Scientists on trial for not warning strongly enough

Ignorami vincet or Panem et circenses

By on September 20, 2011 10:30:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DrJBHL

Join Date 04/2002
+2123

From Italy:

"Six Italian scientists and one government official are set to go to trial today in Italy (Sept. 20) on charges of manslaughter for not warning the public aggressively enough of an impending earthquake that killed more than 300 people in 2009."

http://www.livescience.com/16132-italian-earthquake-prediction-manslaughter-trial.html

It seems that scientists can now predict where, when and how strong earthquakes will be.

In fact, warnings were issued:

"Enzo Boschi, the then-president of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology and now a defendant in the case, seemed to allude to this uncertainty in a March 31, 2009, meeting in L'Aquila, a medieval city in Abruzzo. Comparing the situation to a large quake that struck L'Aquila in 1703, Boschi said, "It is unlikely that an earthquake like the one in 1703 could occur in the short term, but the possibility cannot be totally excluded.

In a press conference after the meeting, however, Department of Civil Protection official Bernardo De Bernardinis, also a defendant in the case, struck a more soothing tone, saying that the situation posed "no danger" and urging residents to relax.

Less than a week later, on April 6, a 6.3-magnitude quake struck in Abruzzo. L'Aquila's medieval buildings crumbled, killing 309 people and injuring more than 1,500." - http://www.livescience.com/16132-italian-earthquake-prediction-manslaughter-trial.html

Seems ridiculous to me, in this day and age that finger pointers should be able to put scientists on trial for not having crystal balls. I can see the civil official perhaps being lax in in telling everyone there "to relax" if that is indeed true and not just another instance of people hearing what they wanted and then being angry when it didn't turn out that way.

When will people understand that some things are still beyond science and stop believing the "special effects" are real?

"Panem et circenses".

When will people stop the finger pointing and blame game and just grow up?

64 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 20, 2011 10:56:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When will people stop the finger pointing and blame game and just grow up?

Sadly, I don't believe it's going to happen within our lifetime, Doc. But we can always hope.

September 20, 2011 11:13:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Off with their heads!

September 20, 2011 11:19:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Scientists on trial for not warning strongly enough

Yeah, like if they got on the roof tops the rest of the folks would have taken the time to listen. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 20, 2011 11:31:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Damn scientists

September 20, 2011 11:33:22 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

"Six Italian scientists and one government official are set to go to trial today in Italy (Sept. 20) on charges of manslaughter for not warning the public aggressively enough of an impending earthquake that killed more than 300 people in 2009."

Wait.... what?!

Not in 'merica?!?!?

September 20, 2011 11:47:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That's it. I'm suing Nostradamus.......... and the Mayans!!! They both failed to warn me about present and future situations.

Predictions aren't what they used to be.

Side note: Not all scientists have crystal balls. Tesla had huge balls but they were made of brass.

September 20, 2011 11:52:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Side note: Not all scientists have crystal balls. Tesla had huge balls but they were made of brass.

Hehehe.... When they took old Nicolo out for a walk... well, that's how he got his nick... "Sparky".

September 20, 2011 1:18:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That it probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard!  You cannot put people on trial over something they have no control over!  How asinine!

September 20, 2011 1:26:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Its the blame game folks. Whenever something god awful happens there's got to be some one to blame for it. Maybe it was the Russian earthquake machine in the hands of greedy American CEO who wanted to know..."Hmmm...wonder what this button does?"

September 20, 2011 6:06:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

What's next, history teachers on trial for failing to teach that the area has been plagued by tremors through out history?

Talk about naive...when you live in the only country in Europe that has active volcanoes, you should expect shit to happen any time.

September 20, 2011 6:14:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting CarGuy1,
when you live in the only country in Europe that has active volcanoes

Wrong, wrong, WRONG.
Take two checks in your geography book, and call back tomorrow.

Hint: There's hardly any ICE there in this LAND.

September 20, 2011 6:49:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Iceland is an island and technically not part of Europe. They only say it is for ease of familiarity. Italy is an archipelago and is attached to Europe. Problem is Italy is always kickin' Sicily with its boot. I wonder why that is. Between Etna roaring to life and Vesuvius grumbling not to mention Tambora waking up...hmph. Somebody's gonna get a hot foot or two.  

