Favorite classic films

By on September 17, 2010 2:14:26 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

terpfan1980

Join Date 08/2004
+13

Someone had suggested doing a Friday 5 type thing on classic films.  I've not done the Friday 5 thing before so can't tell if I'm doing it correctly or not, but regardless, I'm going to put up a chance for others to tell me what their favorite classic films are.  You can list 5, or 10, or 1 or 3, I don't really care what number you want to list.  The only real requirement I would place on things is that if you are going to label something a classic it needs to be more than 20 years old.  Newer films may eventually be worthy of being called classics, but for now I'm more interested in older classics, from earlier eras (like, for example, the Black & White era).

So, list some favorite classics films and perhaps comment on other people's choices.

I've already listed one of my own favorites (12 Angry Men) in a previous article.  I'll list a few other choices later, and will try not to take other people's choices (though for those that have good taste in classic films, that may be inevitable).

85 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 17, 2010 2:42:23 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Eh, call me impatient as I'm about to list a few other classics now...  actually it's more about having the time to do so and trying to put down some choices while I think about them.

Here's goes a few from my list:

An Affair to Remember.  Sappy, sweet, probably leans a bit more to the feminine side, but a great film with one of my favorite stars in it.  I could watch it over and over again and never tire of it.

It's a Wonderful Life.  Again sappy and sweet, but with a great message.  Again one of my all-time favorite stars in it (actually more than one of my favorites from the golden age).  While there was a period when I was a bit worn down from the insane number of airings that would happen around the holiday period that was rectified fairly quickly and now we get just a few showings a year.

North by Northwest.  Detecting a pattern with the favorite film stars? Well this one had one of my favorite directors as well.  You could name just about any Hitchcock film and I'd concur that it was  classic.  This one just hits all the right notes for me.

That's 3, plus the aforementioned 12 Angry Men, for a total of 4.  There's a bunch of others that I could list (The Sting, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (which I just got the collector's edition of on Blu-ray), Where Eagles Dare, Stalag 17, Arsenic and Old Lace and several others) that make it tough to choose an actual top 5 or top 10.  Realizing of course that I've not mentioned films with stars like John Wayne (where I'd have a difficult time choosing which film to list).

September 17, 2010 3:34:02 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I'll not duplicate yours, so here is my 5.

Paint Your Wagon - 1969 - Not B&W, but Clint and Lee singing?  never been done before or since! (Although Clint is a pretty good honky tonk singer).

McLintock - 1963. John Wayne and Maureen Ohara and a very young Stephanie Powers.  PLUS the source of one of the bloopers in the Mash Series!

In Harms Way - 1965 B&W - and it has Patricia Neal! Along with an all star cast! (Larry Hagman, Carol O'Connor, Kirk Douglas, Paula Prentiss, etc.)

Wizard of Oz - 1939 - yea, I am a sucker for that one.

Der Laengste Tage - Or as we know it - the Longest Day.  best War movie ever made!

September 17, 2010 4:41:49 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

best War movie ever made!

I love the film you listed, but I'm not sure I could give it that title as I love several other films in that genre, including The Great Escape (and the aforementioned and listed previously by me, Stalag 17).  One of my other favorites in the genre is Kelly's Heroes, but I also like The Devil's Brigade, A Bridge Too Far and a bunch of others, so I have a real tough time picking any single film there as my favorite.

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 18, 2010 10:40:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great list so far. I'd like to add, "The Wages of Fear" (1953). I originally saw this film on a Canadian cable channel called "Silver Screen Classics", and recently purchased it on Blu-Ray. It is available on the Criterion collection.

It is about a group of men who are trapped in South America with no way home. An opportunity presents itself to escape - if they survive a suicide mission first. Gripping and suspenseful, it rates 100% on the Tomatometer.

September 19, 2010 10:57:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

It's A Wonderful Life

The Man from Snowy River

The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

Arthur

A Christmas Carol (any version)

I love holiday movies

Dirty Harry movies.

September 20, 2010 8:47:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting terpfan1980,

I love the film you listed, but I'm not sure I could give it that title as I love several other films in that genre, including The Great Escape (and the aforementioned and listed previously by me, Stalag 17).  One of my other favorites in the genre is Kelly's Heroes, but I also like The Devil's Brigade, A Bridge Too Far and a bunch of others, so I have a real tough time picking any single film there as my favorite.

I cannot argue with you.  I had to pick one, so I picked that one.  But all the ones you list are in the top as well.  It is hard to pick just 5 and say that, but sometimes you have to fish instead of cut bait.

September 20, 2010 5:19:18 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Great films. I'll add:

Casablanca

The Quiet Man

The Bridge on the River Kwai

2001 A Space Odyssey

Easy Rider

September 21, 2010 11:25:56 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Easy Rider

That one is no surprise!

September 29, 2010 5:38:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

The Breakfast Club

The Changeling (1979 version with George C. Scott).

