WinCustomize Personal Pages

By on November 28, 2011 10:24:54 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Philly0381

Join Date 11/2004
+824

Has the capability to create a personal page gone away and/or no longer supported?  There used to be a link available so that you could go to a Personal Pages Index, is that still available or also no longer supported?

If this is the case is there any consideration or chance of these returning sometime in the future? 

39 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 28, 2011 11:01:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This has been discussed many times.  The personal pages have not been supported for a long time, and are only showing as a legacy item.

November 28, 2011 11:11:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My apologizes Island Dog, I guess I must of missed the discussions on the personal pages.   By your response there is no chance of them coming back.  I will move on. 

November 28, 2011 11:18:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Given the low cost of a sub, the growing size of the galleries and the no doubt rising costs of hosting the site,  something had to give.

And although this has been mentioned before as well, it would be nice though if our sites http://wizard1956.wincustomize.com/ would allow us to change the heading, titlebar or whatever it is called  and update our rank. Pretty Please?

@ Philly If you want "Personal" there's always Fakebook.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 28, 2011 11:21:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

People were not using them, so there was no use in keeping or updating them.

November 28, 2011 9:13:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

In my opinion that's a BS responce.

People were using them until the comment sections and the links to the pages were pulled.

November 28, 2011 9:34:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,

There really wasn't much to use. I think the forums kind of filled in for the personal pages as far as upcoming projects and stuff. Since I've gone this far, I may as well mention that for a site that specializes in customization, there wasn't a hell of a lot you could do with them either. Something as simple as being able to arrange the items would have been nice. As it is now, it's not much to throw a link out to on social networks and such that allow you to post your personal page or site. For me, Wincustomize has been more of home than any other skinning site. I always link to my page here as well as other skinning sites. I'm getting ready to dump my stuff at DA and wish that the personal page here had more to it since I this will be the only skinning site I will be linking to.

November 28, 2011 9:37:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The number of people using the pages,  as a percentage of users that were registered on the site,  was VERY low . . and paying for developers to support the pages was cost prohibitive.  When the last wave of abuse occurred (the guestbook fiasco) something did have to give.

I liked the pages . . . . but I'm not willing to pay what it would cost to keep them around and given a choice, I don't think most of the members would want to either (espcially if they didn't use them).

Want to see my real page?  http://forums.wincustomize.com/posts/150121 will do just fine. 

November 28, 2011 9:43:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

I was

Quoting CarGuy1,
until the comment sections and the links to the pages were pulled.

still am on some that was lucky to get one

you are talking about the mysite where you could See all of one's skin and in there own section aka Windowblinds, Wallpaper, Etc. (Not all mixed up)

November 28, 2011 9:58:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Personal pages were one of the perks you received back when and I for one used mine a lot, especially for links etc. I still use it, even with it's limited functionality. As others have stated, it is the only place where all of your works can be seen and sorted. It would be nice if we at least could be able to see all of a skinners work and not just the few that can be seen at the present.

November 28, 2011 10:44:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So that's what happened to them. I used to like that as a feature for users. It made it very easy to see the skins a particular user had created in each of the various categories (WB, Iconpackager, Cursor FX, etc). Especially useful when you consider that people tend to have particular users they like because of their skinning style.

November 28, 2011 11:54:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

@ Philly....

November 29, 2011 3:27:44 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Starcandy,
I used to like that as a feature for users. It made it very easy to see the skins a particular user had created in each of the various categories (WB, Iconpackager, Cursor FX, etc). Especially useful when you consider that people tend to have particular users they like because of their skinning style.

Ditto.

I don't mind the PP disappearance, I just wish the skins list page was a bit more functional. IE the ability to filter skin categories. Most authors don't have the skin type in their skin name (F.EX "mynewskin for windowblinds"), so it's a real chore to find all the WB's from a certain author. Especially when the gallery filters don't work like they should.

Test it out: go to the WB section and type a skin name in the search box. You get a search of ALL the galleries and you end up going through 15 pages of supporting skins and screenshots before finding the skin you are looking for. When is this gonna get fixed? It used to work on the "old" WC...........

