Computer stops playing videos after sometime

By on June 21, 2011 8:29:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bash2cool

Join Date 08/2004
+3

Hello guys, great to be back again. This time, i'm back with a problem.

I usually leave my computer on for days, months actually (unless windows ANNOYINGLY restarts my computer for me while im asleep  because it installed "updates")

Usually my computer plays video files just fine (i normally play .wmv files) then after sometime, like perhaps a few days, the audio plays but it only shows a screenshot of the video instead of actually playing it. i try playing with windows media player, real player it doesn't matter what player, it won't work. And also Windows Movie maker won't work either. It gives me an error message saying that i don't meet the minimum specs. HA! 4gb RAM and quad processor and it says that I don't even have the minimum? I'm thinking that perhaps it's firefox thats causing the problem because it uses a lot of memory or that once my computer reaches around 60% memory use, then videos stop playing or something?

But i tried searching on Google people say that its a missing codec but how am i missing it if it was working just fine before? people also said that it might have crashed and to restart windows player, well the problem is with real player too so that didn't work. What did work (no thanks to Google) is when i delete the svchost.exe from the task manager. I delete the one that uses the highest memory and CPU. But when i do that, i lose windows Aero but videos play just fine and windows movie maker works too. Once i restore windows aero again though, svchost.exe comes back and videos don't work anymore.

Is there anything i can do to make videos play without having to remove the svchost.exe? Anyway to fix this problem?

Thank you

3 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 21, 2011 9:34:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

have you tried to do a system restore?

did it do the newest Microsoft Up dates? last Tuesday

I ask that cause after I did them my other monitor was not working and had to do a system restore for it to work again..

and what is odd is now every time I turn off my DisturbedComputer my other Monitor is not working again and another system restore

which every time it tells me system restore was not Restored but yet the Monitor is working.... and that was in Safe Mode...

good luck

June 21, 2011 11:36:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

yes i did install the latest updates but it's happened before that too. so i don't think that's the problem.

June 21, 2011 11:45:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How often are you running a clean up program, like CCleaner, doing virus/malware scans and defraging? 

I think if you leave the computer on for such a long time the normal cleaning out of things doesn't take place that happens when you reboot.  Your computer might just be gettling slowed down by that and it possibly could have something to do with your videos not working correctly over time.

Just a thought.  I could be wrong.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000328   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.