DX problems

By on August 3, 2011 5:42:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nimbin

Join Date 01/2006
+112

just tried using impulse to update desktopX to version 4 and it says that my registration is not valid... ok so i know that my sub runs out on july 31 2012 and when i check the stardock products page DX4 is not listed for download. is this what is the norm for impulse now?. everytime i load it there shows an update for WB to 7.20d but as soon as it finishes validating the registrations the update disappears. What is going on?, i thought we could continue to use impulse to update our paid for valid subscription software... but no. Is stardock going to release an updater just for their products? because this is going from silly to absolutely stupid now.

Thanks

Nimbin

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 3, 2011 5:56:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You should now go to this page for all your program downloads https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products

I wouldn't bother to download DX 4 as it isn't very stable.  Best to stay with 3.5

August 3, 2011 6:03:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I agree with Murex, stay with 3.5.

August 3, 2011 6:05:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Murex,
You should now go to this page for all your program downloads https://store.stardock.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/myaccount/products

i have already gone there mate, DX4 is not listed nor are any beta updates for WB. i have DX 3.5 installed and WB 7.20c. My problem is that impuise was designed to allow us to update our programs and now we can't, so whats the point?, what are we paying for?. This sale of impulse to gamestop has resulted in nothing more than spam emails from them trying to sell us games and other crap. 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
August 3, 2011 6:17:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nimbin,
This sale of impulse to gamestop has resulted in nothing more than spam emails from them trying to sell us games and other crap.
I state for the record, I have not gotten ANY spam emails from GameStop. I do get the occaisional Impulse Weekend Buys email that I signed up for, so it isn't spam.

If you get email you don't want from Impulse, look at the bottom of the email and click unsubscribe.

August 3, 2011 6:33:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
If you get email you don't want from Impulse, look at the bottom of the email and click unsubscribe.

done that. still get em. It's not a real issue because i have set anything from gamestop as spam so they don't reach my inbox, but it is annoying that i get them still after unsubcscribing

August 3, 2011 7:13:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
Maybe they have taken DX 4 off of the update list because they know it’s crap and they are no longer interested in updating DX.  Brad has made it pretty plain that they are no longer going to use any of Stardock’s resources to further enhance DX.

As far as impulse the best thing to do is just uninstall it as it’s no longer of any use to anyone  using Stardock products. 
August 3, 2011 7:21:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Murex,
As far as impulse the best thing to do is just uninstall it as it’s no longer of any use to anyone using Stardock products.

It is still useful for verifying installs and for IRC. And betas.

August 3, 2011 8:12:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

According to Island Dog, there is a Stardock Central-type application in development.

August 3, 2011 9:10:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
It is still useful for verifying installs and for IRC. And betas.

not useful for betas at all, i cannot update Windowblinds to the latest beta 7.20d because impulse says my subscription is no longer valid, even though on the stardock product page my sub runs out on july 31 2012. IRC, if i want to use that then i would rather an actual IRC client like mIRC, so that just leaves verifying installs...wow it's so useful now... NOT. The bloody thing won even let me have any available updates for any of the stardock software because of the sub thing. My opinion is that stardock should of had a solution to this before they sold out to gamestop.

Oh and yes i have tried to update my OD subscription through impulse and all i get is... well nothing, nothing at all. The date remains the same...expiry 31/07/2011. Not happy Jan

August 3, 2011 9:29:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nimbin,
Oh and yes i have tried to update my OD subscription through impulse and all i get is... well nothing, nothing at all. The date remains the same...expiry 31/07/2011.

Ya the subscription renewal won't show on Impulse, so don't go crazy looking for it.  I've already seen that confusion lurking around here.  I think if you want to verify the renewal you'll have to send Sales an email.

Edit- I didn't see that the new date was showing on the Stardock site, didn't know it showed there.  So I guess you're good, but no it's not going to show on Impulse.

August 3, 2011 11:46:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Nimbin,

not useful for betas at all, i cannot update Windowblinds to the latest beta 7.20d because impulse says my subscription is no longer valid, even though on the stardock product page my sub runs out on july 31 2012

That is strange, Impulse is working fine here, betas and all.

August 4, 2011 2:21:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
That is strange, Impulse is working fine here, betas and all.

I think, if I got it right from another thread, that Impulse continues to work for a person until his subscription period that was in place at the time Gamestop bought it expires.  So if a person's subscription year ends this October, Impulse should continue to work for that person until then.  When the person renews though, the renewal won't show in Impulse and Impulse won't do updates, downloads, etc anymore.  In other words, at that point Impulse is out of the loop for that person's Object Desktop etc and would only be good for maybe restoring archives (?).

Or I may have become completely confused, happens easily enough.  Anyway I just keep downloading and archiving in any format I can get my hands on, and hopefully I can get it re-installed someday when I need to.

