Birthdays

By on August 13, 2011 9:32:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

gmc2

Join Date 11/2003
+281

I generally don't wish people happy birthdays here. It's not that I don't acknowledge them because some of those people whose birthdays occur I do really like. Harley and Andrew happy belated birthday.

But, you know, if you're not in the clique then the chances of having that special day acknowledged is slim to none.

My excuse for not participating is that when 'they' out your birth date that they are violating their own TOS by divulging personal information. But the truth of the matter is just that I've been around for some years now and never had my birth date acknowledged.[e digicons]:'([/e]

To me, this is an example of the mods playing favorites, even though they say they don't.

Locked Post 94 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 13, 2011 9:49:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Happy Birthday posts are usually made by members, not the mods. One or two were even originated by the person having the birthday. I fail to see how favoritism comes into play.

August 13, 2011 9:56:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

To me, this is an example of the mods playing favorites, even though they say they don't.

Not so.

A few people around here have little proggies that remind them of birthdates...so some are remembered/notified in time.

I make it a point to remember my wife's birthdate....that's all.

All others are 'unimportant', REALLY .... even my own [they always make me older than I was]....

....but miss Terry's and I'm dead meat....

Anyone who feels 'left out/forgotten'...you can PM me and I'll post a thread for you [assuming I remember]...

August 13, 2011 10:00:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,

Happy Birthday posts are usually made by members, not the mods.

Wiz, I love you man but you are totally wrong. The last one for neone6 was actually an exception. most are done by a mod(s). Not that there is anything wrone with it and mine every year gets posted by a Mod, I do see plenty of people on here I have never seen their birthday posted. Just say-in but there does appear to be some merit to the main post.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 13, 2011 10:04:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I don't put up B-Days and I don't even want mine put up.  Why all the crying, its not life or death.  You need to get a life that includes 1 important thing so you will be busy.  Damn.

August 13, 2011 10:05:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Happy (belated) (I think) Birthday, gmc2.  

FYI - Mods do not have access to Stardock account information and therefore do not know any birth dates through that avenue. So the "Mods" are not violating any TOS.

August 13, 2011 10:10:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

All  3 of mine were by members, I've posted RnD's twice and most that I've seen were by members for other members but then, I haven't been here as long as a lot of you have. We were asked once if we wanted birthdates in our profiles. I don't recall how that went over, but as for me, I don't mind. The day doesn't make me feel old, it's the year.

I try to acknowledge all birthday threads as I "like" everybody here!

August 13, 2011 10:36:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 13, 2011 10:41:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The world is going to hell in a hand basket, birthdays are not a major concern to me, waking up in the morning is a much more significant event. 

August 13, 2011 10:47:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[Mod hat off]

Some are even friends. My birthday threads are done as a member, not a Mod, and there's no badge on them.

gmc2 - I remember friends' birthdays when I know them. I don't know yours. Some get wilder shops than others... but I do what I do out of affection for them as people I know, and as requests from others. Most I've known for years.

I belong to no clique.

I do what I do for friends who put up with my weird sense of humor (and I'm grateful for that).

They also know that it'll bring a smile or a laugh for others.

Well, less one, it appears.

Quoting DaveBax,
Just say-in but there does appear to be some merit to the main post.

Wiz happens to be right. You happen to be wrong in this. When I posted for you, it was for a friend who was hurting badly... as well as a genuine wish for a happy birthday. You won't be burdened further.

@Jafo - How about "The Whiner Emo Corner" as an addition to Forums? 

For everyone:

1, I'm a Mod. I admit it. I was honored by a group of people I regard deeply. End of story.

2. The only times I function as one is in publishing articles (my job), and if something in Forums looks like it's getting out of hand. You'll see:

[Mod hat on]

Those comments, member x, violate the TOS. Please remove them quickly.

At any other time, I am a member like any other member. This is the second time I've had to post this. 

Back to gmc2:

As for a TOS violation, gmc2: None exists. Members post their birthdays in various places: Birthday threads from years past, on other skinning sites, on MSN, facebook, Google+, etc.

I have no access to any account but my own. I've written that in various places: pm's, Forums, irc, etc. to members asking for my help in fixing problems they were having.

So, in summing up, from one member to another: Please deal with your anger/unhappiness/irritability [you can choose] in more constructive ways than this. 

August 13, 2011 10:52:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Doc is the main mod that posts birthdays, I think. And he's done it since wayyy before becoming a mod. He has been here a long while and knows a lot of us.

