and who have I pissed off/on now.

By on February 19, 2011 9:02:33 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

gmc2

Join Date 11/2003
+274

I just uploaded a blind which had sufficient downloads to be included on "yesterday's most popular" but it isn't.

this isn't the first time and since I don't hear any muttering in the background I assume that this may be happening only to me, so yes, I'm beginning to take this a little personal.

32 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 19, 2011 9:05:18 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Used to happen to me all the time gmc2, but I thought they had fixed that issue.  Guess not.

February 19, 2011 9:33:28 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

seem to be quite a few lil bugs around the place at the moment.... some people's Last seen/Last active is outa whack too....

February 19, 2011 9:40:27 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think it's something to do with the site.

Don't feel left out though...I haven't even gotten a mention in this week/weekend in skinnin' this year. I figured I pissed off someone as well.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 19, 2011 10:18:41 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cool. while I'm sorry/happy to hear that others are having similiar issues it does take me out of paranoid mode.

February 19, 2011 10:24:26 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Happens to me all the time too....... in most of the sections. Weird......

February 19, 2011 10:55:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting gmc2,
cool. while I'm sorry/happy to hear that others are having similiar issues it does take me out of paranoid mode.

You do nice work, no reason to be paranoid ever.

February 19, 2011 1:46:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Yeah my screensaver often has enough downloads to appear in "yeserday's most popular" but never does.

"Ice Crystal" is name of that screensaver.

February 19, 2011 1:54:42 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Those statistics rarely are accurate anymore. The yesterday and all time are reversed when you click to view the images. Sometimes it is late in the evening of the next day before the stats actually show the previous days totals correctly. This place has more bugs than a NY hotel! The filters no longer work and when I manually set it to sixty, the images change. Sure wish they would get things working as they should. Browsing here is a disaster and no longer productive for me.

February 19, 2011 2:04:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Pissed off is better than pissed on. Unless urine to that.

February 19, 2011 4:11:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I R holdin all ur popular's hostage till adequate pizza ransoms have been met.

Seriously tho, I think gremlins are messin with site..

February 19, 2011 4:21:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Seriously tho, I think gremlins are messin with site..

That and some of the lists are based on registered user downloads to make the list then ordered by total downloads. So a skin with more registered user downloads but less total downloads would displace your skin out of the list.

February 19, 2011 5:01:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Is it really that important? Kind of trivial, don't you think?

February 19, 2011 6:15:02 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

gosh, it would seem that one download should equal one download. they don't do that, really?

February 19, 2011 6:28:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RPGFX,

I do not consider all of the nasty bugs trivial. For a site of this magnitude you would expect things to work as they should and not constantly have all of these issues. It gets a bit old and trying.

February 19, 2011 6:51:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RPGFX,

Can't we just enjoy? And skin just to skin?

February 19, 2011 7:22:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,

Quoting RPGFX, reply 12Is it really that important? Kind of trivial, don't you think?

Can't we just enjoy? And skin just to skin?

Sure can.... but the site DOES sell subscriptions, and just ignoring the bugs doesn't really mesh well with the nature of skinners, which is to be bugged by the little imperfections.

February 19, 2011 7:35:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Kill the gremlins and make the bugs go squish.

February 19, 2011 7:42:39 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Let me address a few issues here:

First, nobody has "control" over what skin shows up in popular downloads and such.  It's database driven and the issue was fixed recently.  If it just came back then that's a new issue to look at.  If your skin doesn't show up in whatever list on WC, it's nothing "personal".

Ignoring bugs isn't happening either, we have a thread here dedicated to reporting them - http://forums.wincustomize.com/404706.  Many have been fixed already and the others haven't been addressed yet because the exact cause of the issue hasn't been tracked down.

February 19, 2011 8:02:33 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I do notice that the numbers have changed, I take it that it doesn't automatically change when the new count starts. what time might that be, one wonders?

February 19, 2011 8:30:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Like ID said...it's data based...and as such is subject to quirks now and then and not personal. I seriously doubt they would do something like that on the site.

For me...I skin...I upload...and hopefully someone likes what I've done and makes use of it. Downloads for me are just an indicator that people are using it...and I know the counts aren't 100% accurate. I don't pay much attention to whether or not I end up on the most popular or whatever list as long as someones using what I created...that's only one reason why i skin and the other being because I enjoy doing it...I would think that would be the most important thing anyone would be concerned about...people using your creations...not some list...or the most popular chart for a short time...which also isn't accurate...but that's just me.

February 19, 2011 8:39:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Island Dog,
Ignoring bugs isn't happening either, we have a thread here dedicated to reporting them - http://forums.wincustomize.com/404706.  Many have been fixed already and the others haven't been addressed yet because the exact cause of the issue hasn't been tracked down.

I need to clarify what I meant in my post in regards to the word ignore.  I didn't mean that I believed the WC staff was ignoring the bugs.  What I meant was that as a skinner, it's hard to ignore bugs--to "just enjoy, and skin to skin" -- because at least in my experience, creating a skin is all about working out the bugs; once they're noticed, it turns into a compulsion to fix them.  I would want someone to point out my errors so I can correct them.

February 19, 2011 8:50:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

When a DB server chucks a wobbly and gets kicked back into line it'll be out of kilter with all the others who were innocently minding their own business and plodding on regardless.....

It won't be uncommon to see statistics all arse-about...eg something may have more downloads/hits than another but shows lower in a list.

Sooner or later it all gets resynched.... and generally no deaths are reported [and any bodies are hidden]....

Not so much a 'bug' as it is a 'bugger'...

I spent all yesterday trying to DL a game I'd purchased....wasn't huge...600meg....so many times it got to 100% then totally disappeared.  Even tried it via Virtual Machine....still no luck. [Nothing to do with SD though.... Third Wire].  It clearly was a server drama...as I eventually succeeded overnight.

It happens...

February 19, 2011 9:46:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

chucks a wobbly

You have such a way with words...lol!!  Not sure what that means, but it made me giggle. 

February 19, 2011 9:58:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Not sure what that means, but it made me giggle.

Hey...a breeze up your shorts makes you giggle.

February 19, 2011 10:13:43 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RPGFX,

Technically, everything is trivial. Since in the end, nothing really matters!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.