Looking for Windowblinds skin recommendations

By on November 3, 2010 8:57:09 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

frankrizzonyc

Join Date 03/2010

It's been a long time since I've used Windowblinds, but I thought I might get into it again since I may be upgrading to Windows 7 soon from XP. I was hoping someone here could give me some skin recommendations. In general I've had a hard time finding WB skins I like on Wincustomize. I tend to like "clean" skins, flat-looking, clear edges, geometric shapes, etc. I would say I prefer minimalist ones, however if a skin has accents that work well together, that's good too.

While I'm not a linux user, I've found my favorite visual themes tend to be some of the defaults ones in different linux builds. Here are some screenshots I found where I like the skin used for the windows:

http://www.muylinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sawfish.jpeg (this one is probably my favorite)
http://titaniclinux.net/doclib/content/public/site-1/screenshots/screen14.jpg (second favorite)
http://rox.sourceforge.net/screens/desktop.png

Things I like:

-gradients
-pronounced geometric shapes (squares and rectangles especially)
-greys or neutral colors that can blend with any wallpaper
-flat-ish looking
-solid black lines/outlines
-simple, clean looking design

Things I do not like:

-glossy bars
-brushed metal look
-extra thick borders around windows
-strong colors that only fit with certain kinds of wallpapers
-excessively dark or bright color schemes
-low-contrast schemes that make it harder to distinguish buttons and lines (like white on light grey)
-skins that look very similar to default Windows or MacOS skins

Not to pick on the author, but here's a perfect example of a theme I DON'T like:

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/windowblinds/7263/

It has a glossy bars, a strong navy blue pattern, a dark focus overall that contrasts a lot with anything white, a checkboard pattern which muddies the look some (in my opinion), etc. I'm not criticizing the author's skill at all, just that aesthetically this is the opposite of what I'm looking for.

If anyone can give me recommendations based on this criteria, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 3, 2010 10:57:24 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

The best thing would be for you to take some time looking through the gallery. It's difficult to pick a WB for someone else, and who knows, you may find somethng you like that does not fit all that criteria.

November 3, 2010 11:11:50 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I have to agree with Xiandi.  What we tend to like on the computer screen is very different then from other things that we may accept suggestions on.  Lots of variables.  If you like a particular WindowBlind then the best suggestion would be to check out the others that the skinner has done.  You will probably find others from the skinner that you will like. 

November 3, 2010 11:28:40 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I also agree, but when you do, you can narrow your search by filtering. Just click the "Explore Filters" in the WindowBlinds Gallery and check off what you wish to silter for, example?  "Windows7 ready".

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
November 3, 2010 11:35:29 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Try these:

• Arsenic
  • Corporate
  • Flex Color
  • (and I will of course suggest my own Dialog)

I use all of the above regularly and they have a fair number of the qualities you list as important. Hope you find something you like!

November 3, 2010 12:40:18 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/all/search/Richter

November 3, 2010 11:10:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'll look into these.  I notice some of them are older skins.  How well does WB handle skins on Windows 7 that were designed for XP or 9x?  Will it mask things with a similar color scheme or do original elements really stand out?

November 4, 2010 6:37:10 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Don´t pick any of mine

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.