I'm sure he hasn't time, or info, to post birthdays for almost 5 million members of this site. He does it because he wants to, not as a mod, but as a member.

Having said that, GMC2, and trying hard here not to make you think you're being flamed, I think of the old adage, "You draw more ants with sugar than with vinegar."

There are a lot of people on this site that whine about everything, no matter what it is.  There are always people that feel left out of something. There are a lot of members here that tend to stir up things. Some cry for attention.

So, it isn't a Clique as much as it is about being a helpful and productive member. Pissing and moaning all the time will naturally get one left out of some of the non-official things that are done out of the kindness of other members hearts.

That said, Happy Frickin Birthday Dude!! (whenever it is.)  We love ya!!   

August 13, 2011 10:57:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

SInce my DOB is not posted on my page here, I am assuming the non-mods who have started threads for my B-day got it from DA, Facebook, or some other social site I have it posted.

My complaint would be that over the years, I seem to be getting fewer and fewer gifts. The usual mail-bomb still shows up from skinhit, but I only got one Stockard Channing poster and 2 subscriptions to ExtenZe last year (the wife says 'Thanks'). I hope you all will do a little better this year or I may have to go exploit myself somewhere else.

August 13, 2011 11:00:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Po, if I knew your birthdate, I'd send you some autographed nude pics of skinhit, to add to your collection of favorite friend pics.

So, PM me your info and I'll get my friends to help out too. The gift that keeps on giving....

P.S. I know you're thinking where did I get the pics, lets just say I have friends in low places......

August 13, 2011 11:15:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
So, PM me your info and I'll get my friends to help out too. The gift that keeps on giving....

I see that happening...   No I don't.

Quoting PoSmedley,
My complaint would be that over the years, I seem to be getting fewer and fewer gifts.

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." (Luke, 11:9)

Be patient, friend... and gird thy loins. Please.

August 13, 2011 11:20:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Tim, you made me hungry.....

August 13, 2011 11:35:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,

Doc you read most of what I write wrong or take it the wrong way. What the above statement is saying about merit is not everyones Birthday is know and that is all it means so therefore not all can be posted.

Quoting DrJBHL,
Wiz happens to be right. You happen to be wrong in this. When I posted for you, it was for a friend who was hurting badly... as well as a genuine wish for a happy birthday. You won't be burdened further.

Ok, Doc you are correct if that is what you want to believe. I suggest you go back over a year and see what percentage is posted by mods and that is all I was saying again not that some aren't posted by members. I don't see one thing I wrote that said I didn't want it or anyone elses posted. so if the only real reason you posted mine is because I was hurting bad from the loss of my wife than do what you think you must. You mentioned friend but killed that with you posting because I was hurting so bad. Well guess what I'm still hurting bad and almost didn't make it a month ago. Better again right now but not good so be happy. Last thing and I won't be back is. People say much worst things then me as I really don't say that much. however you always find a way to pick what I say out and make sure you quote it. Well you won't have anymore need to quote from me.

BTW. Go check I happen to like the BD post and comment on all of them. Have a great day, bye.

August 13, 2011 11:41:01 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
I suggest you go back over a year and see what percentage is posted by mods

By mods doesn't mean AS mods. Mods have friends too, why can't they do unofficial things also, just like the rest of us?

August 13, 2011 11:49:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

AND by the way.....

MY birthday is tomorrow and if you have in any way fucked up the possibility of there being a thread about it tomorrow, you're going on The List.

*edit - Geez. I'm going back over the thread and felt I had to add a wink so as not to offend anyone.

Have we become so 'politically correct' or 'self centered' that we have to argue over how, when, why, or who is trying to a GOOD thing?!?!?!?!

I mean, c'mon. Let's all take our ass-hats off and chill.

DO we (I) have to worry about offending someone by saying Happy Birthday?!?!?! Is this what it comes to? How the fuck....HOW DO YOU READ SOMETHING into someone wishing someone a Happy Birthday! Marilyn Monroe didn't sing Happy Birthday to ME and I'm not bicthing because the Rat Pack was a clique. And I'm not offended if someone who usually doesn't wish me a happy b-day does so cause I was going through a rough patch that year. No one is coming to me with their hand out when they do it, so I don't look to read anything into it. I wanna know what has made us all so freaking paranoid over a simple gesture that some cultures go to great lengths to celebrate and all we are talking about here is a forum thread.

