THEN & NOW ??

What happened ?

By on July 6, 2011 9:08:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

neone6

Join Date 12/2010
+413

There was a time when people  made their window blinds  something like this:

Now however people are trying 2 make it look something like this:

NOT saying either is better, wrong or whatever, but...Just wondering. What happened ?

A discussion around this would be refreshing I think

84 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 6, 2011 9:37:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

People got conservative.....

Individuality became a swear word.

July 6, 2011 9:38:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

In my opinion, the huge taskbars and gaudy skins were more novelty than anything.  I think now people want clean and minimal skins that can be used on a daily basis.

July 6, 2011 9:40:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Skin #1 is definitly my fave of those two.
The style of skin #2 has been used far too many times.

Innovate - dont imitate.
Quality over quantity.
Skin for yourself, and fock what everyone else says.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 6, 2011 9:45:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Individuality became a swear word.
Lol

July 6, 2011 9:46:03 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,

Skin for yourself, and fock what everyone else says.
Even you ?

July 6, 2011 9:46:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Truth of the matter....

Originally, skinning was ALL about being different ... so skins REALLY were different.

These days skins WANT to be 'better' than the default...so it's all about class and detail...

Either way, quantity is NO substitute for quality ....

July 6, 2011 9:58:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,

These days skins WANT to be 'better' than the default...so it's all about class and detail...

That's the 'oldschool' view, Paul (and mine too)

These days, I feel like it's more like 'skinners want to be the best - it's all about trashing the rest'.

July 6, 2011 10:08:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Back then everything in Windows looked the same and you couldn't change much (if anything). Then these little skinning applications known only to a small elite started popping up (eFx, Chrome, WindowBlinds) and, because everything looked the same, *anything* that looked even slightly different was received with 'wows and ahhhhs'. And the more different, the better, skinners were pushing the envelope of what could be done. People would tolerate the flaws on those skins because the Wow factor made up for it.

Then Stardock made skinning mainstream, people got used to it (lost the novelty factor) and being different was not enough anymore. Now it must be usable too, and better than what you already have (Aero looks pretty good by itself, so you also have the 'good enough' factor justifying the obvious decline in interest regarding skinning and customization applications).

July 6, 2011 10:10:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just noticed I said the exact same thing you did, Jafo, but in other words. Sorry for the plagiarism, lol

July 6, 2011 10:11:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

[quote who="Island Dog" reply="2" id="2962280"]I think now people want clean and minimal skins that can be used on a daily basis.[/quote

Yup.   Sometimes with the all to different ones, pieces wouldn't work quite well, or it would be difficult to read. 

Personally, I really enjoy the latest and greatest that are coming up. I don't find them dull at all!  And Classy is an appropriate adjective.

July 6, 2011 10:17:59 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jorge....and you're so right, too ...

Being a two finger typist I was just a little more succinct ...

July 6, 2011 10:25:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Refreshing.... Thought so

July 6, 2011 11:22:05 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've created both minimal and novelty skins -- sometimes I have a busy wallpaper and I want the skin to just accent it and sometimes I want the skin to the be focus and the wallpaper to just accent it.  The one I'm working on right now is flashy.

I think the real change to minimal happened with the advent of Vista and continued strong with Windows 7 -- XP was just so freakin' loud and ugly people thought that's the way their operating system was suppose to look.  When Microsoft went minimal, so did skinners.

July 6, 2011 11:38:31 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting k10w3,
I think the real change to minimal happened with the advent of Vista and continued strong with Windows 7   When Microsoft went minimal, so did skinners.
Nicely put... Clear & consice... I ´started skinning quite late so.....

July 6, 2011 1:05:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Plus Skinners that made extraordinary graphics and/or skins were hired by Stardock and are rarely seen anymore or they just quitted skinning. See Hippy, MikeB, Treetog, Johanne, Mormegil (man I miss his skins and icons, Apogee ist still genius), Thredz, Tech13, Dangeruss and the list goes on..

July 6, 2011 1:15:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting c242,
Plus Skinners that made extraordinary graphics and/or skins were hired by Stardock and are rarely seen anymore or they just quitted skinning. See Hippy, MikeB, Treetog, Johanne, Mormegil (man I miss his skins and icons, Apogee ist still genius), Thredz, Tech13, Dangeruss and the list goes on..
Aint that a shame...

July 6, 2011 2:00:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting c242,
See Hippy, MikeB, Treetog, Johanne, Mormegil (man I miss his skins and icons, Apogee ist still genius), Thredz, Tech13, Dangeruss and the list goes on..

I miss every single person you mentioned there, Carl, but specially the two first, Mark and Mike.
Mark (hippy(goth)) more or less taught me how to skin WB over 7 years ago, plus his work was (and still is) a massive inspiration (even though I'm an "ex"-skinner)
Mark, Mike and Renato (treetog) are the cremé de la cremé of by-gone-skinning/skinners, the hardcore hard core of the original skinners, wether they will stand by it or not.

July 6, 2011 2:15:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

CopperdeckII By Treetog:

See what I mean...

July 6, 2011 2:37:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
In my opinion, the huge taskbars and gaudy skins were more novelty than anything.  I think now people want clean and minimal skins that can be used on a daily basis.

Right on.  Right on.

July 6, 2011 3:07:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Mark, Mike and Renato (treetog) are the cremé de la cremé of by-gone-skinning/skinners, the hardcore hard core of the original skinners, wether they will stand by it or not

July 6, 2011 3:12:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,

Right you are, but I still think That in the end The really userfriendly Designerskins will prevail. People want their OWN style but Also being able to use it regularly. I mean how many different ways are there 2 combine plain colors and squares ?? It only goes that far....

July 6, 2011 3:25:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The only limit is your own imagination. Ya got to push outside the box and i got the perfect example. Look at my Hardwood smx for RedneckDude's WB, the first version. Looks like a piece of furniture. Even got a feature. Now look at version two, Hardwood II smx WIP. Not as easy as it looks. I like being different.

July 6, 2011 3:34:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Uvah,
The only limit is your own imagination. Ya got to push outside the box. I like being different
My thinking On The Spot.

July 6, 2011 3:58:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Another reason I belive we don't see that kind of quality anymore is that (to me) a Windowblinds skin just doesn't cut it anymore. Too many pieces are not able to be skinned and thus NOTHING looks 100% complete. MS has ruined Windowblinds skinning. There are some good blinds around and what can be skinned is done fairly well but I still think the small details aren't there like they used to be. I feel that quality has taken a back seat to quantity with quite a few talented people.

DX is also borked on Win7 x64. A lot of the built in tools (performance meters for example) don't work and version 4 is even worse. I fear DX has become a has been.

Iconpackager - Has hosed my system 1 too many times. Haven't used it since the last time it did it to me a couple years ago. (Blank icon issues especially if you uninstall the program).

Wallpapers - some good stuff out there but WAY too much abstract swirlyballspirograph stuff. Remember the good ol days of Nuvem and Apocalypse67? etc.

The only thing I've found to be reliable is Winstep and I'm waiting on the skinning tools for that before I have a go at it.

Uvah.. does smx work 100% on Windows7? Also, that is a FINE example of quality craftsmanship there.

July 6, 2011 4:07:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thank you Phoon. Means a lot coming from you.

SMX works beautifully on Win7. Never a problem since i started using it. IMO...Sysmetrix is underutilized.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.