Text Select cursor Auto-hide

By on August 30, 2010 11:43:27 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Selvan777

Join Date 08/2010

Hi,

I'm using Cursor FX v 2.05 with the theme, Drop Plus.

When in a text box the text select cursor hides after about 3 seconds of no movement. Is there a way to change that?

Also, sometimes after clicking in the text area, the blinking insertion point also hides, but perhaps that's due to the app with the text?

Thanks,

Selvan

28 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 31, 2010 5:03:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

anybody?

August 31, 2010 6:00:21 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just tried it on Win7/64bit and don't see this issue. You might try deleting it and redownloading and installing it again. You can get it here: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/cursorfx/79/

August 31, 2010 6:30:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi Selvan777,

This sounds like a font color issue rather than a Cursor FX problem.  I had something similar happen to me once.  It turned out that the selected/highlighted text color was the same as the background color.  Thus, when I highlighted text, it "disappeared."  If you are using WindowBlinds, it is very easy to change font colors.  Just select "Fonts" at the bottom of the page and then select Change Individual Skin Fonts.  If your text and background colors are almost the same, change one of them to a different color.  If you don't like the change, you can easily go back to the default color.

If you are not using WindowBlinds, go to the Control Panel and select Personalization. Window Color, and then Advanced Appearance Settings.  There you can change the system colors including fonts.  You can also change the default font sizes, etc.  Fun stuff! 

There are many great features available to you once you register. Sign Up for a free account and browse the forums without ads.
September 1, 2010 10:57:57 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi,

Okay, no, I obviously am not describing the problem I'm having clearly enough because the cursor is acting like Windows normal Pointer Option  'hide pointer while typing' is selected.  It was un-selected before installing Cursor FX.

Let me explain, when I mouse over text in this Quick Reply pane text box, the normal cursor (droplet) turns into a text cursor (a vertical line with a tiny round dot at each end).  That text cursor is un-animated and steady-on.  I can left-click which places a blinking vertical line there, drag to select text, the text is highlighted in blue clearly and I can do functions as expected.

Trouble is in some text boxes on the web after clicking to type and pondering for 3 secs, not only does the Cursor FX text cursor hide, the blinking insertion point's vertical line also hides leaving me blinded as to where I am on the page.  And, to make matters worse, clicking in the text box again does not bring back any cursor or insertion point.  I've since found that if I click outside the box first then back in the box, it all comes back again but onl for another 3 secs... that gets real annoying, if you know what I mean.

So, I'm hoping, if I can turn-off this auto hide behavior I'm experiencing with Cursor FX I can perhaps get around those text boxes I run across daily that seem to behave abnormally elsewhere on the web.

Thanks for the support and these really cool cursors,

Selvan

September 1, 2010 11:18:48 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's possible that another process is stealing 'focus' of the mouse cursor....that the 3 seconds of 'inactivity' allows another process to start and the cursor is no longer within the text box.

September 1, 2010 11:40:19 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Whatever happened to the hide cursor after a few minutes? CursorXP had it. Wish it were back in CursorFX.

September 1, 2010 11:49:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have it, seemingly, built-in permanently in mine, please take it...

September 1, 2010 2:12:32 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

It's possible that another process is stealing 'focus' of the mouse cursor....that the 3 seconds of 'inactivity' allows another process to start and the cursor is no longer within the text box.

I second this possibility, I have been using Drop Plus since seeing this thread yesterday with no issues at all. Windows XP SP3, CursorFX Plus.

September 1, 2010 2:33:17 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will ask again.

Whatever happened to the hide cursor after a few minutes? CursorXP had it. Wish it were back in CursorFX.

September 1, 2010 2:44:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Selvan777...

(1) which OS are you on (this does matter actually)

(2) have you tried another cursor

Try this one and let me know what you find!!

September 1, 2010 2:48:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't think it's another process stealing focus because if the pointer is left with inactivity else where on the page, it merely sleeps there visibly indefinitely.

The next time I run across this situation I'll bookmark it, boot cleanly, and see what happens.

Perhaps it makes a difference, I'm on Win7HomePremium64bit.

What did happen to this feature of hiding the cursor in CursorXP (I enver had CursorXP), perhaps the fix for me lies in it?

September 1, 2010 2:59:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

theAVMAN, sorry, didn't see your post till after the fact. 

