What Defragprogram do you recommend?

Have tried a few....

By on March 28, 2011 8:55:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Campaigner

Join Date 12/2004
+13

I've used Perfect Disk, Ultra Defrag III and am now using O&O Defrag Professional Edition 12.5.

I like it since they have the COMPLETE type of defrag that sets the harddrive (works best for the systemdrive) into three zones.

Bootfiles in the first zone.

Installed stuff in zone two.

Everything else in zone three.

This is supposed to be better than what other defraggers do but I'm not sure....a defrag takes like 30min but it's never 'done'. It also hangs often.

In the zone options there's this option of putting every file that's bigger then x into zone 3 and so I've put it at 1GB (default was 512MB). Hope it was the right choice but I'm a bit afraid that I'll mess things up.

I used Ultra Defrag III before but that program had many options which I never understood nor did I WANT to take the time to understand everything about it.

My systemdrive has lots of games and programs installed and that's the drive that's important.

53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 28, 2011 9:03:17 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Smart Defrag or Defraggler.

March 28, 2011 9:17:04 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I almost never defrag my drives.
I have Tuneup Utilities and i think it defrags your system when your idle for a longer time.
Anyway i have seen the defrag once in a year active.

I have Win on a seperate drive and with it only few progs that i need for working.
I keep windows and -Games and  everything else always seperated and always have an eye on the free space on my C drive.
Also i always check that the drive free Space never drops below 20%

March 28, 2011 9:35:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Diskeeper 2011.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 28, 2011 9:38:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Auslogics Disk Defrag

March 28, 2011 9:57:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I use Auslogics Disk Defrag once a month. Been using it for a few years now.

March 28, 2011 10:57:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think at the moment the best defrag progs(shareware)are O&O Defrag Professional and Diskeeper 2011.I use O&O Defrag Professional since long time ,and never got problems.So,as you have installed the version 12.5(released in 2009),I suggest you to update to O&O Defrag 14 Professional(last version).

March 28, 2011 11:13:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanksf for your advices. But why do you recommend those particular programs?

• You've been using them and like'em?
  • Your techiefriend recommends them?
  • You ran a google search and are trying to look smart?
March 28, 2011 11:19:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I use Iobit Smart Defrag.  The new version 2.0 can auto defrag in the background on multiple drives, as well as perform a boot time defrag.  And it's free!

I also use Defraggler to target specific files, but just for kicks!  

March 28, 2011 11:20:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Auslogics Disk Defrag

I use it and like it because it's easy to use.  I found it myself by going to MajorGeeks several years ago.

March 28, 2011 11:27:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Recently started using Smart Defrag 2......

March 28, 2011 11:38:36 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

mst Defrag, once you set it, you can forget it.  It runs in the background using very little resources.  Been using it for many years and it runs on everything from Windows 2000 on up.  Best of all, it's only $9.90 USD for the home edition.

http://www.mstsoftware.com/

March 28, 2011 12:32:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

PerfectDisk. The best defrag program i've ever used.

March 28, 2011 1:09:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Diskeeper Pro Premier 2011. Not exactly cheap, but once installed you have to worry about anything anymore. Runs unnoticeable in the background, rare hard disk access, but keep my 2 internal drives of each 500 GB and my external USB drive of 1 TB defragmented almost perfectly.

March 28, 2011 1:14:21 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Smart Defrag or Defraggler.

Second that.

March 28, 2011 1:20:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

iobit smart defrag and as a side auslogic but prefer smart defrag as it does work in the background and has an option to optimize your drive(s) putting frequently used programs up front and keeping them all together instead of willy nilly all over the place.

March 28, 2011 1:20:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
Recently started using Smart Defrag 2......

Same... Relatively quick and painless. Also (that magic word) free.

March 28, 2011 1:23:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Been using Auslogics Free version for quite some time & quite happy with it except for the lack of continuous background defragging and boot defrag option.  Just switched over last week to Smart Defrag 2, which has both, and I'm very pleased so far.

I've read a number of articles by people I respect indicating that defragging is a waste of time, but somehow it seems like the right thing to do and I can't help myself.

March 28, 2011 1:24:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Uvah the newest version of Auslogics Disk Defrag has the option to optimize the drives now.

March 28, 2011 1:42:07 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I maybe defragged once. Am I really suppose to be defragging? shit!

March 28, 2011 1:46:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting PlainJane55,
I maybe defragged once. Am I really suppose to be defragging? shit!

After awhile a fragmented drive will slow your system down.  How often to defrag depends on several things.  One is do you do alot of installing and unistalling of software/programs?

March 28, 2011 2:37:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Uvah the newest version of Auslogics Disk Defrag has the option to optimize the drives now.

Having tested quiet all defrag programs (shareware and freeware) since a few years now, Auslogics Disk Defrag is the one for me which is the fastest one (for very far) with bringing a very good defrag result

March 28, 2011 3:12:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,

Second time trying to comment.

I know Philly. I have that one. Update not too long ago. Cnet keeps me up to date on new versions.

As far as how often. Once a month is the norm. Smart defrag or Auslogic's option to optimize your drive will keep your programs together and not have files put back in different locations when you close out of them.

March 28, 2011 3:16:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I'm with the Doc! Smart Defrag from IOBIT. Just what the Doc ordered, Free, smart, optimizes, small fingerprint. New version is out also! Defrag early & often as you will see the difference.

March 28, 2011 3:54:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Daiwa,
I've read a number of articles by people I respect indicating that defragging is a waste of time, but somehow it seems like the right thing to do and I can't help myself.

I have heard (but not tested) that Windows 7 does not need it.  But XP still does, and Vista kind of does (Vista needs a lobotomy!).  I read the rationale for the statement, but I do not buy it.

One thing I have read is that the SSDs do not need it and it is actually harmful.  I agree.  if you are using an SSD, do not defrag.  The purpose of defragging is to make the drive work less (fewer rotations to load stuff).  SSDs do not rotate or have reading heads, but they do have limited writes, so it is counter productive.

March 28, 2011 5:11:36 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Not sure I can point to where I've read it, but that opinion (don't bother defragging) was voiced long before Win7's release.  I've heard similar advice about reg cleaning, which of course hasn't stopped me cleaning my reg, either.

EDIT:  It is likely, from what I've read, that regular enemas (deleting temp files, cookies, etc.) do far more for performance than either defragging or reg cleaning.  So I do that, too.  There should be a file cleanup tool named High Colonic.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001031   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.