Can't get to work "aero peek" on OD Plus 2.1

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bits, 32 bits color, 4 Gb RAM

By on December 16, 2011 6:08:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ing_julio_g...

Join Date 11/2010

Please, anyone, I need help on getting to work Object Desktop's "aero peek" (plus 2.1).

I do check the "Enable Aero Peek on running task" chekbox on "Settings".

I expect the same "effect" the Windows 7 toolbar already has, the small preview window showing the application instances and running state.

I'm a registered user and bought many stardock products (not games)

Thanks very much in advance, I'll be expecting your answers!

Regards, Julio.-

37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 17, 2011 4:13:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I assume you have something selected under Show Running Applications on my Dock. This adds a running tasks box for each open window/minimized window.maximized window (whichever you have selected). Aero Peek option will not work with those.

If you add a program icon for say FireFox to the Quick Launch Object Dock and then open a FireFox window, you can hover the cursor over the program icon for FireFox on the main part of the dock and get the aero peek preview box. 

December 17, 2011 4:30:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you very much for your answer DevenDmer, that's exactly what I've done, but the "aero peek preview" does not show

The pointer of my mouse turns into "Win 7 circle" when I hover it over a program icon (Explorer, Chrome, Outlook, etc.) which has a corresponding windows executing... but as I said before, the aero peek preview does not show ...

I'm considering moving to WinStep Xtreme ...

I hope you guys could help me ... Thanks again! I'll be waiting for a solution and keep testing things...

December 25, 2011 11:25:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm having the same issue with Object Dock 2. I similarly get only the Windows 7 circle cursor for a second--then nothing happens. Also trying lots of different settings combinations trying to figure this out.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 25, 2011 7:16:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you very much for your support, I'm still looking for solutions, nothing have worked yet!

Regards,

Julio

December 25, 2011 7:44:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have a seperate zoomer dock set up to do this.  Set up a new dock and then click 'On my dock' and then select 'Show running applications on my dock' under More Options.  Then select 'Show running applications'

Click this link and then click on the screenshot to zoom in and you will see the dock.  http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/suites/828/  Is this what you are trying to do?

Hope this helps. 

December 25, 2011 10:53:36 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes, that in the first screenshot is what I'm (we're) going for. Unfortunately, using those settings does not produce that result (even with "Enable Aero Peek on running tasks" checked in the application settings tab).

Thanks for your help!

December 25, 2011 11:18:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What version of ObjectDock v2.0 are you running, free or paid? 

From looking at the features it doesn't look like the free has the option/function, I could be wrong.

Have you tried uninstalling, running a clean up program, rebooting and then reinstalling?  Could be you got a bad download.

December 25, 2011 11:53:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm running the paid version: v 2.01.743. Windows 7 x64. I have a Lenovo laptop still with a lot of the pre-installed Lenovo utilities junk... which has been known to interfere with other programs in the past--though I would be quite surprised if that has anything to do with the issue in this case. However, it would be interesting to know if Julio is also running a Lenovo.

Everything else seems to be working perfectly. I suppose I will try a reinstall tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Edit: fixed version typo.

December 26, 2011 11:31:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

l0remipsum you bring up a very valid point about the possibilities of some pre-installed software by Lenovo being the problem.  I believe I have seen this mentioned about Acer laptops also.  If you haven't yet I would suggest sending an email to support@stardock.com and give a link to this thread.  Keep in mind that they are off until after the first of the year and it will take a little time to clear up the email backlog.  If they are aware of a problem they will be sure to let you know.

In the mean time maybe a fellow Lenovo user will see this and comment. 

December 26, 2011 12:43:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What's up with the latest batch of laptops causing so many problems to 3rd party software?

It probably does not apply to this, but just in case it might: with Winstep apps I recently started having sporadic reports of problems such as the list of running applications not updating in the Nexus dock, the Update Manager and Weather module failing to connect, etc...

After a while I was able to determine that the common denominator to all the users having problems were laptops with Intel/nVidia combo cards. Disabling the Intel card seemed to fix the issue, but this, of course, was in no way ideal.

