Answers about the Moderation Process

By on August 16, 2011 11:40:11 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+591

We have been receiving some questions about moderation from both new and established users.  I wanted to take a few moments to answer some of the common questions, and give you a chance to ask questions that I will answer in a later post.

Why was my skin approved later than others, even though I submitted before them?

Skins are not moderated in order of their submission.  Once a skin is uploaded it is placed in a moderation gallery to be looked at by the moderators.  Some skins take longer for a variety of reasons such as waiting to receive more opinions on the skin, or to verify a permission, etc.  We try to get skins through as fast as possible, but we have a limited staff, and although they do phenomenal work, only so much can be done at a time.

Where is my wallpaper, it was approved but not in the gallery?

It is more than likely in your personal gallery.  WinCustomize is a moderated gallery and not all submissions are placed into the public gallery.  Please see the upload guidelines for more information.

Why is the rating lower now than when it was approved?

Moderators put through an initial rating, but once it is in the public galleries any user can then rate skins.  

What can I do to up the chances of my wallpaper making it into the public gallery?

There is not a single solution I can recommend, but some tips can help.  First, focus on quality not quantity.  Uploading wallpapers just to get more downloads will actually increase your chances of not being made public.  Be unique, take your time, solicit feedback from peers, and just enjoy what you are doing.

If you have any questions you would like answered about moderation, please leave them in the comments and I will make another post soon answering as much as I can.

Pinned Post 50 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 16, 2011 11:49:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 16, 2011 12:45:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This post should be pinned.

August 16, 2011 12:53:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Innovate, dont imitate.

Quality over quantity.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 16, 2011 12:57:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Done.

August 16, 2011 1:41:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Also displayed on the upload page, right above a button saying "Print three copies and returned in signed form, before allowed to upload"

August 16, 2011 2:49:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Quoting DrJBHL,
reply 2

Also displayed on the upload page, right above a button saying "Print three copies and returned in signed form, before allowed to upload"

Snowy, I just spit soda all over my monitor. I'll send you the cleaning bill....hilaroius!!   

August 16, 2011 4:40:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

If you have any questions you would like answered about moderation

Why all the drama lately over moderation?!?!?! Has it changed THAT drastically over the past ten or so years?!?!?!

August 16, 2011 5:46:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,

Snowy, I just spit soda all over my monitor. I'll send you the cleaning bill....hilaroius!!   

Mission accomplished.

Quoting navigatsio,

Why all the drama lately over moderation?!?!?! Has it changed THAT drastically over the past ten or so years?!?!?!

No. It's basically unchanged since 'forever', but new users tend to not understand the process as well as old users.

But a reminder once in a while never hurt anyone.

In the heat of the battle some users tend to "forget" certain things, specially on the matter of ratings.....

August 16, 2011 6:41:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When it comes to your wallpapers, logons, bootscreens, consider this....if it's not good enough to stay on YOUR monitor for a least a couple days then it's probably not going to make it into the public library.

August 16, 2011 6:46:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Quoting Snowman, reply 5

Quoting DrJBHL,
reply 2

I made him remove the part about thumb tacking it to the forehead.

August 16, 2011 9:12:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
I made him remove the part about thumb tacking it to the forehead.

I have 2 staple guns.....

August 16, 2011 10:04:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I'd hold'em....

August 17, 2011 9:02:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

I'll super glue the eye lids open.

Yes quality and ORIGINALITY, are huge pluses for walls.

August 17, 2011 9:28:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 17, 2011 10:02:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 18, 2011 11:03:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

hehe

February 6, 2012 5:40:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

February 7, 2012 6:09:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bumpquake!     RUN!!!!                                               <------------------------------------------------------------- oops ... wrong way ---------> 

October 1, 2012 2:33:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So If others rate your skin or wall higher Does that men it will be placed in the gallery??? Not wanting to start a free for all here or put anyone else down BUT I disaprove of the ratings I sometimes get when uploading. I see other stuff that by no means shoulda got what rating they got. I agree yes Quality over Quanity BUT If a piece falls below a  OBIVIOUSLY BIAS OPINION who can we get to reconsider a work or what can be done about it!? There is never an explaination as to WHY it didn't make it! A review and suggestions would help! Or someone here that can be approached for a SECOND opinion. You won't let just any doctor operate on you! You get a second opinion. How about an APPEAL process so the individual has some recoarse as to why and what can be done. This might help solve some of the discouragement and feeling that there is no help in certain situations. We are supposed to encourage guide and teach. That makes for a better community and a stronger site resulting in MORE QUALITY works and less frivolous artwork. EGERELY AWAITING SOLUTION! 

October 1, 2012 2:40:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When your working on something you feel passionate about try doing what some others have...post a WIP (work in progress) and ask for peoples opinions or suggestions. But then be prepared for all kinds of feedback good and bad. You may feel what your doing deserves a Pulitzer prize but others may not. 

October 1, 2012 3:00:12 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I understand That and have in the past posted. But I have been offline for about a year. I didn't ask for a Pulitzer just a view in the gallery! I sometimes when looking back see mistakes and when time permits I edit. But this is mainly concerning concerning a recent work which is done by a highly rated 3d sculpting artist! And it is a Logon displaying his work All the FEEDBACK I get is great! I never feel bad about advice or suggestions to improve a piece but you don't seem to have read & understood my point. I still don't SEE a second opinion alternitive here or recourse to a bad rating. If something might not make it in the gallery shouldn't a moderator get a second opinion before maybe mistakenly  putting a work in pergatory. And still no one has answered my other question does getting more stars get your work upgraded to the Gallery? Ehere it can be me readily viewed & used. I am not interested in downloads just that it gets exposure so others can decide fairly. By the way I have been here since 2006 & I think I know by now not to upload junk. 

October 1, 2012 3:20:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

IIRC, the wallpaper gallery is moderated by a team of three or more, so each wall actually has many "second opinions" . If a wall goes to ones personal gallery or is rejected outright, the recourse has always been to PM the Moderator(s) and ask what can be done to improve the submission to achieve a better evaluation.

October 1, 2012 3:26:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
IIRC, the wallpaper gallery is moderated by a team of three

Three mods (at least) and two (or more) admins can approve/reject anything in the wallpaper gallery, actually.

Majority vote counts - and stands.

No such thing as a 'second opinion'.
Wanna improve your moderator rating? Improve your work.

October 1, 2012 3:43:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

WHO are the Moderators concerning this??? So I can find out if you could help me with this. I have made comments before on certain works and then they were put in the gallery but I never knew who viewed the comment! 

It was good enough to to be in the gallery here. I will have other pics to support my contention as they are approved

https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/Public

October 1, 2012 3:58:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
IIRC, the wallpaper gallery is moderated by a team of three

Not 100% true. All gallery mods can rate "vote on" wallpapers so at times there are as many as 7 or 8 votes on a specific item. The minimum is 3.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000656   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.