Game of Thrones

By on April 7, 2011 2:06:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1089

So who has been keeping up with this?

As some of you know, the concept for the family tree in War of Magic was inspired by this series. Great series of books.

103 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 7, 2011 2:57:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I love the book series and look forward to the HBO series as well. Problem is I dont have HBO.  I may get HBO just so I can see this series starting April 17th.  I wonder if HULU or Netflix will carry it sortly after?

April 7, 2011 3:00:45 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I saw advertisements for it, and will most likely watch it when it debuts next weekend.  It has been so long since I read the books though that the show will seem mostly new to me. 

Maybe a slight tangent, but mentioning the show made me remember Rome.  I kind of miss that show. 

April 7, 2011 3:05:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really liked the first two books but already on the third book I felt that the series started to suffer from a Wheel of Time effect: Too many characters being tracked too closely. It's just taking a bit too long for my taste for something to actually happen.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
April 7, 2011 3:18:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

.... as in waiting for the book to get to the bit that gets interesting.. or to wait for the next book to get written (nevermind published)?

will it get to a situation where the book has to catch up with tv shows? that'll be funny.

April 7, 2011 4:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I happen to catch the first 15 mins preview and was impressed. It really did remind me of the books.  It's on HBO web site: http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html if you want to take a look.

I doubt it will be on Hulu or Netflix anytime soon since HBO has stated they want to make premium contact that you can only find from them. 

I also agree the third book was where things started to get convoluted.  In the forth book the only character I really cared about was Ayra.  THe other characters/plot lines just seemed like a set up for future events.

April 7, 2011 4:44:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've been hitting the HBO site almost daily.

April 7, 2011 7:11:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm super stoked for this show to come out. If it's half as good as Rome was and tries to stick to the book somewhat I will be one happy camper. The stuff on HBO's website makes me giddy like a schoolgirl.

April 7, 2011 9:34:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

the concept for the family tree in War of Magic was inspired by this series. Great series of books.

YES!! I have. Funny, I commented on your "Merlin" post before I saw this. I loaned my tattered copy of GOT to a friend. Alas, she likes the "Twilight" series I suggested this series of books.--much more character depth, sweeping epic landscape, lore etc...anybody who has read knows. She can't stop reading and talking about it. I chuckled when I ran into a NPC named Joffrey. the very name evokes animus--I was a huge Eddard fan. I know that's why I purchased Elemental to  begin with. It sounded like Song of Fire and Ice but in game form. I think that is why--despite the glitches---I am still playing. 

Your passion for gaming, creativity and veiled reference is TRULY appreciated!

April 7, 2011 9:39:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting 1Tiberius1,
Maybe a slight tangent, but mentioning the show made me remember Rome. I kind of miss that show.

Not a tangent really---that show was badass---imo ---a mirror of the Martin's world--hopefully HBO puts that passion into Thrones. This is a major commitment i think---they have to stick with it like the Sopranos --or like Battle Star Galactica--great series/characters/plot. That would be my only concern--they gotta finish it!

April 7, 2011 9:40:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting alaknebs,
.... as in waiting for the book to get to the bit that gets interesting.. or to wait for the next book to get written (nevermind published)?

yet another concern...curious to see how it plays out

April 8, 2011 1:58:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Phylast57,

Quoting 1Tiberius1, reply 2Maybe a slight tangent, but mentioning the show made me remember Rome. I kind of miss that show.

Not a tangent really---that show was badass---imo ---a mirror of the Martin's world--hopefully HBO puts that passion into Thrones. This is a major commitment i think---they have to stick with it like the Sopranos --or like Battle Star Galactica--great series/characters/plot. That would be my only concern--they gotta finish it!

Wow. Real life mirrors Martin's books? I've read them, but never realized they were that good 

Regarding the finishing, I don't think that's gonna happen. There's only four books published of the series, with three more planned. And writing began in 1991 with latest book published in 2005...

April 8, 2011 12:26:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There is great coverage at www.winter-is-coming.net of the HBO series.  The Making of Game of Thrones special that aired on Wednesday is online now too:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/04/game-of-thrones-making-of-25-minute.html

April 8, 2011 2:50:32 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting karazax,
There is great coverage at www.winter-is-coming.net of the HBO series.  The Making of Game of Thrones special that aired on Wednesday is online now too:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/04/game-of-thrones-making-of-25-minute.html

That one was different from a snippet I saw on the show before.  And I must say, very nice indeed.  It brought back a rush of memories about the books themselves, and pretty much cemented me watching the premiere on the 17th(18th for Europeans?). 

April 8, 2011 10:04:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vallu751,
Real life mirrors Martin's books?

I was referring to the duality of humans--their virtues and failings. I have that many work places reflect the best and worst of human nature. I know I have encountered and Lannister or two. I thought Martin represented that well. I thought the series was great. Hard to put down.

April 8, 2011 10:07:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Vallu751,
Regarding the finishing, I don't think that's gonna happen. There's only four books published of the series, with three more planned. And writing began in 1991 with latest book published in 2005...

yeah...wishful thinking, I know but if they did Lord of the Rings...who knows?

April 8, 2011 11:22:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The 5th book finally has an official release date of July 12th:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

April 10, 2011 11:37:50 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

New trailer out emphasizing the mystery of Jon Arryn's death:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T84d-lRNLs&feature=youtu.be

April 12, 2011 8:31:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't wait to watch it. It is gonna be probably the best series HBO has done in the past while.

Will have to reread the series because Martin is taking so long releasing his next books but oh well. Have to recommend Steven

Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen to you guys. He just finished his main story line (10 books) and released four novellas about two nasty necromancers and the co-creator of the world Ian Cameron Esslemont has released four books set in the main story. There are six more slated books about Anomander Rake and Toblakai (major characters that are awesome) each in a trilogy. This is awesome stuff.

Witness.

April 12, 2011 10:28:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gotta re-read Game of Thrones now... though I have plenty of time before the DVD release, I'm sure. In the meantime, seeing The Wall in that 15-minute preview was an awesome experience.

April 13, 2011 7:28:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ton of postive reviews including an A- from Entertainment Weekly!

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/the-reviews-keep-on-coming/

April 16, 2011 5:46:52 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

HBO released their new Game of Thrones Viewer Guide, complete with interactive map and family trees:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/#!/map/

April 16, 2011 11:56:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A buddy of mine with a big apartment just bought HBO so he could watch it, and we are having a big gathering to watch it tomorrow and hopefully every night it comes on.

April 19, 2011 6:38:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Premiere was great.  HBO announced they have renewed for season 2 already!  http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/04/hbo-renews-game-of-thrones-for-second-season/

April 19, 2011 8:55:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting karazax,
Premiere was great.

Yes, it was but did they have to do a Morlock rip off for the Others?? Everything else was so frickin awesome---seemed odd that they would lean in the HG Wells direction...seemed anachronistic

April 19, 2011 9:24:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't wait until this comes out on DVD.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.