Object Desktop 2011 wishlist

What can we do for you?

By on September 13, 2010 8:48:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1109

The Windows "ecosystem" is complex these days. There's Windows XP users, Windows Vista users and Windows 7 users both in 32 and 64 bit versions which require their own versions believe it or not if you want to fully support it.

Our question to you, what would YOU like to see in the next major revision of Object Desktop?

If you don't have Object Desktop already, what are you waiting for?!

www.objectdesktop.com

109 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 13, 2010 9:24:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A Rightclick replacement or update for W7x64

mutli-monitor taskbar in Windowblinds that shows monitor specific tasks.....

September 13, 2010 9:27:57 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Lantec,
A Rightclick replacement or udate for W7x64

September 13, 2010 9:36:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

A new improved version of DesktopX, complete with plugins that work with Win 7, with UAC (if it must). One that has plugins for meters that work with 64 bit, and that read up to 12 GB of ram and such, like today's modern rigs have.

One that makes it easier to create things that end users can use without a big learning curve. DesktopX has so much potential.  

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 13, 2010 9:37:00 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

DX 4+ that is fully functional and a revamp of the plug-ins.

Jim paid me a lot to write that.

*whoops. Jim, I swear I posted this w/o seeing your reply.

September 13, 2010 9:49:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

For windows 7 (64 bit): WindowFX would be cool. Also, a more stable version of objectbar would be cool.

September 13, 2010 10:21:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Win 7 64 right click, (with save layout funtionality),  and a functioning/plugins DX4 for Win7 64

September 13, 2010 10:31:51 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Only one wish, the most difficult.  What ever programs that end up in Object Desktop 2011 work as they are advertised. 

Yes I want to see a Right Click program and a functioning DX program and a WindowFX program and maybe some new ones added to the basics.  But working programs.

September 13, 2010 10:34:01 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Nice wish John!  Good thinking. 

September 13, 2010 10:35:34 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know it's just me and my sick sense of humor, but the existence of this thread fills me with inner rueful laughter.

Frogboy, how about, instead of posting a thread like this, you simply read this one: http://forums.wincustomize.com/395665

September 13, 2010 10:51:31 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Oh, how on ever could I forget to mention an updated Theme Manager program so that making Suites for the Themes that the community skinners do becomes so easy that everyone does them.  It should also be able to included all the popular skins, or atleast all the libraries that are set up in WinCustomize.

Please 

September 13, 2010 10:57:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Dump the archaic Operating Systems and focus solely on Win 7 32/64.

Chasing legacy 'issues' is about as sensible as creating 4bit icons [still] for Windows 3x. or let's all dash out and create new and exciting skins for kJofol and Sonique.....

One thing that HAS changed over the years in skinning....is the 'unfortunate' spread of OS versions.

Time to cull....

September 13, 2010 11:15:59 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Jafo,
Dump the archaic Operating Systems and focus solely on Win 7 32/64.

Chasing legacy 'issues' is about as sensible as creating 4bit icons [still] for Windows 3x. or let's all dash out and create new and exciting skins for kJofol and Sonique.....

One thing that HAS changed over the years in skinning....is the 'unfortunate' spread of OS versions.

Time to cull....

You just earned the Best Answer Ever award!!!   That was a statement that I agree with, whole heartedly!!   But, prepare for the onslaught of Xtreme Procrastinators!!!  

September 13, 2010 11:37:41 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Quoting Jafo, reply 11Dump the archaic Operating Systems and focus solely on Win 7 32/64.

Time to cull....

You just earned the Best Answer Ever award!!!   That was a statement that I agree with, whole heartedly!!   But, prepare for the onslaught of Xtreme Procrastinators!!!  

Best ever answer award? BS.

Plenty of business systems and lots of regular users continue with XP.

One of the best skinners on this site...the guy who built up the Object Dock Gallery (and taught plenty of folks how to make docks) and now the Winstep Gallery has XP and because he's ill lost his job. He can't afford new toys. And the folks with the new toys seem to have forgotten him. He's just one.

He stands by WC and SD. Time to cull? Take a survey first. Find out how many customers you'll lose before plunging.

How about him (and other customers) getting the same loyalty?

Don't overestimate the Vista/7 market. Yeah, it's a PIA to skin 3 OS's (not from personal knowledge from what skinners say), but how about a survey?

What percentage of the membership has which OS? Why not get facts?

September 14, 2010 12:19:47 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Plenty of business systems and lots of regular users continue with XP.

Probably MOST 'business systems' continue with XP...but then MOST 'business systems' do NOT use any form of GUI modification/skinning.

I am sure there are 'squillions' of users out there hanging on in grim death to Win98, but if Microsoft is relinquishing support for 'legacy' OSs then so should everyone else...unless THEIR particular interest IS in 'legacy' - DosBOX, for one.

I really don't think it's about "how many customers you'll lose" as if they are existing customers using existing product/resources [skins] then nothing changes.

It is the focus upon the NEW User that is important....and for development to keep up with where Microsoft is dragging us....willingly or not.

