Wise Registry Cleaner (free) - Might kill CCleaner for me

By on January 9, 2012 9:29:07 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2155

This one just might take over from CCleaner on my machine. Why?

Preston Gralla (PCWorld):

“This freebie does a neat job of cleaning out the Registry junk. It scans the Registry, flagging orphaned or bad Registry entries, and shows you the name and values for each. It identifies Registry entries that may be dangerous to delete, and those that are safe to delete, so you can distinguish between the two. It also lets you decide which entries to delete, and which to keep. For safety's sake, it can also back up your Registry before a scan, so that you can restore it, if the program causes any problems.”

--Preston Gralla (https://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,65607-order,4/description.html)

He didn’t mention (or it’s a new feature) that double clicking on a link will open it for editing or deleting.

Current version:

File Size:
2.20 MB

Release Date:
Jan 05, 2012

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows 7 (32bit, 64bit), Windows Vista (32bit, 64bit),
Windows 2008 Server, Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit), Windows 2000,
Windows 2003, Windows NT/Me/98

Sources:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-free-windows-registry-cleaners-to-keep-your-system-running-smoothly/1236?tag=nl.e101

http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html  - Has download link on this page.

52 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 9, 2012 10:27:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I are lookin' into it.

January 9, 2012 11:39:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I know this is a bit of a noob question, but what (if any) is the benefit of cleaning up the registry? (Besides having it 'cleaner' obviously)

January 9, 2012 12:10:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmm... this appears to be only for the registry..... Ccleaner does SO MUCH more....... don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 9, 2012 12:26:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's for a good deal more than just the registry, Bry. Take a look at the Tech reference in the OP. I tried to get as much as I could in the screenies. Don't know if I succeeded... I love the fact that Wise does backups before you even get started.

I also ran CCleaner to compare with Wise, and CCleaner missed a huge amount of dead weight in my registry. I rebooted, and no problems encountered and the 'puter was noticeably faster.

*sigh. If only that was "13.86 lbs. lost".

January 9, 2012 1:32:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
I know this is a bit of a noob question, but what (if any) is the benefit of cleaning up the registry? (Besides having it 'cleaner' obviously)

A cleaner registry makes for a faster computer.

Faster, less glitchy, and just plain cleaner.

January 9, 2012 2:12:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

marking

January 9, 2012 2:17:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Quoting Satrhan,
reply 2

A cleaner registry makes for a faster computer.

Faster, less glitchy, and just plain cleaner.

Correct... sorry, I was caught up with the screenies and writing a CES article, Satrhan. Also reduces 'freezes' and crashes.

January 9, 2012 2:55:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've used CCleaner on your recommendation Doc, but wow, Wise got in there and cleared out stuff and optimized my laptop and I have to admit, it's picked up some speed for this 3 year old....

Quoting DrJBHL,
*sigh. If only that was "13.86 lbs. lost".

January 9, 2012 3:18:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You're welcome. Yeah, it's the McDaddy of 'em. CCleaner is very safe, but Wise - wow... 'sock it to 'em' regcleaner and optimizer.... but does more, too.

January 9, 2012 5:49:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On installation it asks you if you want to download the disk cleaner so I did. It too is a freebie. Recovered 1.1 gb of space on the HD after it was cleaned. Did the registry clean up and optimization and when all was said and done did the reboot and it broke Nexus. The program freezes and is slow to respond. The dock is finally working but not the shelf. Gonna try a second reboot and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Second reboot did it. Everything working fine.

January 9, 2012 5:55:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Mine's working AOK, Uvah. Take a look at your Task MAnager and see what's eating up RAM. However, I did not discuss Disk Manager.... and didn't install it.

Do you have a restore point before the Disk Manager did its thing?

January 9, 2012 5:56:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It also says "free download"...didn't see anything about it being free. Usually "free download" means only that...and everything is a free download.

But wait! There's more! If you act right now...we'll let you download it twice for free! Just pay shipping and handling.

Edit...ok...it is free.

January 9, 2012 6:04:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I learned my lesson with these reg cleaners when I had System Mechanic installed. These things can totally frak your PC. I prefer to stick with CCleaner. The 'free to download' ones scare me. You run it, it cleans some stuff, then tells you that there are 435 more errors it can clean if you buy the paid version. This one reminds me of Advance System Care  or Glary Utilities. I don't know enough about the registry and all to go messing with the heavy hitting cleaners. As Harry Callahan once said "A man's gotta know his limitations."

January 9, 2012 6:56:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Po' - this one cleans, and doesn't pull that crap. I installed and used it before recommending it.

Wouldn't recommend it otherwise, and if I put it up without installing, I make careful note to say that.

January 9, 2012 7:03:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tried it first on my Laptop running Win 7 home premium 64bit. Did a complete registry back up as well as system restore point. Ran the program, fixed all the problems that it said was safe to fix, applied the recommended optimizations and rebooted. Computer would not restart, just hangs at the starting windows screen. Multiple reboots give the exact same result. Booted into safe mode and restored the registry and the computer proceeds to start normally. Uninstalled immediately. This is why i keep my old laptop going, to test software like this. I cannot recommend this application purely on the results i got.

January 9, 2012 7:40:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hmmmmmmmmmm Nimbin scares me.......... My last PC died from too much stuff ... I can wait -- if it aint broke etc

January 9, 2012 7:42:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
I installed and used it before recommending it.

I used System Mechanic for months...and then it got me. How long did you test this?

Not trying to knock you...it's just that the registry is one area you don't want to muck up. Everyone's system is different with different drivers for each brand, chipset, etc. Some of these cleaners can delete that one file that you won't even know about because the effects happen slowly or in some cases on the next reboot.