2of3 pulls out imaginary hair

November 29, 2011 9:51:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

Test it out: go to the WB section and type a skin name in the search box. You get a search of ALL the galleries and you end up going through 15 pages of supporting skins and screenshots before finding the skin you are looking for. When is this gonna get fixed? It used to work on the "old" WC...........

Do this instead, Tim:

Whenever/wherever you wanna search for a particular skin, sellect the proper gallery from the dropdown menu

November 29, 2011 10:10:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Quoting 2of3,
reply 12

Do this instead, Tim:

Whenever/wherever you wanna search for a particular skin, sellect the proper gallery from the dropdown menu

November 29, 2011 10:18:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
sellect the proper gallery from the dropdown menu

Is there any way that can be tied into our customized galleries list  in the Explore dropdown menu? I'd like to be able to hide/show what galleries I can search. (What the heck is a BootSkinsXP?)

Wake me up if I'm dreaming.

November 29, 2011 11:41:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Do this instead, Tim:

I'll be damned!

2of3 tapes imaginary hair back on head

Now tell me how to to that on an authors skin page and I'll get w**d

November 29, 2011 12:00:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

Would that be "Norwegian W**d" (Lennon-McCartney) ? 

November 29, 2011 12:09:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Quoting Snowman, reply 13sellect the proper gallery from the dropdown menu

Is there any way that can be tied into our customized galleries list  in the Explore dropdown menu? I'd like to be able to hide/show what galleries I can search. (What the heck is a BootSkinsXP?)  

Wake me up if I'm dreaming.

Quoting Snowman,
Quoting 2of3, reply 12

Do this instead, Tim:

Yeah, ok, so why can't DX be in there? Believe it or not, that would be my favorite gallery...lol.

November 29, 2011 12:13:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Actually, BootSkinXP shouldn't even be in that dropdown. It isn't supported by Stardock and hasn't been for a long time. It is my opinion that all galleries, especially those for Stardock products, should be in there, or as Wiz said, customizable to show what I want to see.

November 29, 2011 12:14:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting 2of3,

http://2of3.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx

try the dropdown box just above skins

November 29, 2011 12:45:50 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting theAVMAN,
http://2of3.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx

try the dropdown box just above skins

I know about that page, Harley ........I'm talking about http://wincustomize.com/explore/all/pagesize/350/view/list/author/2of3

November 29, 2011 12:53:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

for all the stuff in Tim's image!

November 29, 2011 12:57:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Xiandi,
for all the stuff in Tim's image!

November 29, 2011 1:15:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Yeah, ok, so why can't DX be in there? Believe it or not, that would be my favorite gallery...lol.
Using the Iconpackager serach as a template: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/iconpackager/search/zubaz and the default page for, say DesktopX themes (http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/desktopx_themes),you cna do http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/desktopx_themes/search/zubaz and get whatever you want

November 29, 2011 3:28:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Quoting RedneckDude, reply 18Yeah, ok, so why can't DX be in there? Believe it or not, that would be my favorite gallery...lol.Using the Iconpackager serach as a template: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/iconpackager/search/zubaz and the default page for, say DesktopX themes (http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/desktopx_themes),you cna do http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/desktopx_themes/search/zubaz and get whatever you want

Not to be a negative Nelly here, but wouldn't it be easier to just use Google to do some of this convoluted stuff, and if Google can do a better search job of WC, than Stardock, what's the point to subscriptions?

I miss the personal pages.  Looks like most of the posters here (basically most of the skin artists), would like the personal pages back.  It may be that "The number of people using the pages, as a percentage of users that were registered on the site,  was VERY low" but the percentage of artists who want them is quite high (insert light bulb here), there might be a correlation there.  I am an artist -- my personal page is like my personal studio.  I suppose if I were just an art admirer, I wouldn't have a use for a studio.  Question -- what percentage of the registered users have a paid subscription?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000860   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.