After some more research I finally figured out what the problem was: for some unknown reason (perhaps a driver issue), an unknown 3rd party DLL signaled an error when sub-classing windows (although the call itself succeeded). This, in case of the Winstep apps, caused the sub-classing operation to abort, which meant no window notifications were ever received and thus causing all the apparently unrelated problems.

For a developer, the worst part in this is that even though this is a bug in a 3rd party component somewhere, it is our application that gets affected and/or crashes - so guess who gets the blame?

December 26, 2011 1:25:26 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm sure that's unfortunate and difficult to deal with as a developer.  I bring this up because I had trouble with the Windows Search service automatically quitting for no apparent reason. It turns out that it was the fault of a bug in Lenovo's RapidBoot service! Imagine that...

To be fair, however, it was just a suggestion that some Lenovo software was interfering... to me it still seems highly unlikely in this particular case. I also doubt that it it a video card / driver issue, since everything else works well, including the thumbnail previews of running application windows. Also, I have tried running on both my nVidia card and my Intel card with no difference.

Pretty confusing, it would be cool if another Lenovo user would comment, just in case. I'm planning on sending in a support request before the 1st--maybe Stardock can help clear it up a bit.

Thanks for your help guys!

December 26, 2011 2:43:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting l0remipsum,
I'm planning on sending in a support request before the 1st--maybe Stardock can help clear it up a bit.
We won't be back officially until the 2nd and we'll be in back-log mode for a bit.  Get your ticket in now for future win.

December 26, 2011 3:16:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
We won't be back officially until the 2nd and we'll be in back-log mode for a bit.  Get your ticket in now for future win.

Okay, 'tis done. Thanks!

December 27, 2011 5:26:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you all for your interest in this problem.

I'm using a DELL Latitude E5500 with 4 Gb RAM, Windows 7 SP1 64 Bits ("clean install").

The "aero peek" visual efect works well on the Windows stock status bar, and in WinStep (which I've installed instead of stardock 2.1 "paid version")

I'll keep working on this... I'll hope a solution appears soon enough... I'll keep you posted!

Thank you very much again! ... and happy new year everyone! 

December 30, 2011 7:58:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Where do I download the latest ObjectDock Plus v2.1.0.748 from? In My Downloads in the Stardock Store I can only see: Version: 2.01.0 [18.0 MB] available to me. Thanks.

December 30, 2011 8:30:49 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hello, that's the file version on the actual .exe. The "product version" is 2.01.743. I think that download is probably the latest version, but you can double check by looking at the properties of the Object Dock exe after you install.

December 30, 2011 8:48:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for answering me so quickly.

Ah yes, that was the one thing I neglected to do. I do indeed have version v2.01.743. It doesn't fix the problem I have with docks not staying in the background after being clicked, but I suppose this isn't the thread for that. Just trying to make sure I've got the latest version of ObjectDock so that I can rule everything else out.

Is it true that you really have v2.1.0.748 though, l0remipsum? That's even newer than the version I have, and it may or may not fix my problem.

December 30, 2011 10:37:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That was a typo on my part. 2.01.743 is what I have--sorry about that.

January 7, 2012 8:24:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tried to delete the post, did not find where... Sorry.

January 7, 2012 8:28:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have the same problem: no aero peek. Iwas very happy with the free edition, and bought it just for the Aero. Winstep is working... I guess I'll ask my money back.

January 9, 2012 9:11:51 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

We're trying to track this down now.  To confirm what we're thinking, is anyone having this problem that is running a 32-bit version of Windows?

January 9, 2012 10:17:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for checking this out. 64-bit for me.

January 16, 2012 10:09:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

There's a new build on the download page that should fix the issue:

https://store.stardock.com/myaccount/products

January 16, 2012 10:27:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This new version works perfectly. Thanks for the awesome support and quick resolution of the issue!

January 16, 2012 10:52:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting JcRabbit,
I finally figured out what the problem was: for some unknown reason (perhaps a driver issue),

Jorge, Intel drivers (especially x64) really suck. Try having the people roll back to an earlier driver build. That might, might, help if it's (as I suspect also) a driver issue.

Glad the new version is working.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001062   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.