It Happened One Night

The Sandlot

The Cowboys

The Seekers

Blazing Saddles

Monty Python & the Holy Grail

The Jungle Book (Disney Cartoon version)

Robin Hood (Disney Cartoon Version)

The Lost Boys

October 1, 2010 10:22:12 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Yes to it  happened one night Ted.  Okay crossing that one off and adding another. 

Johnny Belinda

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Sunset Boulevard

of course, Gone with the Wind

The Thin Man

oh and my vote for favorite war movie would be Seargant York

August 6, 2011 11:20:51 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Cool Hand Luke

Papillon

Three Days of the Condor

Outlaw Josey Wales

Godfather

August 7, 2011 4:05:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Goonies is the best movie ever made.

August 7, 2011 11:39:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Its scary, I have seen, and truly enjoyed all the movies mentioned above so far. My top five:

Modern Times (Charlie Chaplin)

**King of Hearts

Thelma and Louise

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

All About Eve

August 7, 2011 11:52:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Dune

August 8, 2011 1:22:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Which Dune.. several movie versions.... (just curious..)

August 9, 2011 11:45:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm..tough

An American in Paris

Planet of the Apes

Hombre

Dr No

The Caine Mutiny 

or...

The Enemy Below

The Time Machine

Singing in the Rain

The French Connection

Play Misty for Me

either way--popcorn with real butter!

August 9, 2011 11:56:49 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The Emperor's New Groove - Amazing job, only Disney movie I like.

Princess Bride - Classic

What's Up Doc? - Hilarious, not much else to be said

I'm not really a TV person, so my choices are very limited

August 10, 2011 11:21:09 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting myfist0,
Cool Hand Luke

Papillon

Three Days of the Condor

Outlaw Josey Wales

Godfather

Yours are excellent as well (although I would not put Three Days in the top). Especially The Outlaw Josey Wales (I read the Godfather, so the movie was a let down, although still excellent).

August 10, 2011 11:35:11 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Dr Guy,
although I would not put Three Days in the top

I was very young when I seen that and it was the light bulb over my head moment that maybe governments can't be trusted. My mistrust has gown leaps and bounds since.

The rest of my heroes are outlaws   .

August 12, 2011 4:49:57 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting myfist0,
I was very young when I seen that and it was the light bulb over my head moment that maybe governments can't be trusted. My mistrust has gown leaps and bounds since.

I can see the influence on you!

August 12, 2011 5:06:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've always had a tremendous amount of affection for Murder By Death, a parody of murder&detective stories/films. It's a perfect mix of slapstick humor, almost stand-up comedy, and a deeper sort of "this doesn't make any sense whatsoever" type humor. For example, when everybody tries to guess who did it and why, one detective X accuses the murderer of being detective X, and himself only being hired to pretend like he was the detective X. But we find out that is not the case. The person then answers the question of if he really was who he said he wasn't, with the statement "That's right, baby. I was in disguise in disguise in disguise. You work hard for 50 bucks a day in this racket".

August 12, 2011 5:18:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm gonna go with Labyrinth for this one. It's a really fun movie that has a lot of interesting concepts to think about.

August 25, 2011 8:42:32 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well. tbf, i am not much of a fan of older, i mean lets say pre-80s movies, as lot of them had some weird way of story-telling. One example for all, old James Bond movies with Connery, Dalton etc...i always found a story of them somehow chaotic, unlike the newer ones with Pierce Brosnan, which feel more structured, action packed etc... its hard to explain the difference, but there is one for me. But this is true not only  for James Bond, i felt this way in general, when watching old movies.

Anyway, i was always fond of Louis de Funes movies, they were lot on local TVs, when i was a kid and i still consider them brilliant, especially Fantomas, or the one,  where he is hibernated and then after years brought back to life... oh and the Grand Restaurant of Mr. Septimus and that scene with him speaking German

another great comedian was Paolo Villagio, his "Troubles of Mr. Accountant" is one of my fav comedies ever.

January 26, 2012 1:57:34 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

This Is Spinal Tap

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Harold And Maude

Clerks

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Evil Dead II

Plan 9 From Outer Space

The Shawshank Redemption

Freaks

The Big Lebowksi

January 26, 2012 2:48:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gold Rush (Charlie Chaplin)

- Buster Keaton, Fatty Arbuckle too

The Third Man (hence my avatar)

Duck Soup (Chico Marx is a great piano player and poor gambler)

The Trial (Orson Well's adaptation)

Most Ingmar Bergman movies

The Lady From Shanghai (Rita Hayworth, need I say more?)

On The Waterfront

A Streetcar Named Desire (Stelllllaaaaaa!!)

Elevator To The Gallows

Anything by François Truffaut

Shoot The Piano Player

Charlie Chan movies are a diversion

Le Circe Rouge

Woody Allen is a mixed bag but always something to like

oh, the list goes on and on

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000765   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.