Talk about just sucking the fun and joy out of something so simple that it doesn't require or even need to analyzed or misconstrued.

No birthday thread for me. I want a 'Fuck You, PoSmedley' thread. Any one who is nice in it is gonna get unfreinded from any social site I have them on and a nasty response in the thread.

Cause you all suck.

August 13, 2011 11:57:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Aww, come on, Po. That's the third birthday you've had this year.

August 13, 2011 11:59:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This is one reason I post very few threads anymore.  In the past (8 years or so) the forum was fun.  Now its a pain in the butt.  So much BS and crying, fighting. 

August 13, 2011 12:04:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DaveBax: Read what you wrote:

Quoting DaveBax,

Now read this:

Quoting DrJBHL,
I remember friends' birthdays when I know them. I don't know yours. Some get wilder shops than others... but I do what I do out of affection for them as people I know, and as requests from others. Most I've known for years.

I belong to no clique.

I do what I do for friends who put up with my weird sense of humor (and I'm grateful for that).

They also know that it'll bring a smile or a laugh for others.

Quoting DrJBHL,
1, I'm a Mod. I admit it. I was honored by a group of people I regard deeply. End of story.

2. The only times I function as one is in publishing articles (my job), and if something in Forums looks like it's getting out of hand. You'll see:

[Mod hat on]

Those comments, member x, violate the TOS. Please remove them quickly.

At any other time, I am a member like any other member.

Birthday Posts are done as a member for a member. They are done in "General" or "Community" Forums. Not in "Personal Computing".

There was no merit in the OP. Your justifying it hurt my feelings. End of "Tempest in a tea pot".

@Smedley:

Quoting DrJBHL,
Quoting PoSmedley, reply 11
My complaint would be that over the years, I seem to be getting fewer and fewer gifts.
"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." (Luke, 11:9)

Be patient, friend... and gird thy loins. Please.

No frakkin' amount of begging me not to post will stop me posting your birthday thread. Certainly not any reverse psychology, either, byotch. 

August 13, 2011 12:05:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Quoting DaveBax, reply 15I suggest you go back over a year and see what percentage is posted by mods

By mods doesn't mean AS mods. Mods have friends too, why can't they do unofficial things also, just like the rest of us?

This is my last post but as you are a frtiend I will try and explain and correct something I said that may not be taken right.

I used the wrong word saying "totally" above. I didn't say there was anything wrong with anyone posting anything about or for another member. Wheather it's a BD or just plain fun. jafo said it best when he said the mods have access to information we don't have. Because of this reason of mods knowing I was aying there is a much higher percentage of mods posting BD than friends for each other. I never said it didn't happen but you couldn't post mine as you don't know when it is but you may know some so that is wonderful you would post first. That's all i'm saying and don't know how else to explain it.

The key here was again me using "totally" in my first post when I should have just used there is a much higher percent posted by mods which I just expalined why it happens that way. So my mistake in using the wrong word.

BTW. Please post PO's BD tomorrow

August 13, 2011 12:12:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
No frakkin' amount of begging me not to post will stop me posting your birthday thread. Certainly not any reverse psychology, either, byotch.  

Phht.

You suck the most.

Quoting DaveBax,
BTW. Please post PO's BD tomorrow

Too late. You're on The List. I don't like your avatar, you haven't emailed me in forever, and if I remember, you're from 'Jersey'. (If not, you should be.)

August 13, 2011 12:14:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

My excuse for not participating is that when 'they' out your birth date that they are violating their own TOS by divulging personal information. But the truth of the matter is just that I've been around for some years now and never had my birth date acknowledged.[e digicons]:'([/e]

Lets get the facts straight here, shall we...

• No personal information is obtained from any Stardock database regarding birthday posts.  
  • Posts are made by a variety of members including myself, mods, members, etc.  There's no favoritism at all.  Many members here have relationships with other members and if one wants to post a "Happy Birthday" to another....then what is the real problem?
  • Are you upset because nobody posted your birthday, and this is somehow a way to stop others from having fun?
  • Really, get over it.....

Flamebait is all this post is good for.

August 13, 2011 12:15:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DaveBax,
jafo said it best when he said the mods have access to information we don't have

Quoting Hankers,
FYI - Mods do not have access to Stardock account information and therefore do not know any birth dates through that avenue. So the "Mods" are not violating any TOS

August 13, 2011 12:16:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2016 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.