Complete beginner at customizing Windows needs help!

By on March 14, 2011 1:32:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Bodhesatva

Join Date 03/2011
+3

Hello all,

I've just begun to customize windows by myself, and have virtually no experience with it. I am not, however, a complete novice at all computer tasks and learn quickly, so I don't think I need to be taught the basics (i.e. the classic "is your computer turned on?")

My first goa is to find out which stardock application does what. IconPackager is self explanatory; I've already downloaded it and begun using it. My next goal is to change the COLOR of my start menu and windows backgrounds -- that is, when I open up my HDD and navigate files, the default background is pure white. As is the background of the start menu (the border can be changed by basic windows personalization, but the menu itself doesn't seem to be).

How can I change the color of my start menu/windows? Is that achievable in Windows alone, or do I need a Stardock app to accomplish this task? If so, which?

I have a good list of other questions, but I think I'll start here. Asking them all in a single post would be far too overwhelming. Thanks in advance!

20 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 14, 2011 1:42:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You will get lots of answers, but let me put some resources you should checkout that will give you lots of informations.

http://wiki.wincustomize.com/wiki/Main_Page

Video demos: http://www.youtube.com/windowsthemes

http://islanddog.impulsedriven.net/article/371174/WindowBlinds_7_Visual_Walkthrough

March 14, 2011 1:59:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums
You're gonna love it!
March 14, 2011 2:05:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would recommend ObjectDesktop as the biggest bang for the buck, but no matter what, you're going to have a steep learning curve.

Luckily for all of us this is a great community of people who love to help, and who create things to enhance the computing experience...from the developers at Stardock to the artists who create.... it's all good.

If you're interested, look over here:  http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

And read about it, look at the links which Island Dog has provided you, and go through the Galleries. They are on the Home page under "Explore".

And Welcome!  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 14, 2011 3:18:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

if you want to customize windows you'll need Skin Studio AND windowblinds.

March 14, 2011 7:35:07 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks a great deal for the replies guys: I'll get started with ObjectDesktop, Skin Studio and WindowBlinds first. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions, and I'll keep everyone up to date as I gradually master this process. I'm looking forward to it.

March 14, 2011 7:50:48 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ObjectDesktop has those programs included.

Might I suggest you look at this:

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/information_plus.asp

*edit: Pasted the wrong link! http://www.stardock.com/products/odnt/

is the link that should have gotten pasted. Sorry.

March 14, 2011 8:46:38 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ObjectDesktop has those programs included.

OD+ has windowblinds and skinstudio included? didn't see that from the link???

March 14, 2011 9:58:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

DrJBHL gave you the link to Object Dock+ a different program, it doesn't have WindowBlinds and SkinStudio.  Object Desktop does have those.  Object Desktop includes a large selection of windows customization tools and is a great value.

Object Desktop has:

Features

and more....

Object Dock is a standalone program.

March 14, 2011 11:33:04 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Welcome to the asylum, Bodhesatva.  It's a lot like the Hotel California.  But we have plenty of   & .

March 15, 2011 6:01:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

& = YUM!

March 15, 2011 6:39:10 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DrJBHL gave you the link to Object Dock+ a different program, it doesn't have WindowBlinds and SkinStudio. Object Desktop does have those. Object Desktop includes a large selection of windows customization tools and is a great value.

I think if I was just starting out that this would be a pretty good deal and provide access to skinning more aspects than I currently do. unfortunately, already having sks and wb makes spending the full price to buy them again with the additions, a little pricy.

also isn't object desktop essentially an annual subscription. I keep getting notices asking if I want to renew when I open up impulse.

guess it would be nice if there was a less costly incentive to purchase od for a person that already has purchased sks and wb.

March 15, 2011 11:00:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

guess it would be nice if there was a less costly incentive to purchase od for a person that already has purchased sks and wb.

I already have paid for a subscription, sks and wb. I'll go $14.95 to add objectdock to my subscription page, seriously.

1st bump

March 15, 2011 7:54:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Alright, I've purchased ObjectDesktop in its entirety. I have enormous amounts of disposable income, what do I care.

I'm moving along quite nicely! I've significantly customized my task bar, start menu, icons, etc. I've also downloaded Rainmeter and begun tinkering with that. It's also worth mentioning I'm running a tri-monitor set up, although only two at once: I have a dual monitor desk that also connects to my Plasma TV. Just in case there are any dual-monitor-specific customizations someone can recommend, or Large-Screen-Display customizations.

I have a new question: is there any way to disable live folders? I find I don't really like them aesthetically, and given that I already know where everything is in my PC, I don't need them. Thanks again for the great advice and warm reception, guys.

March 15, 2011 8:00:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

And another addendum: why isn't my forum avatar showing up? I've uploaded it and everything

Edit: Oh. It just doesn't update until you post again. That solves that problem, then! 1 down, 500 to go.

March 16, 2011 7:15:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,

guess it would be nice if there was a less costly incentive to purchase od for a person that already has purchased sks and wb.

I already have paid for a subscription, sks and wb. I'll go $14.95 to add objectdock to my subscription page, seriously.

2nd bump

March 17, 2011 4:00:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Bodhesatva...any time you need to dispose of that disposable income...I run a small recycling business on the side just for that...you know...keep the planet clean and all that. And I'd be more than happy to help you out there. Oh...and did I mention it's a free service!

And I agree with you regarding the "Live Folders"....would be nice if they were the same as they were on XP.

March 18, 2011 7:43:40 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Send disposalbe income to BUKS4Me@ GrEeDySeLfDoTcOmM. Free of charge of course.

March 18, 2011 8:47:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have enormous amounts of disposable income
Dispose of some of that my way 

March 29, 2011 2:16:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

your way? what do u mean??

March 29, 2011 4:21:14 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I keep forgetting that everyone does not talk like me, lol. What I said means send some of that disposable income to me. Just messing with ya.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.