OD2 loses location of 64-bit programs

By on December 22, 2010 1:15:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

dond624

Join Date 08/2008

I use a zoomer dock with icons for folders that drop down as lists when I click on them. Some programs won't run from the dropdown list. For instance, with Comodo Internet Security I receive error msg

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\Comodo Internet Security\cfp.exe

The specified path does not exist

Check the path and try again."

Of course, that path doen't exist, because Comodo installs in C:\program files\Comodo...etc, not in C:\program Files (x86)!

If I click on Folder:Applications, which opens the Applications folder, the program opens fine. I've checked the shortcut and it points to the correct folder.

This seems to happen only on 64-bit programs.

What am I doing wrong?

27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 24, 2010 1:06:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have found that when adding 64 bit programs to the dock if you do it like below it works flawlessly

December 25, 2010 9:35:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Win 7 Home Premium

Objectdock Plus v2

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I wasn't clear.

Any shortcuts I attach directly to the dock work fine.

The problem is with a shortcut on the dock that opens a folder of program shortcuts, or drops down a list of those shortcuts (I have it selected to drop down a list). The list is all the commonly used programs on my computer. If I click on a shortcut for a 32-bit program, it runs OK. However, if I click on a 64-bit program, I get the error as stated below.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Comodo\Comodo Internet Security\cfp.exe

The specified path does not exist

Check the path and try again."

This error says it can't find the program (Comodo, in this case) in the 32-bit programs folder, which, of course, is true, because Comodo installs into the 64-bit programs folder.

So, the problem is, why does ObjectDock look in the wrong folder to find the program??? I have checked the shortcut over and over, and the program location (Target) is definitely shown as C:\Program Files\Comodo\Comodo Internet Security\cfp.exe.

If I open that same folder of program shortcuts, and then double-click on the Comodo shortcut, the program starts correctly.

December 25, 2010 9:44:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Updated revision of problem.

I apparently was wrong about 64-bit programs running independently from the dock. Not only won't Comodo run from the dock (returning the same error as before) but the program shortcut does not retain the program icon.

Is the answer to my problem as simple as Objetdock does not work correctly on 64-bit platforms?

sigh...

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
December 26, 2010 12:14:25 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Drag the Start Menu link to the dock. Re-start whatever program your linking to.

December 26, 2010 10:08:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks, yrag

Unfortunately that won't work either.

But I have found that if drag the program executable directly to the dock, OD will create a link that works. It even finds the correct icon. So that part is solved.

BUT, I still cannot run 64-bit programs from a drop down list of a folder full of shortcuts.

December 27, 2010 6:34:48 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You would think that they would have been in trouble by now for saying it works with 64 bit... I hope you didn't pay for the Pro version, otherwise, you deserve to have your money back. I keep checking on the forums to see when they actually will have it fully working so I can buy it!

April 7, 2012 1:53:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I too am having this problem with my 64bit applications. Hopefully it's fixed sooner than later.

November 18, 2012 5:33:37 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Same problem here, still no solution ?

November 18, 2012 4:53:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Google using %sysnative% in the path and you should be able to find a solution.

November 18, 2012 5:07:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Zubaz,
Google using %sysnative% in the path and you should be able to find a solution.

Teach a man to fish....

November 19, 2012 5:06:41 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks Zubaz but its nor that simple, especially for someone who uses apps like ObjectDock to simplify windows experience users like me - guess thats to complicated for me.

Sorry but this is a feature that should be build in into ObjectDock in my opinion.. I've googled %sysnative% and it should do the trick but for some reason I cannot force my shortcut to recognize %ProgramFiles% alias, I'm trying to run a shortcut to a 64bit app that works from any location but it doesn't work when its pined to ObjectDock. Using Windows 8 btw.

January 11, 2013 1:07:42 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

any update on this ?

I've used %ProgramFiles% in my shortcut and the shortcut works directly from a folder but it doesn't work from OD (the same folder with shortcuts is pinned to OD and set to show folder in a menu )

is there some action from the support still pending or are we left alone with this ?