August 4, 2011 8:08:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Murex,
Maybe they have taken DX 4 off of the update list because they know it’s crap and they are no longer interested in updating DX. Brad has made it pretty plain that they are no longer going to use any of Stardock’s resources to further enhance DX.

SOURCE ???

August 4, 2011 8:47:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have DX Pro also. On my download page it is listed as v3.5 however.. the file that actually downloads is v4.

v4 is USELESS. Don't even bother with it.

Quoting c242,
Maybe they have taken DX 4 off of the update list because they know it’s crap and they are no longer interested in updating DX. Brad has made it pretty plain that they are no longer going to use any of Stardock’s resources to further enhance DX.

Quoting c242,
SOURCE ???
I have another thread going on something similar but it may provide pertinent info here.

I'm wondering about that source too, but on the other hand it IS a logical assumption.

There was a thread a long time ago aimed at "pumping us all up" about Brad's newfound breath of fresh air with getting back in to the OD product followed by a prompt release of DX4. DX4 was a complete and utter failure with more than enough feedback given to SD to begin addressing the issues. Not a thing has happened to it since then, so... I would guess that DX's grave has been dug and the first shovel of dirt has been thrown in.

August 4, 2011 11:29:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting c242,

Quoting Murex,
reply 6

SOURCE ???

http://forums.wincustomize.com/372608

August 4, 2011 12:11:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Phoon,
DX's grave has been dug and the first shovel of dirt has been thrown in.

More like a truckload. By the time DX is Vista/7 ready, Windows 8 will be out, undoubtedly with new rules and compatibility issues. Crap like UAC and other "permissions"/"ownership" restrictions may be the nail in the DX coffin.

Windows Sidebar gadgets can access all sorts of system info that DX cannot and they are more accurate. (a good trade off with skinability)

WMP has much better sound quality than the DX player.

If DX can't at least equal what is already available to the PC user for free, why would anyone want to buy it, or even use it for that matter?

August 4, 2011 12:15:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
If DX can't at least equal what is already available to the PC user for free, why would anyone want to buy it, or even use it for that matter?

Oh, maybe because RedneckDude makes skins for it.

August 4, 2011 12:20:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

Quoting Wizard1956,
reply 16

Oh, maybe because RedneckDude makes skins for it.

Well, it does have that going for it.

August 4, 2011 12:20:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Very good response, Philly!!!!

Check is in the mail, John!

August 4, 2011 12:21:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Windows 8 has the possibility of really changing the desktop in regards to apps and such.  It's still early, but it looks like desktop apps will be html5 powered.

August 4, 2011 12:23:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

August 4, 2011 2:14:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

But for 4.0, we’re looking to clean it up. Fix long-standing issues and get to a more solid foundation from which to build on with Windows 7 being the focus for future development.

Hm, reads different for me. But then again that was when more 'love' for Object Desktop was promised also...

August 4, 2011 2:21:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
Windows 8 has the possibility of really changing the desktop in regards to apps and such.  It's still early, but it looks like desktop apps will be html5 powered.

Yeah, that's a big part of why I pretty much feel like the desktop, as we know it, is dead. With moblie devices driving the computing experience, the desktop will become the 'start screen,' an even faster way to get somewhere else, with no room in its structure for 'eye-candy' or much ofthe unconventional widgets/themes we make with DesktopX.

It's still a ways off, for sure, and it all depends on how well the Windows tiles concept is received.

August 4, 2011 3:34:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well lets think about that a little bit sViz. 

Not a whole lot of folks took to Vista and they stayed with XP.  Windows 7, although considered an improvement over Vista by some folks still didn't reduce XP users by a lot. 

I have taken a look at some of the Windows 8 stuff on the Internet and I have to say that there really doesn't seem much that would interest me.  I suppose that may be that I don't have a tablet and my cell phone is probably third or fourth generation old when it comes to the user interface. 

So I wonder where the majority of the consumer base is?  Yes some will jump on the Windows 8 bandwagon because it is new. 

There is that unknown factor involved here also, just what is Brad and his folks working on that might still allow the desktop/laptop user some flexibility when it comes to setting up a desktop environment that suites the user's requirements.

I guess we will all have to just be patient and wait and see. 

August 5, 2011 1:26:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

So we all have 1-2 GB graphic-cards, 4+ GB RAM, i7 multicores and what not to look at plain boring unicolored or least simple gradient tiles in the future ? No thanks.

BTW, DektopX can do that NOW. This is a corporate desktop Gadget I did for a company. Everybody there is using it. It reads all the info and user based parameters except the weather from MS Access and MS SQL databases. As a mixed thing that looks quite nice imho. For me DesktopX is so much more than a weather and system-specs display tool.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.