Won't install Suites

By on February 8, 2011 11:26:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

carolyn_r_55

Join Date 03/2007

Since the recent update, although they show as available, nothing is changed when a suite is installed.  They show up as being available and I can install the wallpaper, windowblinds, etc. through MyColors or Windowblinds and individual programs, however the Theme manager will only install the Windows original theme and no others.  I uninstalled the application, rebooted and re-installed but it is still not working correctly. Running Windows 7, 64 bit.

23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 8, 2011 12:01:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

carolyn_r_55 you might want to take a look at the Settings in Theme Manager and make sure that the box is checked for 'I want to see advanced options when applying suites'.  With that checked you should get a drop down menu so you can choose what skins to apply when you select 'Apply This Theme'.  Hopefully that fixes the problem.

February 8, 2011 8:38:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for the suggestion. I had already set the advanced options since I unchecked the clock and weather, but windowblinds and wallpaper were checked.  The icons did change and it appeared that it was working to apply the other parts of the theme, however nothing changed.  Onliy the default Windows theme would apply, but none of the other themes.

February 8, 2011 9:06:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

One other thing you could check.  Open Impulse and go to the My Software tab, put the mouse over Theme Manager, hit the shift key and click the right mouse button at the same time and then verifly the installation of Theme Manager. 

If you can apply the skins manually the only thing left is the installation of Theme Manager might be bad.  I know you said you uninstalled and rebooted but did you run a clean up program like CCleaner.  Sometimes just doing the uninstall leaves stuff behind.  Worth a try.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
February 8, 2011 9:49:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It was installed correctly, but I did another uninstall and used CCleaner, reinstalled and it's the same problem.  The most I can change is the icons and wallpaper (although I suspect that the wallpaper size is also incorrect no matter what I select).  I'm wondering if there is a .ini file that needs to be deleted somewhere.  I guess I'll just use the individual programs rather than Theme Manager to make changes.  Thanks for the suggestions.

February 8, 2011 10:10:16 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I would send a email to support@stardock.com it's possible you have found an unknown bug.

February 8, 2011 10:18:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

You're not the only one experiencing this, carolyn_r_55.  I'm getting the same thing. 

February 8, 2011 11:13:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting k10w3,
You're not the only one experiencing this, carolyn_r_55.  I'm getting the same thing. 
And I make it a threesome.

Samething here, used advanced options and CCleaner after uninstall, rebooting before each step, still no love.

Windows 7 64

February 9, 2011 7:58:08 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hello,

I have had the same problem through multiple formats. I think it worked for me on Vista, but not on Windows 7.

Unfortunalty I recently purchased Oxidized and the only way you can get it is by applying it in theme manager. I've already contacted support. They want me to send a report that has a ton of PC info with registration codes. To me, that seems dangerous, so I won't send it.

Chuck,

A program is a device used to convert data into error messages

February 9, 2011 8:17:53 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting chuckve4,
Hello,

I have had the same problem through multiple formats. I think it worked for me on Vista, but not on Windows 7.

Unfortunalty I recently purchased Oxidized and the only way you can get it is by applying it in theme manager. I've already contacted support. They want me to send a report that has a ton of PC info with registration codes. To me, that seems dangerous, so I won't send it.

Chuck,

A program is a device used to convert data into error messages

Chuck, if you want a solution... I think you should send what they ask. I don't see anything dangerous about it. You aren't sending financial information.

February 9, 2011 10:42:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Good to know that I'm not the only one - I never know if I just screwed something up or if the problem is a bug with the software.

February 9, 2011 12:00:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just out of curosity is it just one or all Suites that won't apply using Theme Manager?

February 9, 2011 3:59:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Philly0381,
Just out of curosity is it just one or all Suites that won't apply using Theme Manager?

All suites.  If I hit the apply button, Theme manager tries to apply the theme (the cursor shows it's working in background), and then nothing happens.  If I hit the apply button a second time, it will apply the wallpaper and that's it.  In the MyColors themes, it will create a folder on the desktop labeled for the gadgets, but the short cut doesn't go anywhere.  When I tried to navigate to find the gadgets, they did not exist on my hard drive.  I downloaded the MyColors themes from Impulse, so they should be there, however they aren't.

