"Live Free Or Die Hard" windowblinds theme

By on January 14, 2011 6:44:46 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

NODReedemer

Join Date 01/2011

OK, this is pretty cool. You all remember that Die Hard movie from like 3,5 years ago? You know, the - "Live Free or Die Hard" one? And you remember that guy called Matthew Farrell in the movie? Well, that dude had some pretty cool OS he used on his computer, that looked like this(screenshots from the movie):

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/3.png

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/2-2.png

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/1-2.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/170202884646bf387a7d829-3.jpg

So, I was wondering, is there anyone out there among you windowblinds skinners with a skill to make a theme like this for Windows 7? I bet it would be a very downloaded piece of software. Can someone do it? It doesn't look very complicated, as it is very simple, two color theme. I would've done it myself, but i don't have the necessary skills.

68 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 14, 2011 7:12:20 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It doesn't look very complicated, as it is very simple, two color theme. I would've done it myself, but i don't have the necessary skills.

I'm not a skinner, but building a WB is complicated, NODRedeemer. You could always pm one of the skinners to see if he/she would be interested, but your scree shots don't show much of the thing you wish to convey.

Perhaps a better screen shot might prove more inspiring?

January 14, 2011 8:11:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know it's complicated to make a theme, but this one doesn't have 3d animations or anything complexed in it. It is basically a two color theme.

I tried my best to find more pics, and explain how the theme should look like, so here they are:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/3.png

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/2-2.png

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/NodReedemer/1-2.jpg

You coud of course add some animations in it, and/or sounds, but it's optional.

Anyone interested in makng this?

January 14, 2011 8:22:42 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Looking at your 3.png, that dude could've used "Fences".

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 14, 2011 8:41:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting DrJBHL,
Looking at your 3.png, that dude could've used "Fences".

Maybe...Or maybe his entire "OS" is actually a video file made by the visual effects crew that played on the PC while the actor was pretending like he's using it. I'm really not sure aboout that. Anyway, it's a nice looking system.

Speaking of which, I forwarded this idea to several top skiners on this website, which may bring us a new premium skin after some time.

January 14, 2011 8:54:58 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi there..... I got your PM, but this is not something I would be interested in making. I made a skin in similar colours back in 2005 which you may want to look at, but I don't know if it will suit your needs.

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/4286/

Maybe someone else will want to make it?

January 14, 2011 9:25:55 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK....So I guess you won't be the one who makes it. Fair enough. As for the skin, it has similar colors, not quite the same, but I kinda like it. Thanks for the reply.

January 14, 2011 9:51:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There are literally thousands of blinds to chose from here and I'm almost positive you'll find many with those colors/style...just add transparency through WB and you have your theme. I can't speak for any other skinner but if I don't feel it, I can't make it. If you're that passionate about the project, I believe you could summon up the skills yourself to make it happen. 

January 14, 2011 1:34:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting navigatsio,
but if I don't feel it, I can't make it.

I agree with this statement 100%.  Now, if someone were paying me to create this theme, I'm sure that would create some passion for the project.

NODReedemer, what you have to understand is that just because what you are asking isn't complicated, it's STILL a lot of work, a lot of hours that end up being spent away from family, away from other more enjoyable things.  There are a lot of images in Windows 7 that a skinner of this theme would have to create and imagine up on their own, things like the jump list images, and all the little explorer shell parts...the "guts" of the skin.

It's a lot more work than it looks.  If you don't believe me, just try skinning yourself.  OR,   <---(I choose this emoticon because this is what started my addiction to skinning) why don't you take the skin BoXXi created and linked to, and just mod it out to look like the one in the pictures you posted?  Just leave most of the little bits like he has them, and change the window frame and start panel.  Just follow the instructions for that here: http://forums.wincustomize.com/383174 and here: http://www.stardock.com/products/skinstudio/help/make_start_menu.htm

What is that saying about teaching a man to fish?

January 14, 2011 2:01:03 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Project taken... by me (as soon as I can find the time). 

January 14, 2011 4:10:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,
Project taken... by me (as soon as I can find the time). 

Good for you, Tom.    I grant you karma for your generosity.

January 14, 2011 4:39:54 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting k10w3,

Quoting LightStar, reply 9Project taken... by me (as soon as I can find the time). 

Good for you, Tom.    I grant you karma for your generosity.

Well thanks!

January 14, 2011 5:09:35 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

January 14, 2011 5:09:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Just as a quick sample NODRedeemer, I imagine something like this is what the start menu would look like:

Might be a little less on the transparency though. 

January 14, 2011 5:53:05 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think the transparency it just about right!  Especially if it has white text...

January 14, 2011 7:14:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks RPGFX.

January 15, 2011 11:51:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Great direction!

January 15, 2011 1:10:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting LightStar,

Just as a quick sample NODRedeemer, I imagine something like this is what the start menu would look like:

I believe this is even beter than I imagined this particular theme should look like. Great work. I think the level of transparency is just prefect.

I really didn't believe it's possible to recolor the left side of the window(orange in this case). All in all, this already looks pretty awesome to me.

Quoting k10w3,

It's a lot more work than it looks.  If you don't believe me, just try skinning yourself.  

Yes, I do know that making a WB theme takes a lot of hard work and commitment. I do understand that you people have other things beside this to attend to, as I'm sure I do. I did try to modify other themes to look like this, but I felt it would be best if some professional skinner made the original blind. Afterall, it's a pretty unique thing, and also I'm not very skillfull in doing this. Hell, I barely know how to use Photoshop even for simple things like resizing the images.

I really appreciate that LightStar accepted to do this, and I'm sure he won't regret it, as many people would find this blind interesting.

P.S.

I'm sorry I didn't replied sooner, I was away for a day, and couldn't use PC.

January 15, 2011 2:29:04 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Glad you like it so far NODReedemer.  I will work on it more as soon as I can, just wanted you initial input on my concept. 

January 15, 2011 9:27:23 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

OK, worked up a quick explorer layout, will look a little different when finished but you get the idea. 

January 15, 2011 9:38:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That looks pretty wicked Lightstar. 

January 16, 2011 4:03:09 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

bummer....the project is taken..... looks good though Tom. xx

January 16, 2011 6:54:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I forgot to mention, I really like the font style. I believe it fits this blind perfectly.

Quoting LightStar,
OK, worked up a quick explorer layout, will look a little different when finished but you get the idea.

Very nice.

January 16, 2011 7:38:45 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

off to a great start Tom...  looks sweet.. 

lovely colour combo....good suggestion NODReedemer..... 

January 16, 2011 9:26:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Looks really good, Tom!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002344   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.