XP is 'legacy', Vista was an aberration, 32bit and 64bit flavours of OSs compounds the issue [if not at skinner level then at proggy dev level].

The reality is there are people out there still using Win98....and there are skins on Wincustomize.com that were created for Win98....pre XP.  The 'customer' is still 'served'.  Why cannot the same apply with/for XP users?

Should 'we' jump up and down and demand skinners ALSO skin for 98?....95?

Left to THEIR OWN devices skinners will skin for the OS/s THEY use....unless it's a Master/commercial skin with which they wish to snare the greatest customer base.  I [still] skin for WinAMP 2.9x .....for me.... for the fact I still use it.  I really don't care that [maybe] no-one else uses it...but if they do...well and good.....they can have it too.

Problem is....MUST I then make damn sure MY 2.9x skin also works perfectly on WA5 [or whatever the number is up to] or I may not upload it?

It's patently unfair AND difficult to impose on skin uploaders that they 'MUST' skin all 'three' versions, particularly when one ver alone is a pain in the bum to do these days.

Why are there fewer skins [and skinners]?  Could it be simply that it's all getting too much like hard work?

The 'FUN' has left skinning?...

September 14, 2010 12:36:00 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I know at least 2 top notch skinners who have told me that they don't see how they can be forced to skin an OS they don't have. It's just not feasible.

September 14, 2010 12:41:38 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

How many use which system?

As for WG? He has so many skins he'll never be able to use 1% of them. And when he does? He'll use WinStep. That works just fine (as well as the skins) with just one style all are skinned. It's WB that is problematic in that regards. He can adapt any skin to Winstep, no matter the OS.

Skinning is great, but don't forget computers actually do other things besides change shirts. There are TONS of opportunities in the business world. Hell, the businesses aren't hiring people, they're buying computers and software, etc. So....go where the market is!

So...like I say: Do a survey. Find out if skinners should be obliged to do all the OS's. Just base it on fact, not on a whim.

As for 98 and 95, let's not argue hyperbole.

Let's get the facts. I bet close to 50% are using XP and Vista/7 share the rest. Put my guess to the test.

September 14, 2010 12:53:52 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

From http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Aug 2010; Win7 22.3%, Vista 10.5%, WinXP 53.1%, Linux 4.9%, Mac 6.7%

September 14, 2010 1:07:39 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Aug 2010; Win7 22.3%, Vista 10.5%, WinXP 53.1%, Linux 4.9%, Mac 6.7%

Assuming those as accurate...factor in the time each has been released and I vaguely remember somewhere it being said [by MS] that Win7 was/is the fastest-shifting of any new OS release.

The bloody thing just WORKS.  None of the others did. [I've used them all].

It'll be a race to see which dies out 'totally' first....Vista or XP...

September 14, 2010 1:37:13 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Reading through the forums should have made this thread unneccessary. That's why my biggest wish is someone at SD would be responsible for reading through the forums and actually collects and reports valid user feedback.

- DesktopX 4 + plugins

- RightClick rewrite

- Make everything work with 7/64bit (IconPackager still has issues with folders on 64bit for example).

- I personally would really love the return of IconX on Vista/7, but I guesss that won't happen.

NON OD apps :

- Fix the incompatibilities between CursorFX and Multiplicity (disappearing cursor)

- Finish ObjectDock 2 (buildi native stacks would be a plus) and stop disregarding it because of Fences.

That is until the next game comes along...

September 14, 2010 1:47:56 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well, I can see one thing SD has to contend with that is bound to make things hard.

If you read these forums well, you'll see that Joe, who has Win 7, 64 bit is having problems with OD Plus.

Then, you'll note that Janey, who also has Win 7 64 bit, is not having any problem whatsoever with OD plus.

Point? So many PCs out there with so many different configurations. It's got to be damn near impossible to fix everything for everyone.

I hear a lot of people with my same OS complain of a problem here, or a glitch there that mostly are problems I never see with the same OS. Then I experience different problems that others don't have.

No one can say that SD hasn't fixed ANYTHING we have reported. Because that's just not true.

September 14, 2010 1:52:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Well what I see often is that Janey says it works perfectly for her because she is not using / doesn't have the need to use the same things/plugins that Joe uses.

EDIT : And then the classic : Janey calls Joe a whiner because he has problems she doesn't have.

September 14, 2010 1:55:37 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Windows 8 compatibility, with 128 bit support in the works. 

In other words, I want the most up to date, leading edge, forward thinking software on the planet. Bring on your betas, I'm ready. 

September 14, 2010 1:56:12 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting c242,
Well what I see often is that Janey says it works perfectly for her because she is not using / doesn't have the need to use the same things/plugins that Joe uses.

Agreed, but it doesn't change the fact that fixing everything for everyone would be a daunting task.

September 14, 2010 2:01:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Jim paid me a lot to write that.

And I just stopped payment on the check, you weren't supposed to tell!! 

September 14, 2010 2:03:23 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I want stuff so good, I'll need to upgrade something just to run it!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.