January 11, 2013 2:01:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

At the moment there is no update to provide

January 20, 2013 2:17:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

See Reply 1 that works for 64 bit programs from object dock 2 plus

I have used the same format for IE64,Palemoon64,Snipping tool and all launch just fine

when loading apps from the system32 folder  you need to replace "System32" with "Sysnative"

January 20, 2013 4:16:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

see the reply #2 and #3.. I have the same problem, Last week another shortcut broke by itself, Photoshop CS6 64bit stopped launching from OD, no mater if the shortcut is in menu folder or pined by itself to the bar, even when I drag a new shortcut to OD directly from start menu or PS location, it doesn't work anymore, it has before... to be exact the shortcut I have is using %ProgramFiles% link

January 20, 2013 4:22:14 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This problem should stop if you fill in the "Start in" box . I have not dropped a shortcut since I started doing this.

January 24, 2013 11:06:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for advice but .... once again... I have my shortcuts in a folder, there is no way that I could edit these using OD setting. pls read the post because I have a feeling this is going backward. Starting form Post #1, this addresses shortcuts used like a menu pinned to OD.

Here is the first line of the first post: "I use a zoomer dock with icons for folders that drop down as lists when I click on them. Some programs won't run from the dropdown list."

January 25, 2013 4:32:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I am sorry snowak I did miss read the OP.   I see what you mean about the menu now . Have you tried using the flyout menu docklet?  You can add 64 bit programs to that and it works.

By creating a custom menu.

January 29, 2013 5:42:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thanks for advice, I did not try it before. It works fine but its not so handy in normal day usage, I rather choose a simple 'pick from list' menu. Scrolling trough icons gets annoying when they fly so fast, its just simpler to pick the shortcuts in the traditional way, but this flyout is fancier I must say

February 5, 2013 8:45:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is how i "fix" it:

copied from stacks help file:

Problem
x64 version of win 7
two Program Files folder. One for 64bit apps and one for 32bit apps. standalonestack gives error messages when I try to open a 64bit program over standalonestack 2:

---------------------
"Path to Shortcut"
The specified path does not exist.

Check the path, and then try again.
--------------------

For 32bit apps it works perfect

Temporary Fix
1. create a folder somewhere on your disk.
2. hold down shift on that folder, right-click and select open command window here.
3. type: mklink /D foldernameyoucreate "full path to original folder in quotes"
example: i created a folder called x64Fix on my disk to hold all my symbolic links for the apps that aren't working. i created my symbolic link inside of it like so (using photoshop as an example):
C:\x64Fix>mklink /D Photoshop "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)"
4. verify message that symbolic link was created (you should also see a shortcut arrow on the Photoshop folder).
5. You should then have a folder path like C:\x64Fix\Photoshop
6. Create your shortcut for the jumplist from C:\x64Fix\Photoshop folder path to the exe rather than the real path.
so, instead of your shortcut being:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe"
it will be
"C:\x64Fix\Photoshop\Photoshop.exe"

October 26, 2013 9:59:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just tried this out.  I can get it to work for Adobe products, but not office.  Any ideas?

October 26, 2013 1:28:25 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting knightblde,
Any ideas?
Yes, contact support@stardock.com, include a link to this thread and kindly ask for full 64bit support for a program you paid for.  Until enough users do this ObfectDock will remain frozen in the Age Of XP. ( I own both 1.9 and 2.xx but cannot use either until  SD activley supports it and 64 bit OSes)

Quoting Zubaz,
Google using %sysnative% in the path and you should be  able to find a solution.

With repies that, it isn't any wonder ZubaZ is no longer in support.

That being said, Office has alway been a different sort of animal.

October 26, 2013 4:48:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you xeroOne, your solution works great, I've fixed my shortcuts by creating symbolic links for them.Another thing is that my Photoshop shortcut started working by itself after win 8.1 update :? or maybe some Adobe update...  anyway I'm definitely hoping for some real fix from StarDock, newly created shortcuts don't seem to work so its kind of annoying. I have this problem since Windows 7 and now on Windows 8 (about 3 years ? ) and reported it back then so maybe now things will roll out.

January 10, 2014 2:57:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Glad I found this post.  I think I will hold off on the purchase of Star / Object Dock.  The lack of proper response from support in this thread does not inspire confidence.  Nice work around but that is insane to have to do all of that when Windows 64 has been mainstream for so many years.

January 25, 2014 8:06:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thats sadly the true.. this app is completely without support.... This workaround suddenly stopped working a while ago (guess it was after some windows updates) and today OD doesn't even start, it just freezes so I'm going to look for another program because this is too much.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000484   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.