I broke it! Wild Aero at loose.

By on December 8, 2011 10:29:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

LizMarr

Join Date 05/2006
+46

OK, somehow I broke it. I have all the places unchecked that I can find that say "Use Windows Aero style frames" or similar.  I've got windows with aero tops and no buttons, I got Foxfire so confused that it has aero in the middle and colored top - but not skinned. All I was doing was replacing fonts to make them easier to see (nudging them all up a bit) and had been doing so successfully over the past week.

This all started with a Windows Explorer crash. (first time ever and I've gotten several today) I have tried reloading the skin (alas my poor font changes)  After the third one I started ignoring them as when I "save and apple" it would be right again.  I've tried applying stills in WindowBlinds, Theme Manager, and Skin Studio.

Just what are the trouble shooting steps for this? (besides pull my hair out)

Anyone got a list of just which software I should remove because it is outdated and no longer used? The download page has ALL the software I have bought over three years, it doesn't say "no longer supported"

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 8, 2011 10:50:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uh oh

December 8, 2011 3:19:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've been playing with it, trying to figure out where it is broke. I've discovered that the Windows Explorer and such have the theme at the top and not Aero. The programs do not. I also cannot seem to convince my Windows desktop icons to have anything besides the default. I'm not sure that is a related thing or not.

December 8, 2011 3:30:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Might try restarting Aero - http://www.techerator.com/2011/05/how-to-restore-aero-effects-if-the-windows-desktop-window-manager-crashes/

Otherwise, posting a screenshot might be helpful.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 8, 2011 3:35:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try doing:

1. Run your Windows Experience Index.

If this does not straighten things out,

2. Start Menu> cmd > right click on the icon and 'run as administrator' > type in   sfc /scannow

Let it run. Should repair any corrupted system files.

Apply the default Aero Theme, if ok, try other blinds if ok, don't do the following. If not ok continue with:

3. Uninstall Windowblinds and clean registry (with CCleaner) and reboot.

Reinstall Windowblinds reboot.

Let us know if this solved the problem (for Windowblinds).

December 8, 2011 6:16:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I didn't know about the experience meter thing. It's on my list for next time I need a swag.  What I ended up doing was reinstall WindowBlinds over the top of the install that is there. I didn't even have the silly thing open at the time of the crashing unless SkinStudio shares some processes. It took a little tweaking to make FireFox conform, I run a couple addons to make it "prettier" and now the skin textures and colors are in place on that as well. I think I will restart the session manager and perhaps run the experience meter - they shouldn't hurt anything and may jolly well fix something that isn't apparent at this time. Thanks.

December 8, 2011 6:34:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, restarted session manager and ran the experience meter. Before and after the experience was 4.9 (6.0 6.0 4.9 6.2 5.9) Guess nothing has messed with that part. I can see where it might rebuild Aero 3D, I'll try to remember that for any "next times" down the road. Now so far the only esthetically irritating thing is the menu background for my text editor hasn't picked up the style. Perhaps whomever designed the software chose a different way of coloring it. I'm going to investigate the Windows appearance tab (you know, the one that you choose a color or font for everything Microsoft will let you) It's buried under colors in the Personalize window.

Edit: I checked there, the skin had it all covered. I never noticed before but there seems to be a lot less choices than in previous Windows. I'll have to check the XP machine. So, it's just some pre-programmed, non-skinable thing I guess. (program is called EditPad Lite if anyone wants to know)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000844   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.