This one may completely harmless. I was talking from experience with one that supposedly had good reviews and all. When my PC fragged, the IT guy who looked at it said he could tell I had been using something 'harsh' to clean the reg and all.

Some of these company's know they are making their product sound so wonderful and up to date and etc., by listing all the crap it can clean/do and there are folks who think they have to or need to clean all that stuff even when they don't know what the hell it is or does. Then they hire companies to promote their product and those companies will pay bloggers to promote it (Which Google recently had happen to them - Bloggers Were Paid To Write About Google Chrome) without even knowing what they are blogging about.

I had installed System Mechanic because a free version came on a disk from PC Magazine. No warnings. No 'be careful'. Just 'You WANT this. It's the best!" etc. etc. And it is still considered a good product but NOT for everyone.

Example :

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-cleaner.htm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-registry-cleaner.htm

One year apart and the above site lists CCleaner AND Wise Registry Cleaner as the BEST FREE FILE CLEANERS. One article by the site.editor one by a contributor. Who do you believe? I'm sure there are more like this. And each article lists alternatives at the end of the article. WHY? If these are the best and FREE then why list others? Why the hell would I want the lower rated free alternative to the higher rated BEST (according to the writer) when both are freaking free?!?!

January 9, 2012 7:51:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I still have system mechanic, and there are things i won't let it do.

I've been using it about 2 weeks. the screenies are from a scan I did today.

Not selling it. I don't make a cent. Don't know why Nimbin's problem happened...

@Nimbin - They do also have free tech support. I'd report it, and there might be a log or something they could review and tell you what happened and why... although at this point I wouldn't blame you if you didn't bother... it might help them refine the software more. Up to you, mate. Sorry for your probs, though.

Po'. Seriously, these aren't 'paid for' prizes, and Preston Gralla has a fantastic rep. So... System Mechanic, and all the others have limitations. No one has perect software...

January 9, 2012 8:00:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
and Preston Gralla has a fantastic rep.

In his 10 Must-Have Free Downloads he lists CCleaner. I don't see Wise Cleaner even mentioned.

This is the kind of confusion I am talking about.

January 9, 2012 8:10:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

/still pining for some kind of 'watch this thread' function on the boards/

January 9, 2012 9:50:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would avoid System Mechanic, I've had nothing but problems with that program.

Wise does let you set a restore point before changing the registry, something you should do anyway.

I use the paid version Auslogics BoostSpeed to do this sort of work. So when I tried out Wise, I was surprised that not only it found a lot of errors that BoostSpeed didn't find, it also gave me a noticeable speed in the loading of my system. Had a WTF moment ...

Only have around 30days left on my subscription for BoostSpeed ... won't be renewing it

January 9, 2012 10:06:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PoSmedley,
Who do you believe?

My eyes, after seeing the results on my system.

In G-d we trust. All others must show me.

January 9, 2012 10:38:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
My eyes, after seeing the results on my system.

His review is three years old and they haven't written a word about it since (according to their search engine his review is the only thing they have posted on it in three years) and I find that odd in itself. They have had four articles on CCleaner in the past year, from the portable version to enhancing to a review last AUgust (2 of which are by Gralla) not to mention his list have 10 must have downloads.

I notice you can't select which drive you want to scan (that I can find). When you have dual boot/multiple drives, external drives...it scans them all. For the novice, like me, how do I know the stuff on my Vista drive it wants to delete even though I ran it from Windows 7 is safe to delete and won't screw up Vista? Why does it want to delete (safely it says) anything at all from my external drive? For the completely uninformed, there is no mention of this in their help guide and that person may just click fix for everything. A lengthier review of the product and a better description by Mr. Gralla may stop the uninformed from believing they have just found the wonder cleaner that can do it all on it's own.

"It identifies Registry entries that may be dangerous to delete, and those that are safe to delete, so you can distinguish between the two. It also lets you decide which entries to delete, and which to keep"

and then he adds

"For safety's sake, it can also back up your Registry before a scan, so that you can restore it, if the program causes any problems."

It should read 'we strongly and always recommend' backing up your registry when running software that is scanning it for files to delete and don't go picking files to delete unless you know what you're doing because that restore point can be deleted or cut off from you as easily as anything else.

His review seems lacking compared to other, more in depth articles and reviews. It's almost kind of a 'do this as favor to get them off my back' kinda review compared to his other articles (to speculate any further would be slanderous). That's just MHO.

Like I said, it may be harmless. It may run forever just fine on your PC or any. But it is a STRONG piece of software, akin to System Mechanic, and for someone who doesn't know what they are doing (like me 8 years ago with system mech) it can screw up your PC. He makes no note of that in his review.

January 9, 2012 10:41:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is always a risk with a registry cleaner.  In the old days it was a big risk--nowadays it's much better.

The real risk is something new or uncommon is on your machine that the particular reg cleaner hasn't been prepared to properly handle.  It's like the equivalent of a false positive with your antivirus.

With laptops, I feel the trisk is greater because each manufacturer has proprietary and sometimes one-of kinds of drivers and the like that can be misidentified.

It's a risk--best to know a little bit about your registry yourself before using one.  Odds are you'll be ok but it's no guarantee.

January 9, 2012 10:51:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
It's a risk--best to know a little bit about your registry yourself before using one. Odds are you'll be ok but it's no guarantee.

Right.

And in my experience...my personal experience...system restore couldn't fix my registry when it got fragged. I ended up having to reinstall Windows. IMHO Gralla's review is very misleading and I believe he chose his words very carefully to convey a feeling that this product was harmless and any ill effects were easily reversible.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.