I'm using Win7HomePremium64bit.

With the transcend theme, the inverted dumbbell looking  cursor remains, even while typing, just the way I like it but wish to have it with DropPlus.

September 1, 2010 3:19:06 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling Drop Plus, it may be a corrupt download.

Since the delete function from CursorFX config is hit and miss at best, delete cursor from the folder, XP path is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes.

September 1, 2010 6:54:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was able to delete it from CursorFX. Downloaded and installed from http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/cursorfx/79/ and it still does the same thing.  Is there a better place to get it from?

September 2, 2010 4:18:53 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I will ask again.

WHY will noone answer this? I have asked on several threads and have not heard a reply. Anyone monitoring these threads?

September 2, 2010 6:41:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, just to follow-up to end this thread.

Seems to me Drop Plus has auto-hide built-in.

So, I've dumped it for another theme.

September 3, 2010 8:38:32 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Selvan777,
Well, just to follow-up to end this thread.

Seems to me Drop Plus has auto-hide built-in.

So, I've dumped it for another theme.
Have you tried opening Drop Plus in the CFX Theme Editor found here:C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\CursorFX  and seeing if you can tweak the settings for that theme? You could also just replace that text select graphic. There are some great cursor makers here(including the fellow in reply #10) that can help answer any questions about its use.

September 3, 2010 9:43:45 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Hi again.  I am using Drop Plus with Windows 7 32 bit.  I cannot get it to duplicate the problem Selvan777 was having.  It's a fun cursor and working fine here.  Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

September 5, 2010 10:30:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Wizard1956,
Have you tried opening Drop Plus in the CFX Theme Editor...

I just did but can't figure out how to open that particular theme in it for edit.

Quoting Cameochi,
...Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Thanks so much for trying.

p.s. I did reply to theAVMAN, but ....he must be busy

September 5, 2010 12:27:28 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I just did but can't figure out how to open that particular theme in it for edit.

Run Theme editor, and click on File at the top, then open. Browse to your cursors in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\CursorFX\Themes and select  Drop Plus.

You should then be able to mod the cursor. Don't forget to save a back up of the original in case the mod goes awry.

It's a long holiday weekend so you may have to wait for a response from theAVMAN.

September 5, 2010 12:32:19 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Better yet, to edit the cursor, open CFX and choose Drop Plus as if you were gonna use it, then go to the far right and click the pencil. Voila!

September 5, 2010 12:56:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Selvan777,
theAVMAN, sorry, didn't see your post till after the fact. 

I'm using Win7HomePremium64bit.

With the transcend theme, the inverted dumbbell looking  cursor remains, even while typing, just the way I like it but wish to have it with DropPlus.

Quoting Selvan777,

p.s. I did reply to theAVMAN, but ....he must be busy

Selvan sorry for responding slow I have been working a lot.

1st... The reason I asked about the OS I have noticed a few glitches with it on Vista primarily but on win7 it seems very stable.

2nd.. After applying Transcend you should not have the dumbell any more if you did someting did not apply correctly.

3rd.. I forgot to ask if you are using the free version of CFX or not?

if you are runningg the free version I suggest an unistall reboot and reinstall because if the dumbell remained after

applying Transcend then there is definately a glitch somewhere.

I will be gald to try and help!

September 5, 2010 12:56:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedneckDude,
Better yet, to edit the cursor, open CFX and choose Drop Plus as if you were gonna use it, then go to the far right and click the pencil. Voila!

Great tip, thanks.

I'll play around in there and see what I can do.

September 5, 2010 1:14:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi theAVMAN,

If not the dumbell, what should I see?

I hope I don't have to buy, cause I'm using the free CursorFX v2.05

I will try the R&R as you suggest and report back if the dumbell is still there

Thanks for the help.

September 5, 2010 11:22:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, I uninstalled CursorFX, rebooted, reinstalled a fresh download, opened it, and all the previous installed cursors still appeared, including Transcend.  So I deleted it and reinstalled, but I still see the dumbell.  Drop Plus also still behaves the same way.

Listen, I don't mind troubleshooting if that's what you want to do, it's up to you.

Because I'd just as well go with a different theme if you've got bigger and better things to do.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time:

Home | About | Privacy | Upload Guidelines | Terms of Service | Help
WinCustomize © 2014 Stardock Corporation. All Rights Reserved.