drag files to dock objects? change size of system tray icons?

By on February 23, 2011 4:15:20 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

abt2

Join Date 02/2011

Hi,

I am new to ObjectDock. Currently I am running V2 beta.

I would like to drop files onto a docked application. i.e. drop an MP3 file onto foobar2000. The MP3 file should then be opened in foobar2000. How do I configure this?

Is it possible to change the size of the icons that come from the system tray? I have managed to change the size of my application icons, but the tray icons always stay the same (ugly) size.

Any help appreciated!

11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 23, 2011 9:51:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ObjectDock 2 is out of beta, so you can upgrade to the latest stable build, either through Impulse or the ObjectDock page. ObjectDock 2 doesn't allow for dropping files onto launchers to launch the app with the file as input. This was removed to avoid confusion between launching with the file and adding the file to the dock. Unfortunately, there isn't a setting in ObjectDock that allows for fine-tuning of system tray icon size.

March 29, 2011 12:35:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Dewie,
ObjectDock 2 doesn't allow for dropping files onto launchers to launch the app with the file as input. This was removed to avoid confusion between launching with the file and adding the file to the dock.

Well, that's irritating.

I just upgraded to V2 and to my surprise found that such basic functionality removed.

It works by default in the OS, objectDock is suppose to enhance my launching/operating options, not cripple them.

To me dragging a file on an Icon to open it with this program is as intuitive as using a knife to spread jam.

ObjectDock that is at the heart of my file organization, please allow this behavior or at least the user choose it as an option!

I guess I will have to go back to 1.9.

-reillet

March 29, 2011 1:05:27 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There's this magical way of opening files I discovered! It's called "double-click"! And in Objectdock you can even "Single-click"! It's incredible, you last century draggers should try it sometime instead of complaining that OD doesn't perform such a stupid task.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 29, 2011 1:51:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hey future man, I would'nt thought such great advice would even be possible, thanks for your constructive thoughts.

I often use maybe 3 or 5 different applications to edit a same file, so default file association might not be the one I need right now.

In this situation, dragging the file on the icon is much quicker than opening the application I need, then use it's internal file browser or drop the file in it, etc.

It all depends on the way you work and the volume of files you deal with everyday.

March 29, 2011 11:32:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The hideous display of the system tray icons has also bugged me. I chose to not view them all together just because it makes my desktop look like a joke. You can shrink them but they still look unappealing.

March 30, 2011 12:04:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting reillet,
I often use maybe 3 or 5 different applications to edit a same file, so default file association might not be the one I need right now.

right click > open with

problem solved with 2 clicks.

And thanks for the nickname... FUTURE MAN... I'm gonna go with that, I like it.

March 30, 2011 10:26:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RPGFX,

right click > open with

problem solved with 2 clicks.

I find "Open with" rather cumbersome and certainly not an ideal method.

You first have to search in the crowded context menu to find the "open with" command, then if it's a common extension you have to sift through a rather large list of randomly selected program by windows which may not contain the one you need.

I mean it's not a difficult thing to do, but after repeating such action a gazillion time it's possible you want to do it another way.

Dragging the file on a nice big dock icon may come to mind.

Untitled1

Untitled2

August 5, 2011 4:10:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Please bring this feature back (disable it as default if you like). In my workflow I very often have to open different file types likes JPEGs and PSDs in Photoshop at the same time and not being able to do this by dragging the files to the Objectdock icon is a real PITA.

Thank you!

January 8, 2013 6:19:08 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

ObjectDock v2 is probably the abandoned project. I regret that i bought v2, because i must return to old slowest version 1.9x, because what? Because I can not drag and drop files into program icon. This is one of the main feature, whose i use during my job.
It is very sad, that such good software like OB is no longer develop.

May 15, 2013 5:51:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Now in version 2.1 drag&drop files into icons working, but... We can drag&drop only one file.
In the old object dock 1.9x, it works much better because we can drag&drop more then one files.
In my opinion the best way to solve this is to add option to lock icons on dock and have posibility to drag&drop files into this lock sftware icons.

May 15, 2013 8:55:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting oskar0181,

Now in version 2.1 drag&drop files into icons working, but... We can drag&drop only one file.
In the old object dock 1.9x, it works much better because we can drag&drop more then one files.
In my opinion the best way to solve this is to add option to lock icons on dock and have posibility to drag&drop files into this lock sftware icons.

I will pass this suggestion along.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.