New skin creator here.

By on June 2, 2011 11:50:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

MallyMcGinnis

Join Date 04/2011
+29

Hello, all; I've been reading this forum for a while, and have been studying the excellent tutorial found here.  I'm on p. 5 at the part where the author talks about slicing the start menu for reassembly in SS.  My start menu isn't exactly square like the illustrated one is, so I'm not very sure about how to go about slicing it.  Is it safe to publish an image here of a work in progress, or is that not recommended for security reasons?

peace,

Mally

Edited to correct link

243 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 20, 2011 11:23:07 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MallyMcGinnis,
2. The plus sign correctly displays the color for all states except mouseover, and pressed. I briefly used the grey in the minus box for the disabled state, but changed my mind. However, it is still displayed on all disabled state buttons I've found (including those in Photoshop), and as noted above. They grey is fine on the disabled state buttons, but not on the Firefox bookmarks toolbar. The grey color is nowhere in my chosen color states for these buttons, only the butter color, and the orangy color.

3. Button margins inconsistently disappear, especially with buttons in pressed or mouseover states. Oddly, where two adjacent sides meet at a corner, the overlapped corners do not disappear. Is there anything I can do about that?
The Plus and Minus Buttons and the Sync button do not use the toolbar buttons for the image. Those use the standard button in the Edit Button Controls section, Check your settings for those there.

July 20, 2011 11:38:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

On a side note, but somewhat related. If you are using Firefox and think that the toolbars are ugly with a particular skin, you can use the Personas add on to completely change the way they look. There are a few really good ones out there. The cool thing is that you can just mouseover a Persona to see what it would look like before you even apply it.

Find them here:  http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/

Obviously, if your skinning, you want to make sure you can read everything without a Persona applied, but they can make everything look so much nicer. I prefer the solid color ones over the 'busy' ones so it's less distracting, but there are so many to choose from that you might spend a while finding the perfect one.

July 20, 2011 2:46:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Xiandi,
The Plus and Minus Buttons and the Sync button do not use the toolbar buttons for the image. Those use the standard button in the Edit Button Controls section, Check your settings for those there.

That fixed that.  Thank you!

Quoting Xiandi,
Obviously, if your skinning, you want to make sure you can read everything without a Persona applied, but they can make everything look so much nicer. I prefer the solid color ones over the 'busy' ones so it's less distracting, but there are so many to choose from that you might spend a while finding the perfect one.

I'll look into your persona idea once I get this fit for distribution; it is illegible at this state:

The grey, it seems, is coming from the way a setting was set in my system colors.  Changing that to my buttery color made many other things illegible; changing it to black will do.  That's a workaround.  I don't know how anyone else's system will see it before fiddling.  Unless you have any suggestions, I'm going to move on to the next section.

Thanks again, Xiandi!

Peace,

Dave

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
July 22, 2011 9:49:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi, all;

Over the last couple of days, I keep coming back to the same thing.  I can't find why my popup and favorites menus load into the preview window in SKS, but none of my Windows applications display them.  Backgrounds, menu items, and text color and font all look as I want them to in that preview, but when I open something like Windows Explorer, or IE8, I just see the defaults.  Other changes to other elements that I've made since that page are working just fine.  I'm using the same background image I used for the background of the all programs list of the start menu which has always worked.  Am I missing something obvious?

Peace,

Dave

July 23, 2011 8:09:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, in IE8, the favorites menu background and mouseover will not skin, but the other menus should (like when you click on 'file' in the toolbar). You menus in explorer should be skinning. Check in the extras tab for those menus and see if the "use flat menus" option is enabled. If it is, disable it.

July 24, 2011 12:12:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi there!

Both of those options in extra settings are disabled.  At some point this evening, I noticed that the rt. click menus were skinning with my wood background and frame in Photoshop, but the drop down menus are still white in PS and in Firefox.  Since your message, I checked the drop downs in Explorer; they're skinning properly now, too!  I wore Pressurized again, but this time, the grunged version; the drop downs in PS and Firefox are that sort of raspberry color, but don't have the grunged texture on them.

I'm confused, I think.  Where are those dropdown boxes and text color & fonts set?  Did you do that in WB, or in system colors?  If the latter, I had no idea that WB carried those aspects of a skin in the WBA Package.

Also, do you have any clue yet why those margins of my buttons are often broken?  It's not just in FF, it's also happening in SKS and PS.  The image in post 228 above shows what 6 of those buttons look like when lined up on a toolbar without any borders on any of their sides.

Peace,

Dave

July 24, 2011 3:42:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For the unskinnable menus in PS, you will need to set those colors in the colors section. They are going to be the Menu, Menu Text, Menubar and Menu Highlight colors. Just set them to colors that are really close to the colors you used in the skinned menus.

As far as your buttons go, I think I would need to see what you did in order to find out what is going on there. If you are willing, you can send me the blind and I will look it over and let you know here what the solution is. Do you still have my email address?

July 24, 2011 7:36:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think I have your correct email.  I tried to send the file, received an error message before the message left my machine, sent a test message which looked like it went through.  Cleaned the WBA to reduce it's size a bit, seemed to send.  Let me know if you didn't get these 2 messages, and I'll figure out what to do next.

Thank you,

Dave

July 24, 2011 8:10:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I got them. Need a few minutes to see what's going on.

July 24, 2011 9:07:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I cannot duplicate that button problem, they look just fine on my machine. I don't know why they are doing that on yours.

July 24, 2011 9:22:50 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was hoping you wouldn't say that in a way; if you could duplicate it, it could be fixed.  At least this way, though, I can be a little more confident that others aren't going to see it.  Thanks so much for taking the time to look.

Peace,

Dave

July 27, 2011 9:20:29 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Are y'all drawing the toolbar icons in the Explorer and IE6 section by hand?  The examples I've looked at are pretty spectacular.

Peace,

Dave

July 27, 2011 11:46:16 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I really doubt there is anyone out there still using IE6, but I skin them anyway just because they are there. You can probably get away with not doing those.

As for the rest of them, you can make them from scratch if you like, or use the the custom shape tool and apply whatever filters or styles to them. I usually use the shape tool for some and hand make the ones where I can't find a suitable shape for them.

July 27, 2011 2:56:16 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Xiandi,
use the the custom shape tool and apply whatever filters or styles to them

Is this in the Icon Developer?  I can't find which of the 4 doors lead me to where these sets of icons are found if so.

Peace,

Dave

July 27, 2011 3:13:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MallyMcGinnis,
Is this in the Icon Developer?
No, in Photoshop.

Using the shape tool makes for a much cleaner edge.

July 27, 2011 3:34:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oooohhh!  I see!  I've only used that tool to draw the predefined shapes that come with PS.  This'll be fun!  Thanks!

July 28, 2011 7:26:21 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting MallyMcGinnis,
This'll be fun! Thanks!

LMAO!

never thought of doing toolbar icons as "fun".........more like a pain in the ass

July 28, 2011 1:17:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Heh heh, well, what I meant about being fun was learning something totally new to me about PS.  In researching the shape tool, I found I needed to know more about the pen tool, too, so am following that tutorial now.  As far as the icons themselves go, I generally like little tedious jobs like that.  We'll see though; there are a lot of them.

Peace,

Dave

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.