September 20, 2011 6:56:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oops...I had a brain fart. Not sure how I forgot about Hekla.

Thanks Snowman...I stand corrected.

September 20, 2011 7:38:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
Iceland is an island and technically not part of Europe.

So is the UK, and it's still a part of Europe.

September 20, 2011 7:41:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

... next stop, the Dark Ages. Self serving governments tend to move away from belief in scientific theory and research

Quoting Uvah,
Italy is an archipelago and is attached to Europe.

... taz checks up on his atlas

September 20, 2011 8:07:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Isn't their economy going the way of Greece's?

Like they're gonna get any money out of them....

Let's be real....if it weren't for Sophia Loren Italy would be a waste of space anyway.....

I mean....what'd the Romans ever do for us?

September 20, 2011 9:01:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Aren't these the people that wanted to toss Galileo off the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

September 20, 2011 9:21:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Let's be real....if it weren't for Sophia Loren Italy would be a waste of space anyway.....

And when she's in Italy there's scarcely any room for the rest of 'em. She could set off any volcano. Most beautiful woman on earth. Still.

September 21, 2011 6:23:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For mine, they/we/everyone should put bankers on trial for not warning us more strongly that they're ripping us off

And while we're at it, let's put all the politicians on trial for being full of shit, lying and breaking promises at every turn

Bugger it, why stop there?  Let's prosecute real estate sales people for artificially inflating house prices and making housing [including rental properties] largely unaffordable to the majority.

Then, when we're done with that lot, prosecute the dipshits who came up with global warming, for having mislead the masses with bogus research.  Some of the above will also be in this category, and those who are should be triple prosecuted for having released so much hot air into the atmosphere.

Miss anybody???

September 21, 2011 9:37:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,

Miss anybody???

Yup, Apple.....

September 21, 2011 11:34:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
For mine, they/we/everyone should put bankers on trial for not warning us more strongly that they're ripping us off

And while we're at it, let's put all the politicians on trial for being full of shit, lying and breaking promises at every turn

Bugger it, why stop there?  Let's prosecute real estate sales people for artificially inflating house prices and making housing [including rental properties] largely unaffordable to the majority.

Then, when we're done with that lot, prosecute the dipshits who came up with global warming, for having mislead the masses with bogus research.  Some of the above will also be in this category, and those who are should be triple prosecuted for having released so much hot air into the atmosphere.

Miss anybody???

Glad to know somebody dislikes these barstewards as much as I do. I feel a Joe User blog post coming on.

September 21, 2011 12:22:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
Miss anybody???

Yup, it may be only here in the US, but how about rich people and corporations not paying taxes in a lot of cases and getting all those tax breaks, and for what!

September 21, 2011 12:36:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Yup, it may be only here in the US, but how about rich people and corporations not paying taxes in a lot of cases and getting all those tax breaks, and for what!

It certainly isn't limited to the US. Over here they're saying that we should drop the 50p tax, which only applies to those who earn £150,000 a year or more to start with. Yet nobody wants to make things easier for Joe Schlub who busts his ass day in day out, just to earn enough money to keep his head above water. In fact they seem to be doing all they can to make it harder for Joe to achieve that as time goes on. Yet they keep telling us that we're "all in this together". My pale English arse we are!

September 21, 2011 2:42:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Quoting starkers,
reply 19

Miss anybody???

Yup, Apple.....

You're right... Apple has to be put on trial for not warning everyone strongly enough that they invented everything and will sue if you copy it.

While we're at it, Rupert Murdoch and his son should also be prosecuted.... simply because they're still breathing.  All the other bad shit they did with their media empire can be addressed when we get them for grievous and blatant misuse of air.

In fact, with regard to the majority I've listed, couldn't we just execute first and determine guilt later?... would save a whole lot of time and expense with expensive hearings and defense lawyers, etc?

September 21, 2011 3:02:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting starkers,
In fact, with regard to the majority I've listed, couldn't we just execute first and determine guilt later?... would save a whole lot of time and expense with expensive hearings and defense lawyers, etc?

That sounds an awful lot like The French Revolution to me.

Plus I'm not a supporter of executing people. That doesn't make me a bleeding heart liberal, just somebody who believes there are better ways of serving justice.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.