to do a blind.

that astroboy startmenu would be a great place to start

January 13, 2012 8:57:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
that astroboy startmenu would be a great place to start
That WAS sweet.

The "Mock up a skin" series of posts was fun.  Maybe someone could pick a theme for a new one of those?

(http://forums.wincustomize.com/317499)

January 13, 2012 9:19:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There was one awhile ago. It was called Curried Cabbage. Never got very far I'm afraid.

January 13, 2012 10:32:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
There was one awhile ago. It was called Curried Cabbage. Never got very far I'm afraid

damm, I was hoping with all of the good work that went into it, we might be able to down load it. after all the talk about curried cabbage maybe next time

January 13, 2012 10:54:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I used to live on this forum...

You still do. 

Curried Cabbage is a great place to start imho... damned beautiful graphics!

Then there's this one:

January 13, 2012 10:59:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Then there's this one:

That's actually very nice.   on wanting to see it finished.

January 13, 2012 11:03:49 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Never got very far I'm afraid.

Still have it. And Astroboy. And an assload.  I get stuck. I get stuck, then I get frustrated and mad and don't want to look at it and then I start another one and it begins again. There is no order to it in my head. Iconpacks I can break down and seperate. But when I start an iconpack, my head starts thinking of a blind to go with it and I'm back to staring at a blind and getting frustrated.

A lot of folks have tried to help me. But folks have their own things to work on and their own lives and I am just fucking weird when it comes to asking or pushing. (I think I may not be the only one, too.) Right now, I have nothing but time. I've been housebound since October and going nutz. yadda yadda.

My suggestion is to simply TAKE BACK the forums. Stop whining and stop waiting for admins and mods to do what doesn't really need to be done. If the majority of the posts are NOT about skinning that's because the majority of the posts are not about skinning. You can't make someone post about something they don't give two farts about. Paid subs, how long you've been here,  and everything else aside..the majority is going to win this one. SO take it back. I cut my teeath on that Rare Icon thread when I first came here.and learned a lot. There are a lot of new skinners around here. Use them to take the forums back instead of letting them see a bunch of whiny veterans. It makes us, the site, and skinning look bad.

While I am writing and have anyone's attention, I would also like to take a second to apologize to everyone who has tried to help me with skinning and anyone who has waited for me to finish one of those stupid skins. My frustration aside, I have been kind of going down hill the past few months and holding a very private little pity party. Right now, there is no end in sight and I'm in some pain. But I do give a shit and I haven't forgotten. I save every damn thing hoping I'll get a break, have a breakthrough, or something hopeful so I can go back to it. From blinds, icons, DXThemes, Widgets, etc.

January 13, 2012 11:26:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
Still have it. And Astroboy. And an assload.  I get stuck. I get stuck, then I get frustrated and mad and don't want to look at it and then I start another one and it begins again. There is no order to it in my head. Iconpacks I can break down and seperate. But when I start an iconpack, my head starts thinking of a blind to go with it and I'm back to staring at a blind and getting frustrated.

This is called "Work flow".

Any one of the Masters should be able to give you his/her work flow. From there, it's "How to uses sks" and mechanics (I think - don't really know)... You have so many skinners who want to help you, and your graphics are stunning.

First get the work flow and put that check list up by your computer.

I think.

January 13, 2012 11:32:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bunk  

January 13, 2012 11:36:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Want to get something going. We got Masters, Journeymen, Apprentices ......... lets all get on the bandwagon and give Po The Smedley the help, inspiration and or whatever he needs to to see his beautiful graphics come to life. What say you boys and girls. I'm in it for whatever I can do. 

January 13, 2012 11:44:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
"Work flow".

Have not been able to figure that out for the blinds, as I said. No more than I could come up with the work flow to build a web site or a rocketship.

I don't want to make all of this about my OCD. My main point is that we should be trying to take back the forums ourselves instead of filling them up with negative stuff. I'm starting to understand what some people mean when they say they are on the ignore list. Eleven replies before one to my post at #19 and I don't personally think my ideas were that out there or unreasonable. Compared to requests (and I think I even made one or two when all this crap started) to recode the site and split this up and have the admins shut the threads down. I think the big difference is my ideas involved us having to do the work.

Post#19. I don't want to write all that shit over again. Post #19.

I don't see anyone else coming up with anything that doesn't involve rehashing what the admins need to do or asking in a different way 'Why is this happening' (and if you have and I missed it, I apologize) . If you want the powers that be to do something I would suggest a new mod or admin to incorporate and coordinate my ideas or any ideas and oversee them (nothing at all against any of the current mods or admins, I am just assuming they have enough on their plates as it is). They wouldn't be a moderator as much as an activity coordinator. Someone has to lead or it will fall apart just like all the OCCUPY crap did.

January 13, 2012 11:49:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Em.....

Did you see my offer in reply #30, Po?

January 13, 2012 11:58:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,
Did you see my offer in reply #30, Po?

Yes.

I'll PM you. I just got up (very rough night). Typing all this stuff, I just knocked over a full cup of coffee across my desk and keyboard.

January 13, 2012 12:09:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
I just knocked over a full cup of coffee across my desk and keyboard.

That's caffeine abuse! Dammit, Po. now you've gone too far!

I fear not as now I'm not just on "The List", I'm in "The Book"

January 13, 2012 12:35:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Happy Birthday, John..........

January 13, 2012 12:52:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

First, Happy Birthday.

Secondly, i hate those "games" posts, dang how I hate them!

January 13, 2012 1:09:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is a birthday thread over here --------------------->   http://forums.wincustomize.com/415104 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.