Select Icons Disappearing From Fences and Desktop

By on October 31, 2010 9:51:13 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

solara6

Join Date 07/2008

I have Fences Pro v1.01.4956 installed on a Windows 7 64 bit operating system. Periodically, some of the icons that I have placed within a fence disappear from that fence and the desktop. They cannot be reclaimed by restoring a snapshot.

What they have in common is that they point to files on a network drive. Sometimes not all of the icons pointing to files on the network drives disappear. Icons in the fences do not disappear from a reboot, just when the system is running. The network drives remain connected to the system. This happens every 2-3 days after I re-add them to the desktop and fence. Icons outside of fences on the desktop which point to files on a network drive do not disappear.

Is this a known issue with Fences Pro? Is there a work around? This does not happen on a Windows Vista 64 machine connected to the same network drives.

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 14, 2010 12:44:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

Fences should never delete icons from the desktop.  However, it sounds like you may have found a case where icons with targets that disappear are removed if inside of a Fence.  We will try to reproduce and fix this issue.

Zargon

February 21, 2011 8:44:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have the same issue, but it is on a USB drive (which is not always connected)

many of my icons are on external locations and or network locations. When i am offline, the icons are automatically removed and not added back when online.

very annoying

February 23, 2011 2:01:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have the same issue using the normal version of Fences on a Windows 7 Home 64-bit system. It deletes all shortcuts to network locations about every other week. It has happen to me three times so far.

Steve

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
March 7, 2011 7:04:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It happens here, too, with Fences Pro, on Windows 7 Pro 64, involving shortcuts to programs on a local drive.

There are two USB external drives on the machine but no icons from them on the desktop, and there are no mapped network drives.

March 7, 2011 11:07:56 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have this same problem and until reading these posts I could not figure out the common denominator.  I had my laptop powered on all weekend at home, not connected to my work network.  When I started it up this morning at work every icon with a shortcut to a network file or folder was gone.

This has happened several times in the past.  Must have something to do with not being able to find the targets for a long enough time frame.  I did NOT try to use any of the missing icons while at home and they were there when i powered down last night.

I am using Stardock Fences Pro v1.1.0.419.  Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (have not installed Service Pack 1)

March 8, 2011 1:38:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi there,

Could it be that it is not Fences but "Computer Maintenance" that is cleaning up broken links on your Desktop? I'm having the same issue on Windows 7 x64. I thought that it was Fences causing this until I found this post: http://www.ghacks.net/2010/03/30/fix-windows-7-desktop-shortcuts-disappearing/

I even found a microsoft knowledgebase article on the problem here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980

The workaround microsoft offers is to either:

1. Limit the number of broken links to 4 or less (keep in mind that a link to a network location that is not available, is broken to windows), or
  2. Disable system maintenance altogether (this last one seems like the least attractive to me since you won't have any system maintenance)

Please let me know if this helps.

Greetings,

Mark

March 27, 2013 10:52:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Has a solution been found for this?  I started using fences about two months ago and it is constantly happening.  Tends to be things on the network drive that disappear back down the tubes.

March 27, 2013 10:56:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

aburnett2, since this is an old thread your best course of action is to email support@stardock.com and start a trouble ticket.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000563   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.