Need help with video preview

By on January 13, 2011 9:39:56 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Pizentu

Join Date 01/2010
+8

First, I tried the search, but it doesnt work. Then I skimmed through the whole Animated wallpapers section and couldnt find anything on this.

I would like to now how to add a video preview to my Dreams. I know where to upload it and that it has to be .swf, but ...

1) what size do I upload it as? 

2) how do I convert to .SWF with After Effects? 

I tried uploading a .SWF preview file for my first Dream but it would never load. It would just freeze.

6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 13, 2011 10:14:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is a size limit now so it needs to be around 1.5 mb in size. The max resolution is 300 x whatever.

I suggest loading your video into after effects, rendering a new avi from it and resize the output file to 300x169. Then create a new composition and drop your 300x169 avi onto the comp and cut your time line down to around 10 seconds. At that point you click on File, export, Adobe Flash player(swf), name the file and click save. The swf settings box will pop up , choose jpeg quality 5, check the loop continuously box and click OK.

Your swf will create. Check the file size and if your around 1.5mb, your golden. If it's over 1.75, delete it, change your jpeg quality to 4 and create another one. Check the file size and if your around 1.5mb, your done. If not, try again.

You can also shorten the clip to 5 seconds to lower the file size.

Hope this helps. If you can't figure it out from these directions, let me know and I'll try to find time to create a training video this weekend.

January 13, 2011 10:42:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice. I will give it a try. Thanx for the fast reply. 

Also, Can I update a Dream and add the preview video? Or will it need to go through Moderation again? Also, when updating, do I need to reupload everything or only things being changed?

January 13, 2011 10:56:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Pizentu,
Nice. I will give it a try. Thanx for the fast reply. 

Also, Can I update a Dream and add the preview video? Or will it need to go through Moderation again? Also, when updating, do I need to reupload everything or only things being changed?

You can edit your discription without it going back into moderation but I'm not sure about the rest. 

I'm at Master rank so it's been a while since my uploads went through moderation. Maybe someone that knowns those answers will comment.

When updating you only need to upload what you are changing.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
January 14, 2011 1:10:08 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

ok, I have done just as you said. My preview file was under 10 seconds, it was .swf file, and it was 1.2 mb. After selecting it and it uploads, the "Submit" button continues to say, "Please wait". I tried with 2 different browsers but it does the same thing. I even gave it a few minutes incase it needed to process or whatever.  Any ideas?

January 14, 2011 2:30:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's been hit and miss for me with previews for the same reason as you describe.

If it helps, I've had the best luck with FireFox.

January 18, 2011 3:18:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I think I figured out how to get the video preview to work.

I just updated my Snake dream so that it runs 300% slower. When updating the dream, I uploaded the video preview first. The submit button still froze on "Please wait". Then I uploaded the new screen shot, then the modified dream. It then allowed me to submit. But I got a HUGE error page. So then I could not get back to my snake Dream. Every time I tried, I just got the Error page. After a few minutes, I tried again to see the Snake Dream, and the page opened like normal. I then saw I had the video preview option and to my surprise, it was working. I haven't gotten an email that my dream update was accepted. So I am not sure if it is live now or not.

I hope I am not ticking off any moderators. I am not trying to be a pest. Just trying to learn to get it right. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.