I'm giving up on this one -- I can certainly apply the parts of a theme myself through their individual programs in a lot less time with 100% accuracy, than I would using Theme Manager.  Not once has this program functioned as advertised for me.  If I purchased it alone, I would be angry, but it's bundled in Object Desktop, so I'm just simply unimpressed, not offended.  No biggy. 

February 9, 2011 4:06:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There was a problem with the search function when you tried to build a Suite file that showed up the last update so this is probably another bug with it.  I wil give it a try and see what happens. 

February 9, 2011 4:23:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting k10w3,
Quoting Philly0381, reply 11Just out of curosity is it just one or all Suites that won't apply using Theme Manager?

All suites.  If I hit the apply button, Theme manager tries to apply the theme (the cursor shows it's working in background), and then nothing happens.  If I hit the apply button a second time, it will apply the wallpaper and that's it.  In the MyColors themes, it will create a folder on the desktop labeled for the gadgets, but the short cut doesn't go anywhere.  When I tried to navigate to find the gadgets, they did not exist on my hard drive.  I downloaded the MyColors themes from Impulse, so they should be there, however they aren't.

I'm giving up on this one -- I can certainly apply the parts of a theme myself through their individual programs in a lot less time with 100% accuracy, than I would using Theme Manager.  Not once has this program functioned as advertised for me.  If I purchased it alone, I would be angry, but it's bundled in Object Desktop, so I'm just simply unimpressed, not offended.  No biggy. 

Karen... you should open a ticket with SD Support on this. Thyere are lots of problems and MyColors might be part of it, and the way it uses WB files (shared).

February 9, 2011 4:38:37 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DrJBHL could be on to something.  I ran into the same problem trying to apply a Ankh and Gloss Burgundy.   Looks like something may be broke between My Colors and Theme Manager.

February 9, 2011 4:47:13 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

At the risk of embarrassing myself and sounding like a total noob, how do I open a ticket?

February 9, 2011 4:55:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Send an email to support@stardock.com

I went into the Stardock IRC channel and gave the link to this thread to support.

February 10, 2011 11:51:57 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've tried to reproduce this on two separate PCs, and was unable to do so. Can you please post your MyColors, WindowBlinds and ThemeManager versions? 

February 10, 2011 12:19:29 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Okay, I verified installaltion for MyColors, there was an update, WindowBlinds, there was an update, Theme Manager, okay.  I'll do those and come back. 

EDIT:  I think part of the problem may be the sequence of installing MyColors and WindowBlinds.  I updated both, rebooted and then verified installation again, WindowBlinds was okay but MyColors wasn't.  Seems the installation of these two programs was a known problem, which one do you install first.

February 10, 2011 2:05:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

As MyColors and WindowBlinds share files, verifying them back-to-back will require an update. I installed WindowBlinds, then installed MyColors.

February 10, 2011 5:11:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Dewie,
I've tried to reproduce this on two separate PCs, and was unable to do so. Can you please post your MyColors, WindowBlinds and ThemeManager versions? 

MyColors 2.70.500

WindowBlinds 7.2 (build 297 - Windows 7 Edition) - 64 bit OS

Theme Manager 4.00 release

I should note, that I uninstalled all of these programs, ran CCleaner, rebooted reinstalled them, this time in the order of Windowblinds first, theme manager second and MyColors third, and discovered the Winter MyColors theme installs without problem, but Gloss Mint, Music and Ankh are still failing to install the Windowblind and gadgets, however the wallpaper and icons from those suites do install now.

February 10, 2011 5:15:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK -- I got brave and decided to apply the MyColors themes through MyColors instead of Theme Manager, and everything works fine now. 

Thanks for the encouragement to prod me into trying something that I had given up on.

February 11, 2011 12:30:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For my machine which is Win 7, 64 bit

MyColors is version 2.70.500

Windowblinds 7.20a

Theme Manager 4.0

MyColors and Windowblinds work on their own as expected however when using MyColors, Fences has to be re-enabled,  Theme Manager - does not apply anything other than wallpaper,  Using MyColors though the Theme Manager, apply once gives me the skin, apply twice and the wallpaper shows up, apply three times and gadgets appear in a folder and my All Program list will not expand until I reboot.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.